AVS Forum banner

32381 - 32400 of 32544 Posts

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I decided to follow Sissy Spacek from Carrie to An American Haunting. This one had everything it needed to be a scary movie but it just wasn't. After watching that one I moved on with Donald Sutherland to an old favorite, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Paul Reubens' death scene is one of the best ever to be filmed.

1. The Craft
↑ Breckin Meyer ↓
2. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
↑ Robert Englund ↓
3. Lake Placid: The Final Chapter
↑ Jonas Talkington ↓
4. Lake Placid 2
↑ Cloris Leachman ↓
5. Young Frankenstein
↑ Peter Boyle ↓
6. Species II
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
7. Bloodrayne
↑ Meat Loaf ↓
8. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
↑ Patricia Quinn ↓
9. Lords of Salem
↑ Bruce Davison ↓
10. Insidious: The Last Key
↑ Joseph Bishara ↓
11. Annabelle: Creation
↑ Lulu Wilson ↓
12. Becky
↑ Ryan McDonald ↓
13. Halloween: Resurrection
↑ Katee Sackhoff ↓
14. Don't Knock Twice
↑ Javier Botet ↓
15. It Chapter Two
↑ James McAvoy ↓
16. Split
↑ Betty Buckley ↓
17. Carrie
↑ Sissy Spacek ↓
18. An American Haunting
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
19. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
Hopefully drive-ins will make a comeback. I used to love goin to those when I was kid.

The sound quality was terrible of course. But probably no worse than what I heard in theaters the last few times I went, before the pandemic. And I'm sure there are better ways of doing it now.
Tenet is playing at 9:25 tonight at the West Wind Solano Drive-In but it's probably a bit out of your way. :D

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
The Omen

The Omen is a classic. As a kid I was fascinated by the book of Revelations and was scarred for life by The Exorcist. The movie aired on TV a lot so it was absorbed in parts over time until one day I actually watched it all the way through.

It is the story of a highly connected ambassador (Peck) and his wife losing a newborn and getting a back room adoption from a priest. As the child ages he is surrounded by strange events leading up to the uncovering of a prophecy on the return of the AntiChrist. Little Damien is one creepy kid, needless to say.

People can dissect the scripture forever on this movie or let it be and deep dive on the symbolism. It's loaded to the brim. It surprisingly holds up when you consider the class warfare we face today from the seats of power with various types above the law and flaunting it basically not disproving conspiracies of the elite. We know there are the "chosen" out there in the "club" and to paraphrase George Carlin, you ain't in it.

As for the movie it's very well made, has an awesome if understated soundtrack, and the build ups to any violence are expertly handled. It isn't necessarily scary but the ideas are. As science typically and slowly backs up the ancient texts in our modern age it also extinguishes the magic of those times and becomes the religion it sought to disable, hiding the things they do not want to be in the light. The reverse of the old days when many religions did that to science. The rest of us are left in the middle confused on picking a side or blindly bolstering one.

While not the masterclass in terror that The Exorcist is, The Omen series does pair well with those but follows a bigger set of ideas versus the more intimate focus of The Exorcist. One could argue The Omen is more realistic as it lives inside political machinations as opposed to The Exorcist's being more localized.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I decided to follow Sissy Spacek from Carrie to An American Haunting. This one had everything it needed to be a scary movie but it just wasn't. After watching that one I moved on with Donald Sutherland to an old favorite, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Paul Reubens' death scene is one of the best ever to be filmed.

1. The Craft
↑ Breckin Meyer ↓
↑ Robert Englund ↓
↑ Jonas Talkington ↓
4. Lake Placid 2
↑ Cloris Leachman ↓
5. Young Frankenstein
↑ Peter Boyle ↓
6. Species II
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
7. Bloodrayne
↑ Meat Loaf ↓
↑ Patricia Quinn ↓
9. Lords of Salem
↑ Bruce Davison ↓
↑ Joseph Bishara ↓
↑ Lulu Wilson ↓
12. Becky
↑ Ryan McDonald ↓
↑ Katee Sackhoff ↓
14. Don't Knock Twice
↑ Javier Botet ↓
15. It Chapter Two
↑ James McAvoy ↓
16. Split
↑ Betty Buckley ↓
17. Carrie
↑ Sissy Spacek ↓
18. An American Haunting
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
I've always liked Kristy Swanson. Thought she could have been a bigger star. I've only seen Buffy once when it first came out. Don't remember much. Forgot Rutger and Peewee were in it. You should follow Kristy from Buffy to Highway to Hell. It's a fun movie with lots of cameos. In fact, I'mma add that to my list.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

1. The Craft
↑ Breckin Meyer ↓
↑ Robert Englund ↓
↑ Jonas Talkington ↓
4. Lake Placid 2
↑ Cloris Leachman ↓
5. Young Frankenstein
↑ Peter Boyle ↓
6. Species II
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
7. Bloodrayne
↑ Meat Loaf ↓
↑ Patricia Quinn ↓
9. Lords of Salem
↑ Bruce Davison ↓
↑ Joseph Bishara ↓
↑ Lulu Wilson ↓
12. Becky
↑ Ryan McDonald ↓
↑ Katee Sackhoff ↓
14. Don't Knock Twice
↑ Javier Botet ↓
15. It Chapter Two
↑ James McAvoy ↓
16. Split
↑ Betty Buckley ↓
17. Carrie
↑ Sissy Spacek ↓
18. An American Haunting
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
I've always liked Kristy Swanson. Thought she could have been a bigger star. I've only seen Buffy once when it first came out. Don't remember much. Forgot Rutger and Peewee were in it. You should follow Kristy from Buffy to Highway to Hell. It's a fun movie with lots of cameos. In fact, I'mma add that to my list.
Or....may I suggest Flowers in the Attic for Kristy. Solid flick that was on my list last year (I believe)

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Return to Savage Beach (1998). The sequel to 1989's critically acclaimed box office sensation Savage Beach and part of the Andy Sidaris collection. This has been remastered so you can see the big guns in all their HD glory. And no worries if you can't swim, there's plenty of flotation devices bouncing around.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Or....may I suggest Flowers in the Attic for Kristy. Solid flick that was on my list last year (I believe)
Flowers in the Attic is another one I've only seen once and don't recall much of. Wasn't Nurse Ratchet in it?

·
Registered
833 Posts
The
Bad
Seed
(1956)
Blu-Ray

First Time View
Nominated for 4 Oscars

A housewife suspects that her seemingly perfect eight-year-old daughter is a heartless killer.

Director: Mervyn LeRoy Writers: John Lee Mahin (screenplay), Maxwell Anderson (play) Stars: Nancy Kelly, Patty McCormack, Gage Clarke

Movies about kids who kill is a most noble tradition. It's yielded a cornucopia of depraved little buggers who've sliced and diced their way through a variety of thrillers and horror films with all the requisite required to deliver maximum visceral impact. Little Michael Myers in John Carpenter's Halloween, standing ever so still in the front yard of the quaint suburban home. Damien, the pubescent Antichrist from Richard Donner's The Omen remains one of the more memorable killers in movie history .

The cinematic patriarch of this delightful genre well may have been Director Mervyn LeRoy's astounding late 50s film adaptation of William March's bestselling novel and Maxwell Anderson's hit play The Bad Seed.The story goes that director Mervyn LeRoy was so enthralled with the Broadway production of "The Bad Seed" that he was content to basically just shoot the play as it was, flying a sizable chunk of the cast to Hollywood and keeping virtually the entire movie set in the Penmarks' living room.

This is a fantastic classic horror film . I very much enjoyed the stagy feel like a filmed play, as the staging, the dialog, and the entrances and exits of the characters throughout the film seem to be lifted directly from the stage version. Reminiscent of 'The Petrified Forest' , a 1936 American film directed by Archie Mayo and based on Robert E. Sherwood's 1935 Broadway drama of the same name staring Betty Davis, Leslie Howard and Humphrey Bogart . I very much enjoy this personalized style of film making. The Bad Seed is a prime example why stage plays need to be adapted for the screen.

Rhoda is the perfect child for the perfect All-American family. Wrapping her arms around Daddy, she chirps: "What will you give me for a basket of kisses?"

Daddy responds, as he clearly does every time she asks: "Why, I'll give you a basket of hugs!"

Rhoda is perfection incarnate. She's also spoiled, jealous and a sociopath.

The Bad Seed is propelled by a terrific performance by Patty McCormack, who at the time was the youngest actor or actress to have ever been nominated for an Academy Award.Best Actress in a Supporting Role. Part of what makes Rhoda such a fascinating character is that she sincerely doesn't believe anything she does is wrong.Want. Take. Have. If she wants something, any means to that end are wholly justified in her eyes. She is brilliant.

Many, many of the performances have a deliriously over-the-top theatricality to them, lending the film a level of campiness that actually works in its favor. The Bad Seed wouldn't be nearly as much fun if it were somber and subdued, and somehow that campy edge never stomps all over the eeriness of its most intense moments. The Bad Seed is completely and utterly over-the-top.The movie is a melodrama, and as such, is great melodrama. Creepy, demented kids deliver first-rate entertainment value. 7/10

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10
14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10

17. Proxy (2013) F.T.V. 9/10

18. The Bad Seed (1956) F.T.V. 7/10

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Return to Savage Beach (1998). The sequel to 1989's critically acclaimed box office sensation Savage Beach and part of the Andy Sidaris collection. This has been remastered so you can see the big guns in all their HD glory. And no worries if you can't swim, there's plenty of flotation devices bouncing around.
I have the Andy Sidaris Girls, Guns and G-strings 12 film set on DVD. Mill Creek crammed 4 movies on each disc (2 on each side) so the picture quality is pretty bad. The guns are certainly big enough that you can still see them, but no HD glory here.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I didn't follow Kristy Swanson from Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I have a handful of her movies but the only one other than Buffy that is remotely horror is Swamp Shark and I wasn't in the mood to watch that one. I decided to stick with Donald Sutherland and watch Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). Kevin McCarthy had a small role in that one as "Running Man" so for my next movie I watched him take the lead in the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Both versions are great. I stayed with Kevin McCarthy and watched The Howling next. Insomnia sucks but at least I had some good movies to help pass the time.

1. The Craft
↑ Breckin Meyer ↓
↑ Robert Englund ↓
↑ Jonas Talkington ↓
4. Lake Placid 2
↑ Cloris Leachman ↓
5. Young Frankenstein
↑ Peter Boyle ↓
6. Species II
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
7. Bloodrayne
↑ Meat Loaf ↓
↑ Patricia Quinn ↓
9. Lords of Salem
↑ Bruce Davison ↓
↑ Joseph Bishara ↓
↑ Lulu Wilson ↓
12. Becky
↑ Ryan McDonald ↓
↑ Katee Sackhoff ↓
14. Don't Knock Twice
↑ Javier Botet ↓
15. It Chapter Two
↑ James McAvoy ↓
16. Split
↑ Betty Buckley ↓
17. Carrie
↑ Sissy Spacek ↓
18. An American Haunting
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
20. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
21. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
22. The Howling

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
Sounds like a good time. Wish I could go.
It's only a few miles from here but I've never been. I thought I might go to their swap meets but never got around to it.

The dam is breaking from the covid TV drought and now there is a lot competing for our binge attention. That includes Hellstrom on Hulu which I watched last night. Haven't watched Mr. Mercedes which is now on Peacock. I think I watched an episode or two when it was teased on YouTube. Last night's watch was "The Mortuary Collection" on Shudder staring Clancy Brown. Astoria, Oregon looks quite quaint in this 50's period movie. It's anthology of horror/dark comedy tales and very well done and hilarious. Four condoms.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I have the Andy Sidaris Girls, Guns and G-strings 12 film set on DVD. Mill Creek crammed 4 movies on each disc (2 on each side) so the picture quality is pretty bad. The guns are certainly big enough that you can still see them, but no HD glory here.
That's cramming a lot of big guns on one disc. Lol.

Yep, Louise Fletcher plays the evil grandmother.
Yeah, she's always good at playing those characters.

I didn't follow Kristy Swanson from Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I have a handful of her movies but the only one other than Buffy that is remotely horror is Swamp Shark and I wasn't in the mood to watch that one. I decided to stick with Donald Sutherland and watch Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). Kevin McCarthy had a small role in that one as "Running Man" so for my next movie I watched him take the lead in the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Both versions are great. I stayed with Kevin McCarthy and watched The Howling next. Insomnia sucks but at least I had some good movies to help pass the time.

1. The Craft
↑ Breckin Meyer ↓
↑ Robert Englund ↓
↑ Jonas Talkington ↓
4. Lake Placid 2
↑ Cloris Leachman ↓
5. Young Frankenstein
↑ Peter Boyle ↓
6. Species II
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
7. Bloodrayne
↑ Meat Loaf ↓
↑ Patricia Quinn ↓
9. Lords of Salem
↑ Bruce Davison ↓
↑ Joseph Bishara ↓
↑ Lulu Wilson ↓
12. Becky
↑ Ryan McDonald ↓
↑ Katee Sackhoff ↓
14. Don't Knock Twice
↑ Javier Botet ↓
15. It Chapter Two
↑ James McAvoy ↓
16. Split
↑ Betty Buckley ↓
17. Carrie
↑ Sissy Spacek ↓
18. An American Haunting
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
20. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
21. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
22. The Howling
I forgot about Swamp Shark. It has Robert Davi too. That's a good one.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Highway to Hell (1991) I had to get my Kristy fix last night and decided to hit the open road to hell. Fun movie with lots of cameos.

Unrelated but still apropos...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
18. The Invisible Man (2020) HBO Max FTV- I thought the movie was really effective in certain aspects, but short-sighted and head-scratching in others. Firstly, I loved the camera work and the pans throughout the room, sometimes with nothing to see. This coupled with an absolutely haunting score make for some really tense moments. There were also several great scenes that make you jump (in a good way) and you have to give kudos to Elisabeth Moss for her noteworthy performance. As far as negatives are concerned, I actually felt as if Moss was miscast. I don't want to seem like a jerk with this comment (because she is a really good actress) I just didn't feel like she had the right look to go with the backstory.
It seems to me that a wealthy and good looking genius could (would) do much better for himself. Especially given how obsessed he was with her
Without using any more spoilers, I also had some issues with plot holes and other minor things that went completely unexplained (in a bad way, not in a thought-provoking way). The third act was also hit and miss for me, but I did enjoy the very ending.

To me, the most terrible situation to find yourself in.....is for everyone to be convinced you're crazy when you know you're not. And the more adamant you are to try to explain yourself, the worse your situation becomes......inevitably leading to you actually losing your mind. :eek::D

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Interesting take on this old movie, darthrsg.
Well like I said I was literally scarred for life by The Exorcist, fear of the devil if you will. Simultaneously fascinated by "end times" and post apocalypse stuff (The Day After) so getting under the hood of the machinations of people is kind of part of it. I mean breeding for kings is a thing so why not breeding for evil, it's not so far fetched. A very good recent movie in the same vein is Hereditary. To some extent even Midsommar in regards to cult like people being left to their own devices.

32381 - 32400 of 32544 Posts