AVS Forum banner

32401 - 32420 of 32544 Posts

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Well like I said I was literally scarred for life by The Exorcist, fear of the devil if you will. Simultaneously fascinated by "end times" and post apocalypse stuff (The Day After) so getting under the hood of the machinations of people is kind of part of it. I mean breeding for kings is a thing so why not breeding for evil, it's not so far fetched. A very good recent movie in the same vein is Hereditary. To some extent even Midsommar in regards to cult like people being left to their own devices.
I am resistant to thinking in such nakedly black and white terms. These are movies that we're talkin about after all. But I get your point. Have not seen Hereditary yet.

I also don't want this topic to turn into another Time Machine. One rabbit hole for this forum is probably enough. :) Just my 2c fwiw.

I'm sorry to hear about the scarring btw. I think if I'd seen The Exorcist at too early an age that it probably would have made a lingering impression on me as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
🐌🐙 'I did the 'Quadruple' 🐳🐬

Famke Janssen in Deep Rising (1998)

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in The Abyss (1989)

Miguel Ferrer in DeepStar Six (1989)

Amanda Pays
Amanda Pays
Amanda Pays
Amanda Pays
in Leviathan (1989)

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10
14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10
17. Proxy (2013) F.T.V. 9/10
18. The Bad Seed (1956) F.T.V. 7/10
19. Laviathan (1989) 9/10
20. The Abyss (1989) 8/10
21. DeepStar Six (1989) 8/10
22. Deep
Rising (1998) 8/10

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
16. Zoltan: Hound of Dracula (FTV)

Dracula's dog is brought back to life and now seeks a new master in America, where with the aid of Dracula's old footman, he menaces the family of a direct descendant.

This is one of those shlocky-looking 70's horror movies I saw on the shelves at the VHS rental places but never got around to renting, so when Kino Lorber made a new 4k master, I took a chance. The concept is a good one, if not wholly original, as Dracula's dog looks suspiciously like the Doberman pinscher hell-hounds of the 1976 film, The Omen. However, the movie isn't as good as it could have been.

What's surprising is that it takes itself pretty seriously, with Jose Ferrer turning in the best performance in an otherwise pretty rote film. And yes, there are evil vampire dogs with glowing eyes that feast upon the blood of the living and turn them into vampires. What else more could you want? Well, some tension would be nice, but there's pretty much a complete lack of suspense. The family doesn't even seem particularly fazed when one of their puppies disappears.

A siege scene in a cabin could have been an opportunity for a Jaws-like moment, with the two men trading war stories, but we are kept at arms length and not given any real character depth. The dogs all give great performances, but it was hard to think of them as villains because after all, they are man's best friend. I kept feeling sorry for the dogs or thinking they were cute when they were supposed to be menacing. This was a bit of a swing and a miss, and for once I'd like to see a remake by a more able director with a better script. Still, the film has some appeal for those of us who like turgid old 70's horror flicks.

Trivia: Stan Winston did the special effects, which are pretty much limited to some glowing eyes and blood gushing.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Viy (1967) 4/5 (FTV)
2. Night Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
3. Tigers Are Not Afraid 5/5 (FTV)
4. I Trapped the Devil 4/5 (FTV)
5. Vivarium 3/5 (FTV)
6. The Kiss of the Vampire 3/5 (FTV)
7. The Invisible Man (2020) 4/5 (FTV)
8. Horrors of Malformed Men 3/5 (FTV)
9. Come to Daddy 3/5 (FTV)
10. Dead Alive 4/5
11. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 3/5 (FTV)
12. Swallow 4/5 (FTV)
13. One Cut of the Dead 4/5 (FTV)
14. 3 From Hell 3/5 (FTV)
15. Scared Stiff (1987) 3/5 (FTV)
16. Zoltan: Hound of Dracula 3/5 (FTV)

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
I am resistant to thinking in such nakedly black and white terms. These are movies that we're talkin about after all. But I get your point. Have not seen Hereditary yet.

I also don't want this topic to turn into another Time Machine. One rabbit hole for this forum is probably enough. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the scarring btw. I think if I'd seen The Exorcist at too early an age that it probably would have made a lingering impression on me as well.
It's anything but black and white for sure and yes they are movies, our modern mythologies on the screen instead of by a fire. It's a heck of a rabbit hole, man of science man of faith.

Reactions: ADU

·
Registered
13,795 Posts

Amanda Pays
Amanda Pays
Amanda Pays
Amanda Pays
in Leviathan (1989)

22. Deep
Rising (1998) 8/10

You'll probably really enjoy Sea Fever and Underwater.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Damien: Omen II

This chapter picks up as the first ends with the news of Damien's survival reaching the crusty old religious scholar, Buganhagen. Buganhagen has proof of the AntiChrist and needs another to deliver the warning to hopefully stop Damien from reaching maximum power but he meets his end. We flash ahead 7 years and meet a teenage Damien, under the care of extended family and positioned with powerful connections in the Thorn family corporation.

The body count is raised significantly as those who know what Damien is all get dealt with. Industrial accidents, hockey accidents, crow attacks, and more. The Omens love chopping people in half.

Damien is surrounded by carefully placed mentors that nudge him along while protecting him at any cost. You know you know some of these types, tale as old as time, as old as Greasers and Soc's. The protected class getting all the breaks.

Along the way his new family begins to suspect something is afoot though they do not want to believe it and start making moves to end Damien.

This installment could serve as a reminder of historical blindness in regards to large corporations and their unchecked powers, Thorn is branching out into feeding the masses and would become the sole source of food for the globe, a pretty good spot for the Devil on Earth. This is 1978, fast forward just 30 years and one can see not much has changed but public perception is that it's all new and shiny.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I hit my first deja vu forum outside of AVS, other than the photos and subject matter everything is laid out the same as here. It's like entering a house you've never been in before and knowing where everything is or where to look look for them. In other words 'The House You Never Left' (2020 TV-MA). "You can leave the house but it never leaves you. Portal to enlightment, hell, or another internet rabbit hole YOU MAY NEVER KNOW" :D :eek:

·
Registered
7,647 Posts

Amanda Pays
Amanda Pays
Amanda Pays
Amanda Pays
in Leviathan (1989)

22. Deep
Rising (1998) 8/10
Congratulations, you are now eligible for AVS sub- group "Where is my copy of The Abyss on UHD 4k" Welcome ! :D

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Not yet, interesting trailer though. :)
I watched episode 1 last night. It got my attention. Watching episode 2 tonight.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Some good ones. The Omens are quality. Even the third with Sam Neill as lil' Beezle Jr.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Omen III: The Final Conflict

In the third installment of The Omen series Damien has fully utilized all his political and economical status and is at the height of his power. He runs a mega-corporation with ties to medical, agriculture, military, and humanitarian functions that span the globe. He is aware of what he is and what is coming.

A sect of priests have taken up arms to kill him. The literal heavens are aligning are as well, a cosmic show for the returning Nazarene. We are shown Damien's sanctum, his black prayer room. He pledges to kill the returning Christ. Sam Neill will probably go to hell for this, it's a very creepy scene.

As for the body count it's far lower but you get a few. You have "retirement" of government officials, flambe of holy assassins, the trickery of the devil, dog pack rampage, and a montage I won't even type out.

The pacing is slower than the previous films but the stakes are higher. As Damien basks in his power it is draining as the returned Christ grows and the showdown nears. This one is far less viscerally horrific and leans more cerebral which probably hurts it in the long run as it meanders around. We get a very well done but out of place fox hunt as the holy assassins try to corner Damien. We see Damien raise an army to hunt the child Christ.

Ultimately through deception the devil is deceived and the light side of the Force prevails. The final chapter of the series does not have the same sense of dread and impending apocalypse alluded to in Revelations. It's mostly just drawn out in the back half. Despite falling flat the story arc is solid when taken as a trilogy. It just lacked the magic of the previous films and the rich imagery of the Biblical tale was non existent. Contrasted with The Exorcist films, they actually got stronger from a narrative perspective. Even the social commentary on elites and big business was missing.

·
Registered
833 Posts
DeepStar Six (1989)
Blu-Ray: Kino Lorber

Director:Sean S. Cunningham
Writers:Lewis Abernathy (story), Lewis Abernathy | 1 more credit »
Stars:Greg Evigan, Nancy Everhard, Taurean Blacque, Miguel Ferrer ,Nia Peeples , Matt McCoy ,Cindy Pickett
A group of U.S. Navy engineers, led by Capt. Laidlaw (Taurean Blacque), are building an underwater base when they inadvertently disturb the lair of a gigantic creature. The monster attacks, and the crew, including lovers Collins (Nancy Everhard) and McBride (Greg Evigan), tries to evacuate, but the facility is badly damaged. After the exterior is breached, the increasingly desperate people become separated from one another, and the creature begins to pick them off one by one.

DeepStar 6 has plenty to recommend it and elevate it above the herd. The first is that the acting, although from a far less stellar cast than Leviathan or The Abyss sported, is really quite good. Director Cunningham uses the first hour to good effect in building the characters and, when they are allowed to breathe life into their stereotypical characters, they do a decent job of making us care about them. The cast is made up of former TV stars and minor actors who have cropped up in an odd horror or sci-fi film.

The most notable actor probably is Miguel Ferrer who plays his normal screw-up guy. He keeps screwing up over and over again, not only does he cause the station to suffer catastrophe but he's also responsible for a number of other horrendous mishaps during the running time which inflict more suffering upon not only himself but the rest of the crew. Ferrer must go down as the 'World's Worst Crew-mate to 'Have During a Disaster'. He is brilliant as he begins to lose his marbles and one of the best characters in this flick . Ferrer's departure is probably the highlight of the film. He goes out like a champ .

When I watch a film like DeepStar Six , I want to see a big monster eat people ! The real strength of the film lies in the monster. He's a big, bold mongrel of a special effect, and if I ignore the quibble about continuity (he seems to shrink as the film goes on as required), I have to say that he really knocks the sea water out of the other watery beasts. Basically, he's a big worm with lots and lots of teeth and a fairly insatiable appetite. This is clearly a good thing in creature feature.

Three major underwater movies came out in 1989, Laviathan, Deepstar Six, and The Abyss . Overall, this is a good, fun film. And fits nicely between 1989's underwater Trio. 8/10

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
I watch turkeys so you don't have to. Last night the turkey was "Unhuman Nature" on Amazon. Good part about this movie is it is only 67 minutes long so easy to squeeze into a busy schedule. The story takes place in the "Pacific Northwest" but it was shot in and around Arcadia which is in Northern California which I don't see as the Pacific Northwest. After all they have palm trees up there though you won't see any in the movie except there is a business with the name "palm tree" in it.

It appears to be an amateur effort or film student effort. Stiff acting on the most part though you won't feel ground down by it. Cinematography is good though there are a lot of lock down shots and though not listed it is in 4K. And for some reason some of it was shot in Granger, Iowa which is a bit out of the way. There is a monster in it.

Two and half steel bullets.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Awesome to see lots of updates and posts since I last appeared a few days ago! I was busy with work and other prior commitments but also some fun stuff mixed in such as a small horror movie get together night on Friday and then a relative's birthday party at a restaurant yesterday. It was awesome. Somehow, I was able to watch at least one movie a night the past few nights but mostly kept them short on the busiest of days. I won't post full reviews of these but will give each a rating and maybe a few comments to go with them. The interesting thing is that I unknowingly watched three movies in a row where people get trapped in a house!

Gonjiam - Haunted Asylum (2018) FTV
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Comments: Pretty decent South Korean horror film about a group of 'ghost hunters' who set up camp and sneak into an asylum that was abandoned 40 years before. At first, they fake some things in the name of gaining views on their live Internet stream but then later things turn real! I love abandoned buildings like this and they used it to full effect. Things are creepy and the scares do ramp up. Nothing great but just a good solid film.

Sleepaway Camp (1983) FTV
Rating: 3 out of 5
Comments: Seemed like an attempt to cash in on the success of early 80s slashers but still not too bad of a movie. A boy and his cousin go to a summer camp with a bunch of other youths and soon some strange (and sometimes creative) killings start to happen. Becomes something of a mystery. The ending was quite unexpected, especially for a movie made during this time period!

The Evil (1978) FTV
Rating: 2.5 out of 5
Comments: Pretty typical 70s haunted house movie where apparitions appear and mayhem ensues in an old mansion. Average material overall but the basement was creepy and things really pick up in certain parts of the movie. The final part of the movie threw me for a loop! Overall it was okay.

House of the Witch (2017) FTV
Rating: 2.5 out of 5
Comments: A high school student goes missing after going up to an abandoned house and then a year later a group of high school students decide to go into the same house on Halloween night. Of course they don't take things seriously at all at first but then things start to happen and they find themselves in a bad situation. Nothing really scary here and the special effects are a little behind the times but still a passable one-time watch.

Truth or Dare (2018) FTV
Rating: 2 out of 5
Comments: Props for taking some ideas from the Saw franchise of movies as well as perhaps Jumanji and Final Destination and putting their own 'truth or dare' twist on things (and with time limits to boot) but honestly most of the dares were terrible and tasteless. It was enough of a movie to keep us interested in what would happen next and some parts were okay but mostly it was a miss and we agreed that this movie is a "one watch and done" affair.

The Shed (2019) FTV
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Comments: I had been interested in seeing this one ever since I first became aware of it about a year ago. And I'm pleased to say that it did not disappoint! A troubled teen living with his wicked grandfather soon discovers that a vampire has taken up residence in the shed outside the house. Tied into this movie are the usual things that you might expect at a high school such as a group of bullies and a love interest. The main character's best friend soon gets entangled in the whole vampire aspect of the movie as things go more and more south. It builds up to a decent if predictable climax. Again, while not outright great, this was definitely worth the watch.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Love and Monsters (2020) This was supposed to be in theaters but we all know what happened there. It's a bit spendy at the moment. But what the heck, the end is nigh. I found this one quite entertaining. Seven years after the Monsterpocalypse the giant creatures took control of the land and humanity has been living underground. Joel wants to reconnect with his high school sweetheart at another colony 80 miles away. Can he make it? A fun movie.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Love and Monsters (2020) This was supposed to be in theaters but we all know what happened there. It's a bit spendy at the moment. But what the heck, the end is nigh. I found this one quite entertaining. Seven years after the Monsterpocalypse the giant creatures took control of the land and humanity has been living underground. Joel wants to reconnect with his high school sweetheart at another colony 80 miles away. Can he make it? A fun movie.

We saw this pop up and are watching tonight.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts

I've been seein alot of ads for this lately. And some of the monster effects look pretty good. Is this a sequel by any chance to the Monsters/Monsters: Dark Content series? Or is it more of a standalone deal?

32401 - 32420 of 32544 Posts