AVS Forum banner

32421 - 32440 of 32764 Posts

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
The Mutations
AKA
The Freakmaker

In The Mutations, Donald Pleasence plays a college professor with mad scientist tendencies. His henchman is Tom Baker, the best Doctor Who. Together they abduct people and work on plant and human hybrids. It's all B schlock but not without merit as it pulls from the classic Freaks of 1932. You actually get a real "freak" show here which might be the highlight. There's loads of time lapse and weird pseudo science jabber.

As strong as Donald is it's Tom that steals the show. He's a great Frankenstein's monster like character here.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
17. To Your Last Death (FTV)

Animated feature pits a woman and her adult siblings against their maniacal billionaire father in a game of revenge and death, as a mysterious godlike being has the ability to hit the rewind button depending how things turn out.

Ugh, this film was a mess. First of all, it's not actually horror, despite winning horror awards (and how this won any awards is a mystery to me). Just because something is bloody and violent doesn't make it horror. It's just an action thriller which combines "is it just a game?" elements of Fincher's The Game with torture puzzles from Saw. Maybe that's why they are calling this horror. But mostly it's just pointless and dull.

On paper, this should have worked. How can a movie packed with this much action (and violence) still manage to be dull? Because we never once feel like anything is at stake. The flat 2D-style animation, which has looked great in other works ("Archer", for one) just never works for this movie: it's like someone is playing with paper dolls, so how am I supposed to feel any sense of danger or connection to the characters? They are never anything other than artificial. Stylized, nonrealistic animation can work for a lot of things, but not this visceral action. It's all as light as air, moving pictures on a wall.

The other problem is a big one: it's no spoiler to tell you that there are gods in this film who control the outcome of the story, and if they don't like the way things turn out, they can do a reset and put the character right back where she started. This completely deflates any tension, because we know that no matter what the characters do, the gods can just undo it at their whim. No decisions have any real consequences, so why should we care if the characters are making good decisions or bad ones? So once again, we're never emotionally involved, and the whole exercise is pointless.

I give it some credit for trying something new, but it just disappointed on so many counts. It sounds like it could be good, but don't be fooled, and don't waste your time. If you want hyperviolent animation horror that makes you laugh and entertains you despite being shallow, watch the Haunted World of El Superbeasto instead.

2 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Viy (1967) 4/5 (FTV)
2. Night Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
3. Tigers Are Not Afraid 5/5 (FTV)
4. I Trapped the Devil 4/5 (FTV)
5. Vivarium 3/5 (FTV)
6. The Kiss of the Vampire 3/5 (FTV)
7. The Invisible Man (2020) 4/5 (FTV)
8. Horrors of Malformed Men 3/5 (FTV)
9. Come to Daddy 3/5 (FTV)
10. Dead Alive 4/5
11. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 3/5 (FTV)
12. Swallow 4/5 (FTV)
13. One Cut of the Dead 4/5 (FTV)
14. 3 From Hell 3/5 (FTV)
15. Scared Stiff (1987) 3/5 (FTV)
16. Zoltan: Hound of Dracula 3/5 (FTV)
17. To Your Last Death 2/5 (FTV)

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
30 Days Of Night

Not much to say about this one, it's a classic. Taught and frenzied it wastes no time getting to the nitty gritty.

Barrow, Alaska is besieged but a group of vampires as the town descends into a 30 day period of no sun. The vamps are fast and brutal as they hunt the townspeople down and feast. The survivors hold on as best they can in a never ending game of cat and mouse.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I went with Kevin McCarthy, Belinda Blasky, Dick Miller, Writer John Sayles and Diretor Joe Dante from The Howling to Piranha (1978). I think this one had a big influence on the creature features the Syfy channel likes to show.

1. The Craft
↑ Breckin Meyer ↓
2. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
↑ Robert Englund ↓
3. Lake Placid: The Final Chapter
↑ Jonas Talkington ↓
4. Lake Placid 2
↑ Cloris Leachman ↓
5. Young Frankenstein
↑ Peter Boyle ↓
6. Species II
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
7. Bloodrayne
↑ Meat Loaf ↓
8. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
↑ Patricia Quinn ↓
9. Lords of Salem
↑ Bruce Davison ↓
10. Insidious: The Last Key
↑ Joseph Bishara ↓
11. Annabelle: Creation
↑ Lulu Wilson ↓
12. Becky
↑ Ryan McDonald ↓
13. Halloween: Resurrection
↑ Katee Sackhoff ↓
14. Don't Knock Twice
↑ Javier Botet ↓
15. It Chapter Two
↑ James McAvoy ↓
16. Split
↑ Betty Buckley ↓
17. Carrie
↑ Sissy Spacek ↓
18. An American Haunting
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
19. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
20. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
21. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
22. The Howling
↑ Kevin McCarthy, Belinda Blasky, Dick Miller, John Sayles, Joe Dante ↓
23. Piranha (1978)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
30 Days Of Night

View attachment 3047915

Not much to say about this one, it's a classic. Taught and frenzied it wastes no time getting to the nitty gritty.

Barrow, Alaska is besieged but a group of vampires as the town descends into a 30 day period of no sun. The vamps are fast and brutal as they hunt the townspeople down and feast. The survivors hold on as best they can in a never ending game of cat and mouse.

A classic indeed. Love this flick.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Leviathan (1989)
Shout! Blu-Ray Out of Print

which IMO is a travesty

Director:George P. Cosmatos
Writers:David Webb Peoples (story) (as David Peoples), David Webb Peoples (screenplay) (as David Peoples) | 1 more credit »
Stars:Peter Weller, Richard Crenna, Amanda Pays

Directed by George P. Cosmatos and released in 1989, Leviathan is the story of a group of undersea miners that are terrorized by a monster. There working for the nefarious Tri-Oceanic Corp. The miners happen across an abandoned Soviet ship. They misguidedly bring back some loot, one of them gets infected with an experimental drug that turns unsuspecting miners into hideous shape-shifting aquatic creatures . The crew are ten picked off one by one...

Leviathan is top-notch B movie fair, and this is generally down to the solid cast. Top billed by Peter Weller. Now Weller has a tendency to play the same kind of character in many of his films. He does disinterested and monotone better than pretty much everyone out there and that's the style he goes for in this film as well. Some might not like that, but if you appreciate Weller's style, this ought to work for you. Lisa Eilbacher and Amanda Pays are good here too, and Amanda Pays, who was the ultimate object of infatuation in my youth .... in particular adds a fair bit of sex appeal to the movie. The rest of the cast provide more enthusiasm, with Hudson and Crenna standing out and Daniel Stern as (Six Pack) providing some comic relief, at least until he mutates.

Featuring some excellent monster effects by Stan Winston and his team and an impressive score from composer Jerry Goldsmith, Leviathan is a solid monster movie that does a fine job of exploiting its undersea locations in some effectively claustrophobic ways. It's also paced quite well, building nicely in the first hour before really throwing it all at us in the last half hour. It really is good fun, especially the first half, and the acting is miles above par. Furthermore, the monster is superb, and any film with practical effects in it as good as these are is more than worthy of a spin. All in all Leviathan is a fun 80's creature feature. 8/10

·
Registered
10,288 Posts

25. Empire of the Ants (1977)

One of a series of film adaptations made by AIP during the 70's, based on the works of H. G. Wells. A group of shady land developers and tourists find themselves under attack by giant insects in the Florida marshes, after toxic waste spills along the beach front property they're looking to develop. Viewed on DVD.

Sound and picture were not that good on the recording. But this was still a pretty passable little thriller, featuring Joan Collins. Sound got rather shrill though, esp. toward the end, making it rather hard to finish.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Love and Monsters (2020) This was supposed to be in theaters but we all know what happened there. It's a bit spendy at the moment. But what the heck, the end is nigh. I found this one quite entertaining. Seven years after the Monsterpocalypse the giant creatures took control of the land and humanity has been living underground. Joel wants to reconnect with his high school sweetheart at another colony 80 miles away. Can he make it? A fun movie.

We screened this back before the covid lock down it sounded interesting. :)

·
Registered
10,288 Posts

26. Island of Lost Souls (1932)

Another film based on an H. G. Wells classic, The Island of Dr. Moreau. This was the first talking adaptation of the subject, with Charles Laughton and Bela Lugosi in the principal roles of Moreau and The Sayer of the Law respectively. And Kathleen Burke as the Panther Woman.

An excellent example of early B&W SF filmmaking, with some exquisite camera work, makeup and effects. Viewed on DVD. The only music in the film, btw, is during the credits.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The Jack In The Box (2019) FTV
Rating: 3 out of 5
Watched on DVD

The slip cover of this one caught my eye in the store and it was cheap so I thought I would give it a whirl. Turns out that I was mostly glad I did. An antique jack-in-the-box is donated to a museum who initially just has it in their storage room. A new staff member who has a keen eye for things is immediately intrigued by it and soon unleashes the evil within. Though there isn't a lot of action in this one, the kills are slow but sure. The jack himself is pretty manacing and creepy with great vocalizations. Still, I'm left with the feeling that they could have done more with this one. As it stands, there is a good story here with the basis of a decent movie. The possibility of a sequel is there but I'm not sure there would be enough interest in this for them to follow through on that. I'd recommend giving this a shot at some point if you have modest expectations and like movies with creepy clowns and such.
The Jack In The Box.jpg

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
We saw this pop up and are watching tonight.
What'd ya think?

I've been seein alot of ads for this lately. And some of the monster effects look pretty good. Is this a sequel by any chance to the Monsters/Monsters: Dark Content series? Or is it more of a standalone deal?
Unrelated to the Monsters movies.

It's actually playing at a theater in one of the nearby communities.
That's good to hear.

We screened this back before the covid lock down it sounded interesting. :)
Wait. It sounded interesting? You didn't see it? THO is confused.

Reactions: ADU
32421 - 32440 of 32764 Posts