AVS Forum banner

32501 - 32520 of 32915 Posts

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
The Lost Boys

View attachment 3049237

What can be said of this classic? It holds up to this day and has yet to be surpassed. Change my mind. Outside of strict Dracula movies this is the king. Sure there are many great vampire films, Fright Night among them, but I bet this is the gateway film for millions into horror.

The CW still has pilot up for a Lost Boys series from Rob Thomas. They pushed it back, but it's still under consideration. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Horror of Dracula (1958)
Blu-Ray

Director:Terence Fisher
Writers:Jimmy Sangster (screenplay), Bram Stoker (novel)
Stars:Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Michael Gough, Melissa Stribling Carol Marsh

The long series of reinterpretations of classic universal films by British Hammer studios exude their own charm, at least at the beginning of that adaptation phase.

The new film follows the Bram Stoker novel as loosely as any other adaptation up to that time, though this one is much leaner and meaner. This time, Jonathan Harker (John Van Eyssen) is not a naive real estate man; he's an undercover vampire hunter. When he fails to return from his mission to destroy Count Dracula (Christopher Lee), Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) must come in to finish the job. Sir Christopher Frank Carandini Lee was perhaps the only actor of his generation to have starred in so many films and cult saga. Although most notable for personifying bloodsucking vampire, Dracula. Christopher Lee is very convincing in this film .

Dracula's motivation here is now revenge, rather than mere blood-lust. Director Terence Fisher, who is roundly considered the best of Hammer's staff, gives the film a tight pace and bold colors, highlighting blood red for the first time in film history, with the accompanying, for that time, quite graphic depiction of violence, which gave an idea of the splatter film that was already looming on the horizon,and where he can... the actress's cleavage. The film has tremendous atmosphere due it the high production value.

Horror Of Dracula is an extremely good horror period piece . A film that deserves recognition as one of Britain's finest horror movies IMO. 8/10

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10
14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10
17. Proxy (2013) F.T.V. 9/10
18. The Bad Seed (1956) F.T.V. 7/10
19. Laviathan (1989) 9/10
20. The Abyss (1989) 8/10
21. DeepStar Six (1989) 8/10
22. Deep Rising (1998) 8/10
23. The Uninvited (1944) 8/10
24. Snatchers (2019) F.T.V. 7/10
25. Gremlins (1984) 10/10
26. Horror of Dracula (1958) 8/10

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
This doesn't come out till November (THO: "Boo", he then drinks his Sculpin) But it sounds like arthouse meets 'Saw'. Might be fun. :devilish:
‘Sleepless Beauty’ Horror-Thriller Goes Digital in November

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I went from Tales of Halloween with Grace Phipps to Fright Night (2011). This remake is very different than the original 1985 version. The original is pretty darn good. This one is great.

1. The Craft
↑ Breckin Meyer ↓
2. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
↑ Robert Englund ↓
3. Lake Placid: The Final Chapter
↑ Jonas Talkington ↓
4. Lake Placid 2
↑ Cloris Leachman ↓
5. Young Frankenstein
↑ Peter Boyle ↓
6. Species II
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
7. Bloodrayne
↑ Meat Loaf ↓
8. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
↑ Patricia Quinn ↓
9. Lords of Salem
↑ Bruce Davison ↓
10. Insidious: The Last Key
↑ Joseph Bishara ↓
11. Annabelle: Creation
↑ Lulu Wilson ↓
12. Becky
↑ Ryan McDonald ↓
13. Halloween: Resurrection
↑ Katee Sackhoff ↓
14. Don't Knock Twice
↑ Javier Botet ↓
15. It Chapter Two
↑ James McAvoy ↓
16. Split
↑ Betty Buckley ↓
17. Carrie
↑ Sissy Spacek ↓
18. An American Haunting
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
19. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
20. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
21. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
22. The Howling
↑ Kevin McCarthy, Belinda Blasky, Dick Miller, John Sayles, Joe Dante ↓
23. Piranha (1978)
↑ Keenan Wynn ↓
24. The Devil's Rain
↑ Ernest Borgnine ↓
25. Deadly Blessing
↑ Jeff East ↓
26. Pumpkinhead
↑ Lance Henriksen ↓
27. House (2008)
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
28. Hoboken Hollow
↑ Lin Shaye ↓
29. Tales of Halloween
↑ Grace Phipps ↓
30. Fright Night (2011)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
25. Ma (2019) HBO FTV- This one has been sitting on my dvr for quite awhile...probably because of the silly title. Anyway, this turned out to be a better than average flick. Octavia Spencer is really good and the story was definitely something I haven't seen before. It takes awhile to get going, but it's interesting enough to hold your interest and the final act turns things up several notches. Overall, not an amazing movie but still a good watch for horror fans.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Isn't there a 31 Days of Horror rehab place to check into in November? We probably will need it. ;)

I watched "The Sandman", which was mentioned here recently, last night. Three sand dunes.
More of a get away from the signal and feed the algos less. It started with mainstream news, now it's TV and movies. I've been hard into audio for the majority of the year and finding myself better informed vs the people I get around. Starting to feel like an alien when those that repeat what they are being fed talk.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
22. Dream Demon (FTV)

The anxieties of a young bride-to-be are making her dreams spill into real life...or is it the other way around?

This underseen 1988 British psychological horror film is often (and incorrectly, in my opinion) described as a ripoff of A Nightmare on Elm Street, but it's far more nuanced and well, British. That's not to say that it falls short in any way as a horror film--the opening sequence was so horrifyingly and shockingly gruesome, I involuntarily broke into a short bout of lone applause. Is that weird?

Actress Jemma Redgrave makes her film debut and gives a good performance as the frightened fiance in what feels at times like a Polanski horror film (Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby). Look for a young Timothy Spall (Harry Potter's Wormtail) hamming it up in a repulsive role as the paparazzo from hell. If you like creepy dream sequences, there's plenty to enjoy here, and you're kept guessing as to what's a dream and what's reality--sometimes to a fatiguing degree. Things are a bit muddled at times, and an odd casting choice for some flashbacks involve what's clearly an adult actress playing the role of a child--guess they were trying to subvert child labor issues. But overall this was a nice discovery with some surprisingly gory scenes.

Yet another great restoration by Arrow Video, Dream Demon is featured here in a Director's Cut (the version I watched) as well as theatrical, with only a 1 minute difference at the very end.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Viy (1967) 4/5 (FTV)
2. Night Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
3. Tigers Are Not Afraid 5/5 (FTV)
4. I Trapped the Devil 4/5 (FTV)
5. Vivarium 3/5 (FTV)
6. The Kiss of the Vampire 3/5 (FTV)
7. The Invisible Man (2020) 4/5 (FTV)
8. Horrors of Malformed Men 3/5 (FTV)
9. Come to Daddy 3/5 (FTV)
10. Dead Alive 4/5
11. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 3/5 (FTV)
12. Swallow 4/5 (FTV)
13. One Cut of the Dead 4/5 (FTV)
14. 3 From Hell 3/5 (FTV)
15. Scared Stiff (1987) 3/5 (FTV)
16. Zoltan: Hound of Dracula 3/5 (FTV)
17. To Your Last Death 2/5 (FTV)
18.The Lodge 4/5 (FTV)
19. Zombie For Sale 4/5 (FTV)
20. The Wind (1986) 3/5 (FTV)
21. The Silent Scream (1979) 3/5 (FTV)
22. Dream Demon 3/5 (FTV)

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
23. Z (2019) (FTV)

The imaginary friend of a young boy might be more than imaginary, especially when bad things start to happen to the people around him.

This appears to be one of those Shudder films that wasn't good enough to find a home with Blumhouse (or god forbid, A24) and it is pretty thin on plot and budget, and comes in at a scant 83 minutes. So, check your expectations at the door. However, it does offer a few decent scares, a couple shocks, but plenty of flaws as well. None of the characters feel lived in, most are unlikeable, even the usually reliable Stephen McHattie's character is paper thin and not given much to do.

I kind of admired the looney third act despite the constant strains on credulity, but more often this film felt like it was afraid to really commit to anything. I can't decide if the bad CGI was a stylistic move (after all, this is supposed to be a child's imaginary friend), or just a budgetary constraint. The film is often more bland than outright bad, it just seems like something that could have been done better. But if you like movies with creepy kids, dark shadows in suburban homes, and a few "boo" type scares, this fits the bill.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Viy (1967) 4/5 (FTV)
2. Night Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
3. Tigers Are Not Afraid 5/5 (FTV)
4. I Trapped the Devil 4/5 (FTV)
5. Vivarium 3/5 (FTV)
6. The Kiss of the Vampire 3/5 (FTV)
7. The Invisible Man (2020) 4/5 (FTV)
8. Horrors of Malformed Men 3/5 (FTV)
9. Come to Daddy 3/5 (FTV)
10. Dead Alive 4/5
11. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 3/5 (FTV)
12. Swallow 4/5 (FTV)
13. One Cut of the Dead 4/5 (FTV)
14. 3 From Hell 3/5 (FTV)
15. Scared Stiff (1987) 3/5 (FTV)
16. Zoltan: Hound of Dracula 3/5 (FTV)
17. To Your Last Death 2/5 (FTV)
18.The Lodge 4/5 (FTV)
19. Zombie For Sale 4/5 (FTV)
20. The Wind (1986) 3/5 (FTV)
21. The Silent Scream (1979) 3/5 (FTV)
22. Dream Demon 3/5 (FTV)
23. Z (2019) 3/5 (FTV)

·
Registered
989 Posts
A Nightmare
on
Elm Street

(1984)
Live Cinema Showing

Director:Wes Craven
Writer:Wes Craven
Stars:Heather Langenkamp, Johnny Depp, Robert Englund ,Amanda Wyss , Ronee Blakley ,John Saxon

Wes Craven brought us one of the most terrifying ideas, what would happen if your nightmares were real? That if you died in your dream, you died in real life? He brought us A Nightmare on Elm Street

The monstrous spirit of a slain janitor seeks revenge by invading the dreams of teenagers whose parents were responsible for his untimely death. Fantasy Terror that set the bar for the surrealist horror genre .

Produced on a low budget and a shot time line only 32 days to shoot the film . Wes Craven and crew came up with a masterpiece of Fantasy terror that pushes the horror genre even by today's age of CGI and green scene film making . A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of best horror movies of all time. It set the stage for a legendary fantasy terror horror film franchise second to none. This film "blew my mind" when I was 18 and saw it in the Cinema in 1984. Watching it on the silver screen in 2020 after not being able to go to the cinema in 7 months was a real thrill for me personally. I took personal responsibility and took every safe precaution to stay cooties free. A Nightmare on Elm Street is a film that still delivers the fantastical visual & emotional response/appeal thru the first rate sound effects,memorable dialog from Robert Englund . Believable, excellent acting from Heather Langenkamp who really makes the film soar.. Wes Cravens script and directing style bring this low budget film to the next level of creativity to the horror genre. The sense of nostalgic feeling seeing this film in the cinema 36 years after release was very pleasing ! A Nightmare on Elm Street 10/10

One, Two, Freddy's Coming For You

Three, Four Better Lock Your Door

Five, Six Grab A Crucifix

Nine, Ten Never Sleep Again

One, Two, Freddy's Coming For You is an adaptation of the children's nursery rhyme, "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe". This song is often said to be Freddy Krueger's theme song.
Despite being a parody, it is quite haunting and ominous and has a lasting impact on Freddy's victims.
Charles Bernstein`s music in this movie has become classic.

Haunting Omen: Ghostly girls jumping rope to Freddy song

I took this photo from my front row seat.
Robert Englund and Heather Langenkamp

Robert Englund and Amanda Wyss in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Johnny Depp, Heather Langenkamp, and Amanda Wyss in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Johnny Depp went out like a real champion;)

One of the Greatest Villains of All Time . Robert Englund in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10
14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10
17. Proxy (2013) F.T.V. 9/10
18. The Bad Seed (1956) F.T.V. 7/10
19. Laviathan (1989) 9/10
20. The Abyss (1989) 8/10
21. DeepStar Six (1989) 8/10
22. Deep Rising (1998) 8/10
23. The Uninvited (1944) 8/10
24. Snatchers (2019) F.T.V. 7/10
25. Gremlins (1984) 10/10
26. Horror of Dracula (1958) 8/10
27. A Nightmare
on Elm Street (1984) Live Cinema Showing 10/10

Attachments

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
Joe Bob was off to a fine start on his new season. The little trailer house has been replaced by a cabin in the woods. It also appears that maybe Shudder asked that he take less time rapping on breaks though I always enjoyed the trivia he had about the films. Darcy complains about being in the woods but will forgive Joe Bob if they show Halloween III (which would only happen if AT&T decided to get rid of HBO and AMC picked it up).

So I got in two movies last night. Joe Bob's first movie was "Haunt" which I had seen and the second "Hack O'Lantern", a 1987 film produced by two Bollywood folks who knew nothing about Halloween. That one is definitely weird.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Movies 26, 27, and 28 of the month done now! Cannot believe we are just one week away from Halloween now. I remember watching Chopping Mall on October 1st and thinking we had all kinds of time in front of us, but just like any year, it has gone fast! But it's been a great ride seeing a lot of movies for the first time including stuff that I had been putting off for a while. Anyway, my latest update...

The Houses October Built 2 (2017) FTV
Rating: 3 out of 5
Streamed via Amazon Prime Video

A direct continuation of the 2014 film, this time the group of five friends has gained fame via the Internet and is given the opportunity to do live reviews and endorsements of Halloween themed haunted houses and other attractions. One of the friends is traumatized from what happened towards the end of the 2014 movie so the rest of the group promises to go easier this time around to make the deal happen. This was not quite as good as the 2014 movie but has more diversity of the types of attractions that they do, and I will say that the final act is fairly strong compared to the rest of the film. Not quite the ending that I expected but it was pretty decent!

Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954)
Rating: 4 out of 5
Watched "live" on Turner Classic Movies (TCM)

I'd seen this one a few times before so it was nice to see it on TV because it has been a while. After making a significant discovery, a small group of scientists and archaeologists put together an expedition to see if they can find more. And find more they did! While this is obviously dated in some ways, it is still a very good story and the creature himself puts on a pretty good show. The characters are often their own worst enemies in this one by being unaware or unattentive but that's a good part of what makes the movie! The music and sound effects were also quite good. Definitely a solid entry in the Universal Classic Monsters collection.

3 From Hell (2019) FTV
Rating: 4 out of 5
Streamed via Shudder

As with any Rob Zombie film, there is a certain eclectic feel to it which takes a bit of getting used to at first but this one soon clicked with me. The Devil's Rejects crew is here and is in fine form. The story was easy to follow and the kills were top notch. The only major complaint I might have with this one without spoiling anything are that a couple of difficult things happen which are not fully shown or explained. I was left asking myself, "How did they actually get away with doing that?". But regardless, either I am just getting used to RZ's style of film making or he is genuinely getting better, but I have to say that I am liking each new release that he comes out with more and more. I had fun with this movie and would love to add it to my collection, along with 31.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Watched Friday the 13th tonight! The new 4K scan is absolutely amazing, and well worth it for one of the best slasher films of all time. I can honestly say, even after how many times I’ve watched it, this one always gets me. The tense buildup of fear is amazing. I absolutely love the score of this film - it’s like a mix of Jaws and Psycho with some nice synth mixed in. I loved every moment of it!

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Pulled the trigger and nuked my windows box today. Loaded up Manjaro, took all day to figure out how to get my media server up but it's done. That's just about all I use the machine for. Gaming days are over I think.

32501 - 32520 of 32915 Posts