AVS Forum banner

32561 - 32580 of 32915 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
A lot of people have seen this before but I hadn't ..'The Fourth Kind'...A thriller involving an ongoing unsolved mystery in Alaska, where one town has seen an extraordinary number of unexplained disappearances during the past 40 years and there are accusations of a federal cover up.
My take. An alien abduction movie with no UFOs and no seen aliens based on real incidents with footage from sessions with the real people. Imagine a real life X-files situation crossed with aliens as supernatural entities vs. science fiction ones. After you watch this you may believe or not, but you'll have something to think about that hopefully won't be your dreams :eek: :) Worth a look if you've never seen it. :)
Check out the window for white owls before you go to sleep
The Fourth Kind is legit. Love that movie.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
27. Doctor Sleep (2019) Blu-ray- As good or even comparable to The Shining......no. A respectable follow-up after nearly 40 years.....sure. There's definitely a lot to like in this movie (competent acting, great sets, a weird yet interesting tale). I found myself wishing that they could've pulled this off without having to reshoot old scenes though. I get it, but I just couldn't help but feel disappointed about it. I did enjoy the sights and sounds of the Overlook. 😎 I would say an overall good effort and it was fun to watch this back to back with The Shining. The first time I saw this, I don't think that I realized that the real Danny Torrance makes a cameo.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I just saw this: Shudder Announces Virtual Halloween Event “ShudderFest”; Secret Screening of a Future Shudder Original!

And this stood out to me:
9pm EST: Members Only Double Feature: Halloween and Secret Screening on Shudder TV*
Shudder members can wrap up their ShudderFest with a special double feature of John Carpenter’s 1978 classic (US and CA only) at 9pm ET/6pm PT and a special one one-time-only preview of a future Shudder film that won’t stream again until 2021 (but we can’t tell you which one!) at 10:30pm ET/7:30pm PT (in all Shudder territories).

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
26. Orca: The Killer Whale (FTV)

A killer whale seeks vengeance on the fishing boat captain who killed its pregnant mate.

Produced by the legendary Dino de Laurentiis, this 1977 film was obviously meant to be the next Jaws, and although it had a fraction of that film's quality, it saw some success. I distinctly remember as a nine-year-old seeing commercials for Orca and being thrilled at the sight of that toothy killer whale mouth that seemed to jump right out of my family's 19-inch black-and-white TV screen. The film doesn't quite live up to the thrilling trailer, but it delivers most of the goods, but with a certain amount of cheese and incredulity. This is one smart and pissed-off whale!

Richard Harris, already looking something like a withered old man in 1977, plays the fishing captain with gravitas, and his character actually grows and transforms during the movie as he grows to respect the whale that bears a grudge against him. Charlotte Rampling, sixteen years younger than Harris, plays a whale expert and is ostensibly Harris' love interest, which I found to be more unbelievable than the idea of a whale bearing a grudge. Stunner Bo Derek makes her big screen debut here as the most unlikely fishing boat crew member in history, and somehow manages to not be in a swimsuit the whole movie despite being near the ocean the entire time. Also look for Will Samson (Chief from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest), character actor Keenan Wynn (Dr. Strangelove, among many other films), and a soundtrack by Ennio Morricone (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly).

If you can get past (or perhaps celebrate) the more ridiculous elements of the film (like the Orca pushing an iceberg into the boat to damage it, or knowing enough to start a gasoline leak and a fire on land by head-butting a pier support), then you'll have a good time with Orca.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Viy (1967) 4/5 (FTV)
2. Night Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
3. Tigers Are Not Afraid 5/5 (FTV)
4. I Trapped the Devil 4/5 (FTV)
5. Vivarium 3/5 (FTV)
6. The Kiss of the Vampire 3/5 (FTV)
7. The Invisible Man (2020) 4/5 (FTV)
8. Horrors of Malformed Men 3/5 (FTV)
9. Come to Daddy 3/5 (FTV)
10. Dead Alive 4/5
11. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 3/5 (FTV)
12. Swallow 4/5 (FTV)
13. One Cut of the Dead 4/5 (FTV)
14. 3 From Hell 3/5 (FTV)
15. Scared Stiff (1987) 3/5 (FTV)
16. Zoltan: Hound of Dracula 3/5 (FTV)
17. To Your Last Death 2/5 (FTV)
18.The Lodge 4/5 (FTV)
19. Zombie For Sale 4/5 (FTV)
20. The Wind (1986) 3/5 (FTV)
21. The Silent Scream (1979) 3/5 (FTV)
22. Dream Demon 3/5 (FTV)
23. Z (2019) 3/5 (FTV)
24. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4.5/5
25. The Hills Have Eyes part II (1985) 3/5 (FTV)
26. Orca: The Killer Whale 3/5 (FTV)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
26. The Shining (1980) Blu-ray- The GOAT. Nuff said. Doctor Sleep on deck for tonight.
If you haven’t seen it on UHD yet, you’ve got to purchase it. It’s a stunning transfer that really brings the Overlook to life in a whole new way! Details and HDR is gorgeous. I enjoyed Doctor Sleep too (read the book first). I have it on UHD too, and it looks and sounds amazing.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Surprisingly, I was able to fit in a few more films!

Freddy vs. Jason (New Friday the 13th Boxset Blu-ray - same transfer and Dolby TrueHD track from the original release)
This is a guilty pleasure of mine. It’s filled with some hugely annoying characters and some subplots that make no sense, but Freddy and Jason are at their peak of awesomeness and hilarity! All around a good fun ride, and also makes me wonder, what the hell was I wearing back in those days! Lol. It came out when I was in college, back when I was working at Abercrombie and Fitch at the height of my fraternity boy douchebag days!

Savage Streets - Amazon Stream
Not exactly a horror flick, but kind of falls into the realm. Linda Blair plays the tough as nails sexy badass, who takes revenge on a band of punks for taking advantage of her sister (had to fast forward through that, as it was unpleasant) and killing her friend. Really fun throughout and made me want to watch more 80’s flicks!

31 - Amazon Stream
I was planning on buying the Blu-ray, but saw it Amazon, so I gave it a whirl. What a fun thrill ride! I can’t say how much fun I had watching it. I will definitely pick it up on Blu now.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Def Con 4

An orbital nuclear assault platform crash lands back on Earth after a global nuclear war. The surviving crewman finds that Earth is now CHAZ. After a run in with the local Red Dawn fantasy larpers he finds himself a prisoner of the recently defunded mainstream media, their behavior is certainly fitting. Part Mad Max, part The Day After, part Idiocracy, all crap.

The "civilization" that rises up in the two months after the bombs drop are basically kids having a fit over the wifi being down. The surviving crewman basically wishes he burned up on re-entry. Somehow the "people" that are left have a plan to find a clean zone.

It starts pretty strong but bogs down in the Lord of the Flies collapse helmed by the youth. They are complete idiots at every turn. It does get dirty people pretty right however. Kudos to that person or persons. I'm not sure how it's a horror but the poster is cool. I've sat through worse for you guys but this is a total LTV (Last Time View).

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
I saw Def Con 4 in the theaters (wasn't old enough. Had to sneak in). Barely remember it. But I recall not being overly enthused by it and haven't seen it since. I'm digging these blasts from the pasts you guys are finding. There's so many I've forgotten over time.

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
Delete. Duplicate post.

·
Registered
988 Posts
IT Came from Beneath the Sea
(1955)

Ray Harryhausen: The Ultimate Collection Blu-ray
Australia

"It Came From Beneath the Sea"Renowned among monster movie connoisseurs for Harryhausen's cost-efficient creature is a giant, six-tentacled octopus,(the octopus comes with six tentacles instead of the standard issue eight) which is galvanized into action by an H-bomb test. Worse still, the monster is highly radioactive, rendering useless the normal means of defense against it. Beautiful marine biologist Leslie Joyce brilliantly played by Faith Domergue,(Cult Of The Cobra '55, This Island Earth '55, The Atomic Man '56) , team with atomic-submarine commander Kenneth Tobey to halt the creature's progress before it begins to attack major coastal cities.

This is the film that brought together producer Charles H. Schneer and special effects legend Ray Harryhausen. Together, they created some of the best-loved fantasy and science fiction films to grace the silver screen .Their professional relationship would last until Clash of the Titans (1981), the final feature for both men.

Classic low-budget sci-fi flick. "IT Came From Beneath the Sea" looked like it had a larger budget. Much of this was because they had the cooperation of the navy and because they used excellent stock footage. There are a cornucopia of interesting locations the movie draws on. At different times we're inside a submarine , at a beach side sunset, at various points in the SF Bay Area, underwater, in a laboratory, with the climax staged on the Golden Gate Bridge.

Thrilling B movie to the core. Of course, in perspective it's all a fun kind of bad !!! Fans of 50's Sci-Fi will enjoy this entertaining film with terrific "early days" form of stop motion model animation known as "Dynamation" monster effects by the master, Ray Harryhausen. This is truly a great Classic Creature feature 50's Sci-Fi. 8.5/10

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10
14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10
17. Proxy (2013) F.T.V. 9/10
18. The Bad Seed (1956) F.T.V. 7/10
19. Laviathan (1989) 9/10
20. The Abyss (1989) 8/10
21. DeepStar Six (1989) 8/10
22. Deep Rising (1998) 8/10
23. The Uninvited (1944) 8/10
24. Snatchers (2019) F.T.V. 7/10
25. Gremlins (1984) 10/10
26. Horror of Dracula (1958) 8/10
27. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Live Cinema Showing 10/10
. Night of the Lepus (1972) 8/10
29. The First Power F.T.V. (1990) 8/10

30. Nightbreed (1990) 8/10
31. IT Came from
Beneath the Sea (1955) 8.5/10

·
Registered
917 Posts
C.H.U.D. (1984)
Directed by Douglas Cheek
Story by Shepard Abbot, screenplay by Parnell Hall
Starring John Heard, Daniel Stern, Christopher Curry, and Kim Greist (and John Goodman for about 30 seconds)
Prime streaming

Maybe a third time view, C.H.U.D. is one of those guilty pleasure type movies that's got just enough cheese for some good laughs and just enough budding talent to actually keep me engaged. Plus, there are a few nice instances of gore to satiate seasoned horror fans. John Heard is obviously no slouch. Daniel Stern is great as a nutty soup kitchen manager. The monsters are pretty great with slimy, prehistoric, reptilian skin and bright, glowing, yellow eyes. This is another one that falls into that sort of eco-horror realm like Humanoids from the Deep or Piranha. Basically, some nasty stuff has gotten into the NYC sewers from those corrupt government types, and the resulting creatures are killing the vulnerable homeless that no one cares about, which is why they think they can cover it up. However, a cop's wife gets killed, and a soup kitchen manager does care about these people so they'll be damned if they're gonna let some government scum bags get away with this, no matter how powerful they think they are. Hijinks ensue... IMDb: 5.6/10, my score: 6.3/10

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I recommend The Haunting of Bly Manor. A great horror/love story. The ending really surprised my wife and I.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If you haven’t seen it on UHD yet, you’ve got to purchase it. It’s a stunning transfer that really brings the Overlook to life in a whole new way! Details and HDR is gorgeous. I enjoyed Doctor Sleep too (read the book first). I have it on UHD too, and it looks and sounds amazing.
A 4K UHD combo pack of The Shining/Doctor Sleep would be nice. :love:

32561 - 32580 of 32915 Posts