32581 - 32600 of 32915 Posts

·
Registered
5,702 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
27. Green Room (FTV)

Punk rockers witness a murder in a remote white supremacist club, and must find a way to escape alive.

I'd heard a lot of good things about Green Room back in 2016 but at the time I was fatigued with the sheer amount of films that were dealing with a single claustrophobic location and torture, which is what I incorrectly perceived this film to be based on the marketing. Yes, a good deal of the film is spent in the titular green room and the band's attempts to figure a way out of their plight, but while the film is quite violent and gory, it's not at all a torture film--unless you count the audience being expertly tortured by a master director.

This film features not one but two Star Trek alums in Anton Yelchin (Chekov) and Patrick Stewart, both playing against type to great effect. Their cat-and-mouse game is the highlight and central conflict of the film, but there's a great supporting cast (including the apparently ubiquitous Imogen Poots) and the characters are complex and nuanced. Even the neo-Nazis aren't treated as caricatures but actual (if very flawed) human beings. Sometimes we get angry at the decisions these people make and it's hard to really root for anyone, but you always feel like you're watching real people, not cardboard cutouts being put through their paces.

The director does a great job of building tension, holding the audience by the throat and slowly tightening it until we can barely breathe, with intermittent explosions of brutality and gore that will make even seasoned gore hounds squirm. He also shines light on the brutal underbelly of an America that we at once can't recognize but know has always been there, lurking in plain sight. Great stuff, can't recommend enough.

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Viy (1967) 4/5 (FTV)
2. Night Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
3. Tigers Are Not Afraid 5/5 (FTV)
4. I Trapped the Devil 4/5 (FTV)
5. Vivarium 3/5 (FTV)
6. The Kiss of the Vampire 3/5 (FTV)
7. The Invisible Man (2020) 4/5 (FTV)
8. Horrors of Malformed Men 3/5 (FTV)
9. Come to Daddy 3/5 (FTV)
10. Dead Alive 4/5
11. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 3/5 (FTV)
12. Swallow 4/5 (FTV)
13. One Cut of the Dead 4/5 (FTV)
14. 3 From Hell 3/5 (FTV)
15. Scared Stiff (1987) 3/5 (FTV)
16. Zoltan: Hound of Dracula 3/5 (FTV)
17. To Your Last Death 2/5 (FTV)
18.The Lodge 4/5 (FTV)
19. Zombie For Sale 4/5 (FTV)
20. The Wind (1986) 3/5 (FTV)
21. The Silent Scream (1979) 3/5 (FTV)
22. Dream Demon 3/5 (FTV)
23. Z (2019) 3/5 (FTV)
24. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4.5/5
25. The Hills Have Eyes part II (1985) 3/5 (FTV)
26. Orca: The Killer Whale 3/5 (FTV)
27. Green Room 4/5 (FTV)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hell House LLC (2015) FTV
Rating: 3 out of 5
Streamed via Shudder

Continuing with the extreme haunted house theme, this one has a bit of a twist to the formula in that it shows things from the perspective of those setting up the haunted house and some of the 'challenges' that they experienced in doing so. I say challenges because I don't want to give away any spoilers! For sure this one had it's creepy moments and the basement was something else (in fact it reminded me of a house that I saw for sale very cheap several years ago - talk about a missed opportunity on my part haha). I had heard high praise for this one but unfortunately it did not live up to the hype, at least for me. Still, it was a perfectly fine watch and had some good moments and a degree of creepy factor.

Southbound (2015) FTV
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Watched on DVD

I had actually meant to see this for at least a few Octobers now but this year I finally got to it. This horror anthology serves up three very unique tales that are seamlessly interwoven and wrap up nicely. There is definitely a big emphasis on gore here and this somehow reminded me of the V/H/S movies to a degree. It shows that ordinary situations can turn into so much more but also that there can also be a degree of weirdness thrown in as well. In all, I felt this film was missing something but it was still a decent watch and had a good pace.

It Chapter 2 (2019) FTV
Rating: 3 out of 5
Watched on DVD

I found a good price on this one the other day so I grabbed it to complete my set. Chapter One from 2017 was fantastic in my books and definitely had some good scares to go with it. Chapter Two, as the consensus seems to be, is not at that level but still fairly decent (the same is true of the 1990 series as well). Pennywise is still good at what he does best but unfortunately he is generally not used to the same effect as he was in the 2017 movie. I also felt that the bond between the characters here was not at the same level as Chapter One and that this movie relied a lot on flashbacks to the past (although those were generally well done). I really liked the setting of the final one-third of this movie even if the sequence didn't totally wow me. There were also a lot of F-bombs in this, if that's your thing. I thought it was cool that Stephen King himself makes a cameo appearance in this movie. Overall something of a mixed bag here but still good.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts

39. Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013) - FTV

So I never saw the first chapter. But this has a fair amount of flash-backs. So think I got more or less the gist of things, in some broad strokes. Kind of a confusing, and somewhat disturbing story about poltergeists, and a boy who can cross over to the "the other side". There's a little bit of tongue in cheekiness to it as well I guess.

Not really my kinda movie. But some might enjoy it. Perhaps more for the dark humor than the scares I suspect, which are somewhat telegraphed and predictable. Also, "the other side" seemed a little cheesily done, and not terribly covincing imho. YMMV though. Viewed on AMC.

Won't count it towards my total, by I watched a bit of Tim Burton's Corpse Bride on Freeform as well, during the commercial breaks on the above. Since they were on at the same time.

I have seen this a number of times before, and the stop-motion animation is pretty well done.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
I recommend The Haunting of Bly Manor. A great horror/love story. The ending really surprised my wife and I.
Thought I saw this at Walmart. But looks like it was actually a different movie called The Haunting of Borley Manor. I made another list of some potential stuff to check out as well from the movies at Walmart. I'm guessin these are also mostly made for cable or streaming, like the others I posted back here. If anyone else has seen any of these though, and wishes to comment, please do so.

Abigail - 2019 Russian live-action steampunk fantasy action-thriller. Watched the trailer on YT, and it looks somewhat interesting.
American Conjuring
Amulet
- 2020 thriller with Carla Juri and Imelda Staunton.
Blood Immortal - 2020 vamp flick.
The Color Out of Space - 2019 Nic Cage/H.P. Lovecraft movie. This has already been reviewed here, so I kind of know the deal on this one. Still haven't seen it though.
Evil Takes Root: The Curse of the Batibat
Ghosts of War
- 2020 war thriller.
The Haunting of Margam Castle
The Hole
- 2009 Joe Dante thriller.
Mary - 2019 Gary Oldman sea thriller.
Proximity - 2020 movie about aliens.
The Recall - 2017 Wesley Snipes alien abduction flick that I still haven't seen.
Robot Riot
Save Yourselves
- 2020 apocalyptic SF/comedy(?).
Scare Package - 2020 horror anthology.

Non-horror related...

Boudica: Rise of the Warrior Queen - 2019
The Legend of Tomiris - Also 2019.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Relic

Dear Gran, has gone missing. Her daughter and granddaughter go to check on her. The police fire up a search for her. She mysteriously reappears and all seems well. It isn't.

As gran's family comes together to help her out and see if further life plans are needed they notice her behavior changing. Talking to herself, fixated on hobbies, small bursts of violence, begin peeking out. There's a palpable dampness in this movie like molded sheetrock. It permeates every scene and the bass in the score moves around the room like a phantom. When the score dissolves you are often left with just breathing. Most of the action is in a house so the camera work is tight with the typical lighting you'd find there. Where it shines is the mood and all the cards it holds close to its chest.

Beyond the standard sad slide into old age and the family coming to terms with assisted living scenarios there's a darker force at work in Relic. Very well done piece and worth the ride. I don't know if it hits the highs of Deborah Logan as it's been a while since I've seen that one but it for sure is on the same street. Turn out the lights and let it have its time.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Side note, Amulet. I saw it earlier in the year during the lock down. Very strong movie many here will enjoy. Ancient evil and cosmic horror rolled into a PTSD tale. Look for it and check it out.
Thanks for this, darth.

This is my revised (complete) inquiry list, with about a dozen more new titles added (marked with an asterisk*). More ideas, opinions, etc. are welcome on any or all of the following...

???
Abigail (2019 Russian steampunk fantasy/thriller)
Abominable*
Alien Outbreak
Alien Outpost
American Conjuring
The Amityville Harvest*
Amulet (2020)
Baba Yaga: Terror of the Dark Forest
The Barge People
The Blackout: Invasion Earth*
Black Water Abyss*
Blood Immortal
Boudica: Rise of the Warrior Queen
The Color Out of Space
Curtains (1983) - new home video release
A Dark Path
Dark Water (2018)*
The Dead Want Women
Doom: Annihilation*
Evil Takes Root: The Curse of the Batibat
Ghosts of War
Gretel & Hansel
The Haunting of Borley Manor
The Haunting of Margam Castle
The Hole (2009)
House of Shadows*
House of the Witch
Infestation - recent alien invasion flick
I See You* - recent thriller with Helen Hunt.
Jeepers Creepers 3*
The Legend of Tomiris
Leprechaun Returns*
Marrowbone
Mary (2019)
Proximity (2020)
The Recall
Red: Werewolf Hunter
Rise of the Gargoyles
Robot Riot
Save Yourselves!
Scare Package
Tooth Fairy*
The Unfamiliar*
Vampire War
Widow's Point
Witches in the Woods*
Z

·
Registered
989 Posts
Cursed (2005)
DVD Unrated: Edition

DVD Unrated Edition it contains an additional two minutes of gore-fest footage.

Watching Christina Ricci perform on celluloid is my guilty pleasure.......

Director: Wes Craven
Writer: Kevin Williamson
Stars: Christina Ricci, Jesse Eisenberg, Portia de Rossi, Shannon Elizabeth

Horror legend Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson (Scream franchise) bring us this werewolf flick starring the beautiful and talented Christina Ricci (Buffalo 66).

Ellie is a woman who works as a page and assistant for a local talk show. One fateful night, she picks up her bullied younger brother Jimmy and two find themselves in a car accident after avoiding both an animal and slamming into another car. When the siblings attempt to help the other driver, all three are attacked by a monster. Ellie and Jimmy are both slashed by the animal while the other driver is viciously murdered. Soon enough, the siblings realize they are slowly undergoing changes.

The late horror master Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson had become a dream team with their hit collaboration franchise Scream. In 2005, the two have collaborated on their entry into the werewolf genre. What's great in the film are not so much the werewolf effects, but it's the slow tense emotions of lead characters Ellie and Jimmy. They are slowly transitioning and show the signs of eventually becoming werewolf siblings.

Lovely Christina Ricci and Jesse Eisenberg are really quite wonderful in their roles of the siblings afflicted by the lycanthropy. In the case of the beautiful and talented Ricci's Ellie, she gets extremely nervous and becomes more fearful while on the other side of the spectrum, Eisenberg's Jimmy used his powers in a Teen Wolf-style of confidence. The play wonderfully off each other.

What makes the film even more interesting is the film allows everyone to play the guessing game of who is the werewolf responsible. "Cursed" has some of the humor you typically find in a Craven film. Cameos/short appearances abound, including Scott Baio and Craig Kilborn playing themselves, as well as Shannon Elizabeth( Night of the Demons) and Portia de Rossi ( Scream 2).

The werewolf scenes are campy, but the werewolf looks amazing. When a wild, evil, snarling werewolf stops to give people the finger, you know this beast is just not wild enough however it is in good fun and works. There is more awesomeness in the Gore meter if you watch the DVD Unrated version. The original R rated version has been cut in order to receive a PG-13. As the theatrical release stands, chunks of the film appear to be missing. This simply hamstrings the awesomeness of this particular film. The Gore is excellent, visceral and creative. But to see "Cursed" as Wes Craven truly intended. You must buy the DVD Unrated Edition it contains an additional two minutes of gore-fest footage. A Hard (R) is a better fit. Being a desperate werewolf fan, I was just happy to see the big guy back on the big screen. I'm easy to please.
Unrated delivers! These scenes are 'missing' from theatrical release/Blu-ray

Unrated ! Theses scenes are 'missing' from theatrical release/blu-ray.

I am a huge Christina Ricci fan I absolutely think she is a tremendous talent and she does not disappoint in this film she is brilliant as usual. Cursed is a must watch for Christina Ricci fans, Wes Craven aficionados & desperate werewolf lovers who can not get enough lycanthrope cinema. This film is a blast. 8.5/10

The original R rated version has been cut in order to receive a PG-13.
A gorier, unrated version was released on DVD featuring scenes with violence more graphic than what was seen in the theatrical PG-13 version of the film. The differences are as follows (includes Spoilers):
In the PG-13 version, Shannon Elizabeth's character Becky is simply dragged away by the wolf at the end of the opening sequence. In the unrated version, Becky is torn in half and her bloodied upper-torso is tossed back at Jimmy and Ellie.
In the PG-13 version, during Ellie's nightmare, she merely bites Joshua Jackson's character Jake in the neck. The scene then cuts to a quick montage of bizarre images before Ellie wakes up. In the unrated version, after Ellie bites into Jake, she's shown ripping a large chunk of his neck off and then a torrent of blood shoots out of his wound.
In the PG-13 version, after Joanie knocks out Jake she starts looking for Ellie and Jimmy. In the unrated version, she first stops by Kyle's body, digs into the large gash in his stomach with her hands, pulls them out and then licks his blood off her fingers before proceeding to look for Ellie and Jimmy.
In the unrated version, Joanie (in wolf form) is killed when she is shot in the head and her brains slowly ooze onto the floor.
In the PG-13 version, the coroner discovers that Joanie's corpse has changed back into human form when her nude body is shown laying on the floor. In the unrated version, a sheet over her body is pulled back and only her face, complete with a bullet hole in her forehead, is shown.
In the PG-13 version, Jake's death by decapitation occurs off-camera. In the unrated version, Ellie is actually shown stabbing him in the neck with the shovel a couple of times before finally cutting his head off.
DVD Unrated Edition contains additional two minutes of footage.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I went from 28 Weeks Later with Jeremy Renner to Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. Yes, it's that Hansel & Gretel, and years later they still hold a grudge against witches. Plenty of action with decent effects and an interesting story. I started watching this one several years ago but for some reason I didn't finish it. I'm glad I finally got around to it again.

Next I went with Monique Ganderton from Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters to 30 Days of Night: Dark Days. After the FBI covers up the Barrow, Alaska vampire siege a survivor goes on a speaking tour to set the record straight about what really happened, but nobody believes her. After one of her talks in L.A. a small covert group of vampire hunters recruit her to help them track down and kill the vampire queen responsible for the attacks. This movie is just OK. Everything that made the original 30 Days of Night great was removed from the sequel. It would have been over in 10 minutes if someone would have thought of....
attaching the vampire killing lights to a portable generator before going into the tunnels.

1. The Craft
↑ Breckin Meyer ↓
2. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
↑ Robert Englund ↓
3. Lake Placid: The Final Chapter
↑ Jonas Talkington ↓
4. Lake Placid 2
↑ Cloris Leachman ↓
5. Young Frankenstein
↑ Peter Boyle ↓
6. Species II
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
7. Bloodrayne
↑ Meat Loaf ↓
8. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
↑ Patricia Quinn ↓
9. Lords of Salem
↑ Bruce Davison ↓
10. Insidious: The Last Key
↑ Joseph Bishara ↓
11. Annabelle: Creation
↑ Lulu Wilson ↓
12. Becky
↑ Ryan McDonald ↓
13. Halloween: Resurrection
↑ Katee Sackhoff ↓
14. Don't Knock Twice
↑ Javier Botet ↓
15. It Chapter Two
↑ James McAvoy ↓
16. Split
↑ Betty Buckley ↓
17. Carrie
↑ Sissy Spacek ↓
18. An American Haunting
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
19. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
↑ Donald Sutherland ↓
20. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
21. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
↑ Kevin McCarthy ↓
22. The Howling
↑ Kevin McCarthy, Belinda Blasky, Dick Miller, John Sayles, Joe Dante ↓
23. Piranha (1978)
↑ Keenan Wynn ↓
24. The Devil's Rain
↑ Ernest Borgnine ↓
25. Deadly Blessing
↑ Jeff East ↓
26. Pumpkinhead
↑ Lance Henriksen ↓
27. House (2008)
↑ Michael Madsen ↓
28. Hoboken Hollow
↑ Lin Shaye ↓
29. Tales of Halloween
↑ Grace Phipps ↓
30. Fright Night (2011)
↑ Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots, ↓
31. Green Room
↑ Imogen Poots ↓
32. Black Christmas
↑ Imogen Poots ↓
33. 28 Weeks Later
↑ Jeremy Renner ↓
34. Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters
↑ Monique Ganderton ↓
35. 30 Days of Night: Dark Days

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
Watched The Nightmare Before Christmas with me shortest shorty last night. She had never seen it and it’s been quite some time for me. We both had a blast watching it. Who doesn’t need a little Oogie Boogie in their lives? However, there’s an evil to this movie. All morning I’ve been singing “this is Halloween, this is Halloween... everyone hail to the pumpkin king...” Over and over... I’m singing as I’m typing this. Curse you, Tim Burton. :shakingfist :

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
We're heading into the final stretch...
Indeed. This was the only movie I was able to get through last night...

40. Fallen (2016) - FTV

This is based on the first book in Lauren Kate's young adult series of novels about a boarding/reform school with some students with unusual abilities. It is more fantasy than horror. Though it contains some elements of the latter, and also a strong gothic vibe overall. And also borrows heavily from other gothic YA fiction, like the Twilight series.

The good... The movie is very nicely lensed. The effects are well-done. The music score is pretty good. And the acting is also passable.

The not-so-good... Although the storylines are different, the movie does have some similarities to Twilight. So it feels like familiar and previously trodden ground to an extent. And there isn't a clear resolution at the end of the movie. Presumably because it was designed to be the first part in a series. So you're pretty much left hanging without any idea of how the story will resolve... Unless you've read the novels... Which I haven't.

Since the movie and series is unfinished, I can't really recommend this, unless you just want to check out the nice cinematography and effects. The movie was mostly made in Hungary at a couple different locations. So the architecture, gardens, and what have you are at least somewhat distinctive and interesting to look at.

Viewed free w/ads on Tubi.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Dear Gran, has gone missing. Her daughter and granddaughter go to check on her. The police fire up a search for her. She mysteriously reappears and all seems well. It isn't.

As gran's family comes together to help her out and see if further life plans are needed they notice her behavior changing. Talking to herself, fixated on hobbies, small bursts of violence, begin peeking out. There's a palpable dampness in this movie like molded sheetrock. It permeates every scene and the bass in the score moves around the room like a phantom. When the score dissolves you are often left with just breathing. Most of the action is in a house so the camera work is tight with the typical lighting you'd find there. Where it shines is the mood and all the cards it holds close to its chest.

Beyond the standard sad slide into old age and the family coming to terms with assisted living scenarios there's a darker force at work in Relic. Very well done piece and worth the ride. I don't know if it hits the highs of Deborah Logan as it's been a while since I've seen that one but it for sure is on the same street. Turn out the lights and let it have its time.

I've been anticipating this one for a while since seeing one of the director's short films. How did you view it?

32581 - 32600 of 32915 Posts