·
Registered
13,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg /forum/post/17452358

Will see it at 2pm today, I expect greatness

Paranormal Activity
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) personally I say it was a POS, good job on tension but no payoff, I've seen freakier stuff on Ghost Hunters and other shows.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #562

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg /forum/post/17454016

Paranormal Activity Spoiler

Darth I agree but appreciate the effort.

There used to be a show called "Fear" on MTV years ago and P.A. comes nowhere close to the effect that had on me. I was truly scared for those kids in some of the episodes! I wonder what horror movie will be the "talk of the net" next year.

If anyone saw the baseball game last night then you saw the weather in my neck of the woods. The rain throughout the day killed the Halloween mood. Still managed to watch the movie but I saved Orphan and Trick r Treat for today.

Like blood, my marathon has spilled over into November. Heheheheh...

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Oct 31st

116. " The Haunting (1963) "- Dr. Markway, doing research to prove the existence of ghosts, investigates Hill House, a large, eerie mansion with a lurid history of violent death and insanity. Eleanor, whose psychic abilities make her feel somehow attuned to whatever spirits inhabit the old mansion. As time goes by it becomes obvious that they have gotten more than they bargained for as the ghostly presence in the house manifests itself in horrific and deadly ways."

Without the use of blood, guts and gore, a genuinely scary movie and psychological thriller.

Highly Recommended!

117. " The Birds " - "A wealthy San Francisco playgirl pursues a potential boyfriend to a small Northern California town that slowly takes a turn for the bizarre when birds of all kinds suddenly begin to attack people there in increasing numbers and with increasing viciousness."

A classic which just gets better with age!

118. " The Birds II: Lands End "- "A biology teacher and his wife take their two children to an island summer house to enable him to write an important thesis while getting over the death of their son. While they are there, large flocks of birds appear and begin to attack individual humans for no apparent reason."

A travesty!

119. " Halloween H20: 20 Years Later " - "Laurie Strode, now the dean of a Northern California private school with an assumed name, must battle the Shape one last time and now the life of her own son hangs in the balance."

Better than Rob Zombie's remake....but that's not saying much.

120. " Orphan " - "A husband and wife who recently lost their baby adopt a 9-year-old girl who is not nearly as innocent as she claims to be."

One of the better horror movies I've seen in a while and still thrilling upon 2nd viewing.

"According to the Estonian mental institute records, Esther was born on April the 20th - Hitler's birthday."

"The film seems to have been loosely inspired by the case of Treva Throneberry, a woman who conned social services from various states into believing she was an orphaned teenager well into her late twenties."

Isabelle Fuhrman's performance as 'Esther' is amazing!

121." Taxidermia " - "Taxidermia contains three generational stories, about a grandfather, a father, and a son, linked together by recurring motifs. The dim grandfather, an orderly during World War Two, lives in his bizarre fantasies; he desires love. The huge father seeks success as a top athlete -- a speedeater -- in the postwar pro-Soviet era. The grandson, a meek, small-boned taxidermist, yearns for something greater: immortality. He wants to create the most perfect work of art of all time by
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) stuffing his own torso.

Historical facts and surrealism become intertwined as magical realism, like in the works of Gabriel GarcÃ*a Marquez or the Hungarian writer Lajos Parti Nagy; the script is based on two of the latter’s stories. Palfi added the third story, that of the grandson the taxidermist.

The first section begins with a disembodied voice pontificating obliquely about creation and three generations, explaining that if something has to end, the beginning has to be important. Immediately we see the grandfather, Vendel Morosgoványi (Csaba Czene), who is berated by his lieutenant in a remote outpost, with only the lieutenant’s fat wife and two beautiful daughters around. He retreats into the realm of gratification, no matter how extreme. He peeps in the daughters’ bath, drinks the girls’ dirty bathwater, masturbates until his penis emits flames of fire, and sleeps with the lieutenant’s wife. She becomes pregnant and the lieutenant blows off Vendel’s head — but raises his child, Kálmán.

In the second part, Kálmán (Gergõ Trócsányi) has become obese and competes for Hungary in eating competitions that their backers hope will be recognized by the International Olympic Committee. Against a backdrop of empty Communist spectacle and military poseurs, Kálmán strives to win. He meets up with an oversized woman, Gizella (Adél Stanczel), another speedeating competitor, and the two get married, although she has sex with his teammate during the wedding party. She and Kálmán embark on a long honeymoon, returning to their respective factories to practice. Gizella gives birth to a tiny, tiny son, Lajos.

Section three, which is contemporary, is calmer, less manic than the previous two. Lajos (Mark Bischoff) has become a quiet taxidermist who has no prospects in love; he is rejected by the supermarket cashier, for one. He is as frustrated in his way as his grandfather was in his, but Lajos’s fertile imagination will prove to work in a very different way. His father, Kálmán, has reached enormous proportions and can no longer move. Kálmán’s wife has long ago left him, so Lajos brings food and cleans the apartment where Kálmán (now Gábor Máté, in a fatsuit) sits amidst boxes of food and the three cats he pushes to overeat. One day Lajos finds Kálmán dead, possibly having exploded from overeating or having been mauled by one of the cats. He stuffs him, and immediately after, begins stuffing himself by locking his body onto a board surrounded by perfectly attuned machines. At the end of the procedure, a glass blade he has set up decapitates him and an electric saw severs his right arm. The two men are found by a customer, Dr. Regõczy (Géza Hegedžs D.), who puts them on display at a chic art exhibition. Dr. Regõczy, whose lecture is a continuation of the voiceover at the very beginning of the film, maintains that one can mount one’s father and oneself but can not mount the essence, that being what Lajos felt at the moment the blade cut off his head. The camera moves into the black void beyond Lajos’s bellybutton. --© Regent Releasing"

I first viewed "Taxidermia" in early 2007 ( comments here ) and have never forgotten it. This is one of my all time favorites which I saved for last.

This is a strange and grotesquely bizarre horror/black comedy/drama that's disturbing yet mesmerizing. If you can handle it, this is one film you will not forget anytime soon! A masterpiece!

Highly Recommended! -
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Don't plan on eating after wards!

Best of the Day - "Taxidermia"

What a great "Horrorfest" this year. I really enjoyed everyone's lists and comments; can't wait until next year!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
33. Halloween

The first and best of the "Halloween" movies, I know it's a bit of a cliche to watch this on Halloween night, but what the heck. Still effective after dozens of viewings. Donald Pleasence really raises this to something more than just a teen slasher. Strange to see Jamie Lee Curtis so young.

FINAL 2009 Horror Movie Marathon List:

1. The Golem

2. Onibaba

3. Fire in the Sky

4. Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

5. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer

6. Ju-On

7. The Fearless Vampire Killers

8. The Girl Next Door (2007)

9. Deep Red

10. Deadgirl

11. Frightmare

12. Zombieland

13. Paranormal Activity

14. The Nightmare Before Christmas

15. Deathdream (aka Dead of Night)

16. Trick 'r Treat

17. Mother of Tears

18. A Tale of Two Sisters

19. Dance of the Dead

20. Nightmare

21. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)

22. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

23. Blacula

24. Them (aka Ils)

25. Hour of the Wolf

26. Silk

27. Phantom of the Opera (1962)

28. Blue Sunshine

29. Opera

30. Wizard of Gore

31. Daughters of Darkness

32. Fear(s) of the Dark

33. Halloween

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Best year ever, guys! Thanks for all the great recommendations, I will be referring back to this thread for months just to catch up on all the great horror I might have missed. Thanks to everyone for keeping this great tradition going!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Great year guys, congrats to all here.

A bunch of great lists and reviews too, i have already bought and watched some movies because of it, and will go back and look at the lists for more suggestions for the future.

Today i printed a return label from Amazon to return my defective disc of Suspiria, and i told them i wanted a replacement. When that comes, i will watch it, and while it wont count towards the October watches, i will let you guys know what i thought of it in this thread at that time.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
The wife and I both really enjoyed Orphan last night. Great take on the evil child thing and it had us immersed in it within minutes!

I have several movies that I wanted to see and will be watching throughout Nov before the Christmas movies start.

Yet to be watched:

The Changeling

Sick Nurses

Scanners

Eden Lake

Dead Alive

Pumpkin Head

The Company of Wolves

Night of the Creeps

Taxidermia

My completed list is here... what a great time! Thanks again to everyone for making this so fun!
October 2009 - list of 31

1. Something Wicked This Way Comes 3 1/2 stars... good fun!

2. Wrong Turn 3 1/2 stars; Predictable redneck cannibal slasher but I liked it!

3. Saw 4 stars - very original with a great story

4. A Haunting in Connecticut 3 1/2 stars - Better than expected with some pretty creepy scenes but still pretty predictable

5. Trick 'R Treat 4 stars, instant new classic campy and fun, didn't find much to dislike

6. The Shinning 4 stars... classic!

7. The Midnight Meat Train 4 stars - great movie with a story that gets better as it goes

8. Poltergeist 5 stars - an all time favorite, not too scary anymore but very well done and a must for Halloween

9. Pontypool 4 stars - excellent, original, and creative. An asset to the zombie genre and a must see for any horror fan.

10. Session 9 5 stars - Disturbing with a real creepy backdrop that can't be made on a movie set.

11. Paranormal Activity 3 1/2 stars - overhyped but still pretty damn creepy and worth seeing (probably best viewed at home)

12. Creepshow 4 stars - original and fun, excellent score and the monster in the crate will never get old!

13. The Descent 5 stars, one of the scariest creature flicks in the past ten years.. easy.

14. The Thing (1982) 5 stars - A perfect horror horror movie... pretty much says it all.

15. Audition 5 stars - disturbing and well worth waiting for the last 15 minutes!

16. Deadgirl sick and disturbing, not horror but very original if you can stomach it

17. Saw III 3 1/2 stars - My second favorite in the series

18. Saw II 3 stars - enjoyed this one more the second time around for the story but the buff guys is just too damn annoying!

19. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) 4 stars - One of the best remakes, amazing PQ on blu and great featurette on the read deal.

20. House on Haunted Hill (remake 1999) 3 stars - a prefect example of a fantastic remake screwed by cheesy CGI in the las 20 min.

21. Sweeney Todd 5 stars - In my top 10 (maybe 5) of all time favorite films... simply brilliant!

22. Ravenous 2 stars - not a bad movie but it just didn't do it for me

23. The Relic 4 stars - Excellent creature feature with an original story and well done effects from the creators of T2 and Aliens.

24. The Girl Next Door 4 stars - exceptionally disturbing but I wouldn't necessarily place it in the horror genre

25. An American Werewolf in London 5 stars - easily the greatest werewolf movie ever made and one of the all time best horror films.

26. Interview With A Vampire 5 stars, probably the best vampire movie ever made imo

27. The Hills Run Red - 3 stars - A couple good plots twists and some solid slasher moments

28. Orphan 4 stars - great movie with a nice twist towards the ends, very enjoyable take on the evil child story

29. The Entity - 2 1/2 stars - Not poorly done but the story did not really hold my interest

30. Suspiria - 5 stars - Very well done, good story, good audio track, and excellent backdrop

31. Mother of Tears 2 1/2 stars - This one had an excellent story but the acting was so poor it could not be saved.

31. Halloween (1978) 5 stars - Campy, classic, slasher bedrock, what's not to love?

"Twilight Zone The Movie: Horror At 20,000 Feet" 5 stars - I only watched this short out of the whole movie but it is fantastic, creepy, and wll done! Highly recommended!

Of the movies watched for the first time my favorites were Suspiria and Pontypool.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Well, happy belated Halloween to everyone. It has been a few days since I posted (due to relatives being here for the weekend) but we ended out the challenge as expected with Inside (Thu), House of 1000 Corpses (Fri) and Halloween/Orphan double feature for Halloween Night. 4 great choices to finish off my list!! My official page has been updated and completed.

I had an absolute blast as this year was even more fun than last. Thanks for everyone's participation, recommendations and reviews. See you all in about 11 months!! Hopefully everyone will be back.

Over and out.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
One last bit: Trick R Treat was too damn short!!!!!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/17463618

Hey I won 1st place

Congrats!! Knew you would.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Way to go Kenobi, you deserved it!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Nice work my friend! I suppose they were afraid to pick anyone else though, considering you already "whacked" a co-worker for nothing more than decorative purposes.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I got an email from Amazon, they have shipped my replacement disc of Suspiria. Cant wait!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/17463618

Hey I won 1st place

Congrats!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman /forum/post/17467227

I got an email from Amazon, they have shipped my replacement disc of Suspiria. Cant wait!

Which version did you get? I almost ordered a copy that Amazon reported to have the original Italian audio track with English subs but after a closer look it was the same version I rented which DID NOT have the Italian audio track with English subs. I'd like to find one but if it's too much of a PITA I may wait for blu

wizzack - lol, thanks! I actually already had someone ask me that at work and I thought "damn I dono"... maybe some white pillow cases soaked in blood tied and filled with "parts"... maybe an autopsy table with a satterlee bone saw... torso hanging from hooks? I have no idea but I'll have to one up myself for sure!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Here is the description from Amazon on Suspiria:

Product Details

Actors: Jessica Harper, Stefania Casini, Alida Valli, Joan Bennett, Udo Kier

Directors: Dario Argento

Format: Anamorphic, Closed-captioned, Dolby, DTS Surround Sound, NTSC

Language: French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 6.1 EX), Italian (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)

Region: All Regions

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Number of discs: 2

Rating: Unrated

Studio: Blue Underground

DVD Release Date: September 25, 2007

Run Time: 98 minutes

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Okay I am thoroughly confused. When I watched Suspiria, I honestly thought they were speaking English as we listened to the Dolby Digital 6.1 mix. It just appeared that it was slightly out of sync with their mouths. Now people are posting that the original track is in Italian and they used English subtitles to go along with it. I thought that I had gone completely mad because I had not noticed that they weren't speaking English and I watched the whole damn thing!!

Well I did a little searching online and found that some of the actors were speaking English (Jessica Harper for one) while others were speaking in their native tongue (whatever that may have been since there were many different nationalities represented in the cast). After they all read their lines in their own language, the soundtrack was then mixed in the language that matched the country where they planned on releasing it. Very interesting, as far as I'm concerned. Is this common procedure when making certain films? At least I don't feel like such an idiot now, but I'm still floored that I didn't notice that some of the people weren't speaking English. Like I said, I just thought the soundtrack was out of sync.

If this is true, it certainly explains why I had such a hard time with the dialog. It was so choppy and unnatural; which makes perfect sense if they were speaking to each other in languages that the other couldn't understand.

Any thoughts/rebuttals on this?

561 - 580 of 32796 Posts