AVS Forum banner

10381 - 10400 of 31723 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It would seem that if there is any "transcoding" in the mix you will take a hit on quality. As for our house and use case that hit is trumped by convenience and less garbage oozing from the screen.

I used a dlna server called Serviio and had fantastic quality but the user interface was not helpful in keeping the wife on board for cord cutting. I still use it as I can control subtitles. We decided on Plex and have been very pleased but I can see the PQ difference. As for software MakeMKV and Handbrake are the go to's for me. It's understood that any conversion will cause compression artifacts and I wind up with a file that looks superior to anything on D* HD and slightly less than perfect from a Blu. If you have the storage space then you can't go wrong with the mkv it's 1:1.

I recall MakeMKV and Handbrake as popular options but eventually chose AnyDVD and CloneDVD as my choices for software. I ripped my discs as perfect 1:1 ISOs because I decided right off the bat that storage space would not dictate the quality of my rips. Right now I have 5 terabytes, but to finish all my blu-rays, I'm likely gonna have to add another hard drive. With regard to Plex, I have no experience with that software. Have you ever used XBMC....or Media Browser? If so, what was the reason for going in a different direction? Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
I recall MakeMKV and Handbrake as popular options but eventually chose AnyDVD and CloneDVD as my choices for software. I ripped my discs as perfect 1:1 ISOs because I decided right off the bat that storage space would not dictate the quality of my rips. Right now I have 5 terabytes, but to finish all my blu-rays, I'm likely gonna have to add another hard drive. With regard to Plex, I have no experience with that software. Have you ever used XBMC....or Media Browser? If so, what was the reason for going in a different direction? Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Plex is a fork of XBMC but all that apt get install repository kernel compile stuff is gone. It also has native apps on smart Tv's and Roku devices. High WAF as well.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I ripped my discs as perfect 1:1 ISOs because I decided right off the bat that storage space would not dictate the quality of my rips.
Plex is a fork of XBMC but all that apt get install repository kernel compile stuff is gone. It also has native apps on smart Tv's and Roku devices. High WAF as well.
I really like Plex but it doesn't support playback from ISO images. Media Browser might be a better choice for him.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
I really like Plex but it doesn't support playback from ISO images. Media Browser might be a better choice for him.
Trying that app now. Would the benefit of ISO playback mean menus?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

·
22,977 Posts
Just saw that as well. As much as I appreciate his reviews I know that our tastes don't align too often on horror so that one will be a bottom of the pile title for me :D
Yea, he said "mildy entertaining". I would have been more inclined to watch it if he said "mildly disgusting". :)

larry

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Besides the Halloween complete set coming out, I just saw that The Exorcist Collection is coming out! http://www.amazon.com/Exorcist-Complete-Anthology-Beginning-Dominion/dp/B000HEWEGC/ I know Heretic is kind of a downer but 5 movies for $5 dollars each isn't so bad?

I just pre-ordered it because I thought I had the Exorcist on BD but I don't or any of the other films so I think I will be watching all the Exorcist this year!

Anybody watch Wolf Creek 2 yet? It came out yesterday and I want to hear if you guys loved it!

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Besides the Halloween complete set coming out, I just saw that The Exorcist Collection is coming out!I know Heretic is kind of a downer but 5 movies for $5 dollars each isn't so bad?

I just pre-ordered it because I thought I had the Exorcist on BD but I don't or any of the other films so I think I will be watching all the Exorcist this year!

Anybody watch Wolf Creek 2 yet? It came out yesterday and I want to hear if you guys loved it!
Mick Taylor > Freddie Krueger

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
I was perusing horror selections on YouTube Movies yesterday and watched the trailer for "Bacterium". I knew I had seen it listed somewhere and it wasn't Netflix but Hulu. Looks like it might be a fairly bad cult movie (which often means good in that genre). I planned to watch it last night but opted for another episode of "Salamander" on NF as it was getting late.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
You guys are bastards, if someone would have come on out and said "hey man Eva Green is I Showrimes Penny Dreadful" we all would have been on board quicker than a Mexican cartel receiving a shipment from Eric Holder.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
You guys are bastards, if someone would have come on out and said "hey man Eva Green is I Showrimes Penny Dreadful" we all would have been on board quicker than a Mexican cartel receiving a shipment from Eric Holder.
It's funny your mention that. Penny Dreadful is the reason I decided to add Showtime to my FiOS subscription on Wednesday. I ended up getting all of the pay movie channels instead of just adding Showtime and I reduced my bill by $2.50 a month. I already had HBO and Cinemax for $27 a month. The fully loaded entertainment package is $49 a month and they are offering 50% off for a year so it ends up costing $24.50 a month. Go figure.

Showtime is running a Penny Dreadful marathon on Saturday night so I'll get caught up from the beginning. :)

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Yeah or Billie Piper's booty gets airtime.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
It's funny your mention that. Penny Dreadful is the reason I decided to add Showtime to my FiOS subscription on Wednesday. I ended up getting all of the pay movie channels instead of just adding Showtime and I reduced my bill by $2.50 a month. I already had HBO and Cinemax for $27 a month. The fully loaded entertainment package is $49 a month and they are offering 50% off for a year so it ends up costing $24.50 a month. Go figure.

Showtime is running a Penny Dreadful marathon on Saturday night so I'll get caught up from the beginning. :)
I caught a 20min ending of an episode that I have no idea where it is in the series but it looked pretty solid. Add Eva Green to anything and I'm in. Is it no NF yet or just youtube?

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
I'll give "Bacterium" three goopy creatures. It really is a like a campy send off of 1970s horror disaster movies. It is rated PG-13 on Hulu but probably should be R or NR (wink, wink, nod, nod). It's also shot on video so if you don't like the "soap opera" look you might want to skip but most shots were "locked down" not "shaky cam."

10381 - 10400 of 31723 Posts