AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen this before? I just RTV_Patched a 60 GIG to an 80 GIG... Everything is working properly with the 80GIG installed, but the SS-2000 still says that I only have 123 hours available. This is what I had prior to replacing one of my 60 GIG drives.

All of the numbers check out (i.e. I checked the drive model number to be sure that I wasn't sold an 60 for a 80... also, my XP-PC says it's an 80)

I copied the System partition... then the MPG partition... put it all back in my trusty SS and everything worked like it should. EXCEPT, I should now have 140+ hours, instead of 123+.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA,

X

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Theory 1 - You didn't deduct scheduled guaranteed recordings from available space.

Theory 2 - 80 gig is drive 1 of 2 drive system but it wasn't patched as single drive upgrade before adding drive 2. Failure to patch results in same size partition as source.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
Theory 1 - You didn't deduct scheduled guaranteed recordings from available space.

Theory 2 - 80 gig is drive 1 of 2 drive system but it wasn't patched as single drive upgrade before adding drive 2. Failure to patch results in same size partition as source.
Thanks for the reply...

1. Well, I turned EVERYTHING to non-guaranteed! I only had a few shows set to guaranteed, so that was no problem.

2. This is probably the explanation... although I am a little unclear.

Just to clarify, you are saying that I will need to place REPLAY drives 1 & 2 into my PC, then repatch them again as a 2 drive system? This makes sense... I will let ya know.

Thanks Mikeyboy!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
No, When you copied the system partition from 60 to 80 without repatching you end up with 20 gigs unallocated in a third partition. Proceeding with 2 drive system retains the third partition (20 gig unallocated).

To fix the problem patch drive 1 as a single drive upgrade moving mpg partition to end of drive. Now add 2nd drive under Dual Drive System.

To prove this using a Win2000/XP operating system right clicking on My Computer, select "Manage" then 'Disk Management". You will see a graphic depicting the third partition (unallocated) on the 80 gig.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MB... still having some odd problems though. When I repatched as you explained in your previous post... I placed them back in RTV and I had NO feed coming from the RF input. I knew the coax cable was not the culprit, because it JUST WORKED!!

I am a PC Tech, so troubleshooting rules say "undo what you just did!" So I replaced the original 60GIG drive, repowered, and lo & behold... INPUT!! (insert your own memories of "Short Circuit" here)

Does that make ANY sense?!?

When the 80 is installed, and when I change the channels, I don't get a "blue screen" with that "confirm" statement at the bottom... just plain ol' black screen.

I know "You Da Man", so can you help me redirect this seething energy? :)

TIA

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The 80 gig should work as well as the 60. I don't know why you got black screen when attempting to tune RF. Tuners do act up once in a while. Cold booting or 777 zones RFD corrects that.

Here is how I would create the 2 drive system. Mirror the functional 60 onto the 80 gig and patch it using RTVPatch 2.2.4 answering yes to all prompts for memory saving large clusters. Now add 2nd drive again answer yes to all prompts for large clusters. Set 80 gig jumper to master, 60 gig to slave and boot it up in the Showstopper. If the tuner acts weird (it shouldn't) do 777 zones "restore factory default". This upgrade should perform flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
This upgrade should perform flawlessly.
Sure... rub my face in it!! :D

Well, here's an update... I threw out everything and started from scratch! Deleted all partitions that were there via XP. Reboot.

Ran PATCH 2.2.4... saw that 80GIG drive was "unknown" and the 60GIG still said it was RTV disk 2 of 2. Formatted 60GIG drive in XP (as a PC disk -- NTFS). Reboot.

Back into disk mgmt -- delete 60 GIG NTFS partition. Reboot.

Back into PATCH 2.2.4., Showed both as unknown. Proceeded to restore "your" image to the 80GIG. Then patched drive (as single)

Then set that drive as "disk 1" and set 60 GIG as "drive 2". Ran "create 2 drive system"... then patched (all patches were done using LARGE cluster format)

Placed back into RTV and did a 777-Z, DL'd all my local info... and voila... NADA!!!

No Vid, no audio, zippo zilch! I even traded coax cables with another nearby tuner... and more of the same on the RTV... BUT the second tuner was functioning perfectly (thus eliminating the coax as the possible culprit)

As I said before... If I reinsert the original 60GIG I HAVE A/V!!

(keep in mind, this *was* a functioning 2 drive system @ 2 60GIGs, all I want to do is convert the master 60GIG to the new 80GIG, thus bringing me to a total of 140Hrs. on an 80 & a 60)

Confused yet? Yeah me 2!

Why would 1 drive allow me to have coax input, and not the other?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's another (and maybe my LAST in this thread) update:

I, just for shiit's and giggles, decided to take the secondary 60GIG out of the equation. This worked!! I now have A/V and all of my channels!

There must have been something about the second 60GIG that RTV didn't like. Has anyone ever seen this before? Mikeyboy? anyone?

So since this is my wife's RTV... I bet she can live with it. For now.

(Just for the record, this RTV had an external dual-drive enclosure that has it's own power supply. I now have the single drive operating from the usual drive location inside the RTV. While this config worked before, with the 2 60GIGs... when the 80 was introduced into the mix... it was a no go!!)

Well, since I have just invested about 18 hours into this issue... I must now sleep!

Kazizza!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Any takers on a bet that his master/slave jumpering was all messed up?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Careful, you might lose that bet!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to qualify my last post... during my troubleshooting, I did 411-Zones and both drives were IDing themselves properly. Everything functioned as it should, just NO A/V...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The variable is the external enclosure. I've witnessed one external enclosure that caused skipping in a Maxtor 120 gig drive but never a tuning problem.

When you get bored try running the 80 and 60 inside the replay using the built in power supply. It probably will work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.