AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now how's this for odd: I recorded a bunch of clips in the new Pioneer DVR-533H, then imported them into the PC, edited them with Womble, and exported to a new, completed MPEG file. The file was a "100% stream copy" -- no re-encoding.

I then brought that into DVD Workshop, added chapters and a menu, and burned to a DVD-R. When I play this back in a variety of players, it works fine, BUT when I play it in the Pioneer, the machine goes goes into a freeze frame at every edit point! If I press "pause" and then "play" it will continue on, but then it'll freeze again at the next edit point. I don't get it -- all the clips where exactly the same -- all recorded at XP with AC-3.

Anyone run into something like this in the past? It sure seems weird to me, especially since other players, including a $50 Cyberhome (!) have no problem with it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sean, you're confusing XP+ with XP. XP is burnable to DVD.

videojanitor, try burning the edited DVD to a different brand of media and see if that changes the Pioneer's odd behavior.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried two different brands (Fuji and Verbatim) -- same result. If I re-encode the project with DVD Workshop, then it works fine, so I am thinking maybe there is something weird going on with the edits in Womble. I just downloaded the latest version, and will try loading my project into that, then re-exporting it. Definitely strange ...

... hours pass ...

OK, that did the trick. Installed the latest version of Womble, opened my project, re-exported the MPEG, opened DVD Workshop, burned disc -- it plays fine now in the Pioneer and all other players.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
For as long as I can remember, many people on this forum have expressed the opinion that DVD recorders were not good players compared to even the $90 variety of mass market dedicated players. You have just provided further evidence of that. A glitch in Womble that was compensated for in even the lowest of the low end players, yet confounded the Pioneer DVDR.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
This sounds very much like the MPG files I get out of the software that came with my ATI All-In-Wonder card. They play fine using various players, but they cause Windows Media Player to crash. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Glad to hear you've found the workaround. I guess that means that if a disc can play in a Pioneer DVDR it's a good indication that the encoded MPG stream can be played in any player.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, and the frustrating thing for us end-users is that there's no way for us to easily identify the cause of the problem. All we can do is try various different ways of doing things to see if we can work around it. Obviously, there was something about that edited MPEG file that wasn't right, but most playback devices didn't care and played it anyway -- the Pioneer however was not able to get past the roadblock. Whatever the cause, the software's author obviously knew about it, because he fixed it.

This seems to be "the way it is" with digital video -- the same thing happens with digital TV broadcasts -- there can be things wrong with a particular station's data stream that doesn't affect some receivers, but causes other to have a cow.

Ah, I miss analog ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.