AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to watch some TV after work, and started having issues with my cable.

The box turns on fine, DCH3416 (Comcast). The Guide pops up, but all I get is a black screen with a error message saying something along the lines of "This channel will be available shortly". All of the channels say this, however the guide shows the correct info. Also, if I attempt to watch a show off the DVR, the progress bar at the bottom pops up with the shows name, then hangs, and goes black again.

I have done the standard, unplug-wait-plug back in-wait, reset ordeal. I have also contacted Comcast to set up a tech visit (in a week). The crappy thing is this is the second box to do this in a month. I can access the "menu" white screen setup with no issues.

The issue persists regardless of connection (HDMI, Component, composite).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I am just guessing here but...

Sounds like you might be having a problem with your return path. That is the cable box is failing to contact the head end. So eventually it just quits working.

This was a common "hack" back in the early days of PPV boxes. They use to sell filters that blocked the return path so PPV purchases would not be reported.

Newer boxes "phone home" frequently and will disable it's self if sooner or later if it can't make a connection.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011 /forum/post/14353859

I am just guessing here but...

Sounds like you might be having a problem with your return path. That is the cable box is failing to contact the head end. So eventually it just quits working.

This was a common "hack" back in the early days of PPV boxes. They use to sell filters that blocked the return path so PPV purchases would not be reported.

Newer boxes "phone home" frequently and will disable it's self if sooner or later if it can't make a connection.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder if I have a wiring problem as this is the second box to do this in 2 months. Odd thing is they were two different models, DHC 3416 and a DCT6400.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts