AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being a little quick on the trigger finger, I didn't do a good enough job looking at the dimensions of my recently purchased 106" Elite Screen. Since I can't fill it with my 16:9 projector, I'm looking for a slick way to convert it to a 100", 16:9 screen. Paint maybe? Not sure.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Could just add masking to square things up with the desired aspect ratio.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrke1 /forum/post/20773527

MM - It's retractable. My initial thought is to tape off the biggest image I can get and put a thin layer of paint on.

Paint is one solution.

Disney "Mouse Ears" Black in a satin, applied over several very light duster coats would be the best possible choice in a paint.

Applying self-adhesive ProtoStar Telescope Flocking is another.
http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm
http://www.fpi-protostar.com/hitack.htm

While the former is certainly worlds less expensive, seeing that you'll only need a Quart and you will be spraying it on (...won't you?...) it does involve taking care not to get any "Black Bleed-through" under the taped boarder and onto the viewing area. Also, it will probably not be a match for the existing Black Boarder. You'll have to double mask....with the entire Screen area covered in .7 Mil Plastic, and the edges of the original Boarder will need to be covered and "Taped' to the underlying Wall. If you instead opt to roll, you absolutely must "lock" the edge of the tape by ever so lightly applying a thin brushing of the Paint along the edge of the masked area, slightly overlapping the tape and onto the screen area that will get the painted treatment. Let that thoroughly dry before you attempt to apply any more black paint. Fail to do that, and the Tape might get saturated at the edge, lift, and allow a cappilary action to start where tiny little fingers of Black Paint could creep under the tape and make things get nasty fer ya.

The ProtoStar needs only to be trimmed to the desired width, the backing peeled off, and applied directly to the Screen material...even overlaying the existing boarder. It comes in 30" x 200" rolls, so unless you'll need 4 strips where each is over 7'5" wide, one $85.00 order will suffice. And BTW, the quality of the masking effect will exceed anything you might have ever imagined, seeing that the ProtoStar absorbs "OVER" 99% of all light that strikes it.

However, just as one make take the necessary care in avoiding issues when painting a Boarder, you would also have to be very exacting when applying the ProtoStar. It's adhesive is very aggressive, and trying to get it to release from a surface is an exercise in futility. Leastwise as much as when it does come away, it usually means the ProtoStar has been stretch out of shape, and if/when that happens, it will never lay flat again.

So apply it right the first time.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrke1 /forum/post/20774736

Will either of these options take issue to the fact this screen is electric and rolls up?

No. Choose your method and then re-post, and any specific considerations can...and will be discussed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.