AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My mother was given this recorder for Christmas from her sister, and we want to replace the vcr in terms of our setup:

Cable from wall (RF) > Rogers Digital Cable Box (RF)> Recording Device (RF) > TV (RF)

Easiest setup for my technologically challeged mother.

The problem I am encountering is that there is no menu's or anything that appear with this setup (though TV picture is fine we can watch tv just cant get the recorder to do anything with just the RF (TV cable) hooked up in the above setting).

Update:

I have been able to get the player to work fine and show menu's and everything by adding in the Red/White/Yellow cables to the video out on the player and the TV's Video IN (Video 1) ports to the above setup...

I have never had to set up my LG LRH-780 HDD/DVD recordxer or even a VCR like this... It should work with just the TV cable...

anyhow I am running a test of the timer recording to a Verbatim DVD+RW I had kicking around... not sure if the timer will function with the player left powered on (that way my mom wouldn't have to always switch the tv to VIDEO 1 to watch her recordings)...

If anyone has gotten the recorder to work with just the RF cables, please tell me what you did to get it working that way...

This is a nice little machine and I would hate to have to ret rid of it just because my mother can't record and watch her shows....

Update 2: Player will only record while it's turned off.
oh well. the player is working as advertized. My mother will just have to learn a few extra steps to using the recorder compared to using the vcr....

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/15440927

Unlike VCRs, DVDRs don't pass any internal signal (menus, channels, DVDs) thru their coax/RF cable... that's only a "passthru" of the incoming signal so downstream devices, like cable boxes and TVs, can tune by themselves.

Ah. that explains that, so my LG LRH-780 HDD/DVD recorder must be an exception as it has it's internal info pass thru the RF/Coax cable to the TV like ancient DVD players and All vcr's do, in addition to the other video outputs.

the diagram is kinda confusing...

but thanks for the link, I have bookmarked the post to figure out later.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkinson001 /forum/post/15441499

Ah. that explains that, so my LG LRH-780 HDD/DVD recorder must be an exception as it has it's internal info pass thru the RF/Coax cable to the TV like ancient DVD players and All vcr's do, in addition to the other video outputs.

Yes, your LG is an exception... coax connection is not a passthru.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.