AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm updating my HT, which involves upgrading the TV, which is also involving updating the entertainment center. I have a wall about 6' long, with a door to the left, and about another 1' wall to the left of the door before there's a stairwell.

I have a new RPTV on order, which I will place against this 6' wall. The TV should be about 50", and to be directly in front of the primary viewing areas would be left of center on this wall (closer to the door). The center channel speaker will sit on top of the TV, and the seating position will be about 12' from the TV.

My options for mounting the 2 front speakers are:

1) Equidistant on either side of the TV, though not very far from the TV, maybe 6"-1' at most from either side. (I'm limited due to the door on the left.) The total distance between the L/R speakers would be only about 5-6'.

2) Space the speakers out further, though they won't be centered around the TV or viewing area. The right speaker would be closer to the TV than the left, because the door on the left forces me to mount the speaker on the wall to the left of the door. The right would be close to the corner of the room. Total seperation would be around 10', but they would be off-center from the center channel speaker and the listening positon.

Either scenario would require me mounting the L/R speakers on the wall, so they will be about 12" behind the screen and center channel. I don't think this is a major concern.

Neither is an ideal scenario, I would think, but which would be the lesser evil? My reciever is a Yamaha 5590, and I'm fairly certain it has the capability to adjust the balance of the individual speakers, but I'm not sure if that's the best solution, or how to go about optimizing the soundfield.

Any thought, suggestions, comments? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Lee, by all means try both ways, and just don't cut the wires until you've decided.

All other things being equal, I'd suggest the farther-apart setup. Don't forget to set the delay for the closer center speaker.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Larry...

Is there some type of dB meter that I can get at a reasonable cost that would help me tune it in, or would I just be better off 'playing it by ear'?

And speaking of cutting wires, regardless of speaker placement, do you think it's important to keep the length of the wires the same for both the L/R speakers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.