AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been calibrating my Tag Mclaren DVD player, the RGB reading is fine but the Gamma is very odd. As you can see below:

Attachment 167550 Attachment 167551 Attachment 167552


I readings from my blu-ray player using the same DVD for calibration and the readings are fine.


My dvd player is connected via the component input on the Pioneer plasma.


Can anyone throw any light on that I am seeing, the picture looks good, better than my Pioneer playing DVD's, but the reading suggest something is not right?


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange55 /forum/post/18162951


I have been calibrating my Tag Mclaren DVD player, the RGB reading is fine but the Gamma is very odd. As you can see below:

Attachment 167550 Attachment 167551 Attachment 167552


I readings from my blu-ray player using the same DVD for calibration and the readings are fine.


My dvd player is connected via the component input on the Pioneer plasma.


Can anyone throw any light on that I am seeing, the picture looks good, better than my Pioneer playing DVD's, but the reading suggest something is not right?

Try 10-pt grayscale readings and HDMI if you have it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Make sure your test patterns are relatively small windows. Plasmas don't like too much of the screen being too bright. To prevent themselves from drawing too much power they lower contrast if the average picture level is too high. It makes your gamma look quite peculiar. When I first started calibrating my kuro I used getgray, and its windows are large enough to cause trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/18163596


Try 10-pt grayscale readings and HDMI if you have it.

I am currently using Digital Video Essentials DVD which only has 4 point grayscale. Can you recommend a DVD that has 10 point?


I have the Blu-ray version which does have 10 point, but obviously not much help for a DVD player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi /forum/post/18165359


Make sure your test patterns are relatively small windows. Plasmas don't like too much of the screen being too bright. To prevent themselves from drawing too much power they lower contrast if the average picture level is too high. It makes your gamma look quite peculiar. When I first started calibrating my kuro I used getgray, and its windows are large enough to cause trouble.

Thanks, the annoying thing is using the blu-ray version of Digital Video Essentials I have got a great picture on the Blu-ray and HD TV PVR.


I am using the Digital Video Essentials which has the patterns you mention and was hoping it would be straight forward ... sadly not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
For the blu-ray player I recommend the avs hd 709 disc you'll see mentioned in other thread in this forum. I don't know of a great source for DVDs. One thing I played with is the test patterns you can download from the HCFR folks, but they're PAL format and I don't know how that might impact their usability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi /forum/post/18167467


For the blu-ray player I recommend the avs hd 709 disc you'll see mentioned in other thread in this forum. I don't know of a great source for DVDs. One thing I played with is the test patterns you can download from the HCFR folks, but they're PAL format and I don't know how that might impact their usability.

That won't work with DVD players. The GetGray Disc is about $25 and is one of the best calibration DVDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/18169328


That won't work with DVD players. The GetGray Disc is about $25 and is one of the best calibration DVDs.

Except that, as I said just previously, getgray's windows are large enough that they cause a problem with some plasma's average picture level limits.


I see the OP is asking this same question on the controlcal forum. Read my thread there: Got to admit I'm totally confused
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top