AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can explain the strange HD reception problem I am having with the OTA tuner in my Dish 6000 system. When I tune in to my local ABC OTA digital station to watch a HD program, the signal locks in at about 85-90% and starts out looking fine. Usually within 10 minutes or so, the picture becomes corrupt, with large, blocky pixels and then freezes. The audio is still there, however. The strange thing is that if I change channels and return to ABC, a normal picture returns for a few minutes and then corrupts and freezes again.

This is the only OTA HD channel available to me, so I can't compare to another station. I don't have any problem with the HD channels from the dish, which look gorgeous on my Fujitsu plasma. Any ideas as to what is causing this and what the fix is? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It may be the transmitted signal. I have a 6000 with an 8VSB OTA tuner also.

Normally I get the local ABC station fine but ocasionally the picture goes away and only the sound is there. However when you tune away from the station you get a 1/4 second flash of the video. This has happened twice and it stays for a day or so. Other people in the L.A. area report the phenomenon whenever I do. It occurred for 4 days ending a day before the Acadamy Awards (lots of worry here then) and it occurred for one day a week ago.

Rick R

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I was hoping that it wasn't a tuner problem. The thing that puzzles me, though, is the fact that the picture clears up when the channel is changed back and forth. I don't understand how that fits with a transmission problem. Is it possible that a temporary drop in the broadcast signal causes the tuner to lose the lock and then changing the channel allows it to be re-acquired? I don't know enough about digital tuners to know if this is even plausible.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Another problem I have observed when the incoming signal is rather week. The picture and sound are normally fine. There a few breakups that last for a second or two. However sometimes instead of a breakup the picture goes bad in that the picture is all smeared and you can see that the motion estimators are moving the wrong parts of the picture. This is cleared up by going to another channel and then returning. It sometimes clears itself up but it can take 10 minutes or more.

This problem was solved by improving my reception. I assumed that part of the incoming signal was missing causing the MPEG decoder to get confused. It seems to me that the problem should have cleared itself up when a scene change resulted in a new entire picture. But it didn't.

Rick R

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.