AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one that may someday save someone from several hours of frustrating troubleshooting ....

I recently added a Cambridge Soundworks Newton P500 subwoofer to my home theater system (although this issue probably applies to the Newton P1000 as well). Those of you familiar with this subwoofer know that it uses an outboard control module to set its parameters, including an IR remote to vary the subwoofer level (volume).

After carefully calibrating my system using Avia and other test signals, I put the Newton's remote away and settled back for some good surround sound. A few days later I noticed the bass seemed lacking and discovered that the someone (or something) had lowered the subwoofer level control to "0". I immediately blamed the kids, of course. They swore that they didn't do it.

So, I pulled out my calibration DVD and again reset the subwoofer level. A few days later I again noticed that control at "0". So now it was time for some serious troubleshooting!

To make a long story short, it turns out that the "TV Off" command from my remote controls (in this case for a Sony KV-40XBR800, but probably applies to many other Sony TVs as well) was being interpreted by the Newton control module as a "Volume Down" command! Every time anyone turned off the TV the subwoofer level was slowly ratcheting lower and lower. Now I've moved the control module behind the rest of my equipment and put a piece of tape over its IR sensor so that the level will stay where I want it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Wow,

I had the same problem and I couldn't figure it out. I have a Sony Wega tv also Sony 5ES receiver. I know the sub kept going down but could see why. I was guessing the other remotes but was tryng all the other buttons. Cambridge just told me to cover the IR sensor like you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.