AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I would 'lose' stereo but what do you guys think of having 5 speakers in a zone. I have a breakfast nook area that is not large enough to justify 2 speakers but is to far away to get much sound.

Also,

Do you think a GC can handle 5 speakers in one zone without external amplification? This would be the only zone I would want to do it in.

Thanks,

Lee

·
Registered
434 Posts
You could always put a dual-voicecoil speaker in the breakfast nook, essentially giving you 3 pairs of speakers, and 'save' the stereo. Or use 5 and use RCA Y cables to combine your line-level zone L/R output into one signal, and have all 5 speakers play the same.

Can you post a link to this "GC" please? What is it? Does it have minimum impedance requirements? What are the impedance specs for the speakers you plan on using? Will there be in-line volume controls?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea on the dual voice coil.

The GC is Nuvo Grant Cencerto. The speakers on Mirage Omnican. 8 ohm

The GC puts our 80 watts/zone (40 per channel)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I second the DVC speaker idea. When I design a kitchen space I usually just spec a DVC for the kitchen and one for the inevitable "breakfast nook", unless it's a big'n in Bel Air or BevHills. Rarely will you need to separate the areas.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts