AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Acer Ferrari 1000 laptop running Ubuntu 6.10.

I've managed to configure just about every available codec under the sun, and have had no problem playing back avi, mpg, wmv, and even commercial DVDs. So, all that is fine and well and good.

I connected my laptop's VGA out to my BENQ PB8230 projector, and I was able to display my computer's desktop on the projector, while also simultaneously using the laptop display. So, no problem there either.

But, when I go to play any content, avi, mpg, etc, via totem or mplayer, I see the player window come up on the laptop display, and on the projector. But, the window where the video is to be viewed, is a blank black box on the projected image, even though I can see the movie playing in the player's window on my laptop.

How can the video image display on the laptop's display, but NOT on the projected image??

Help!

AdvThanksance,

-Mark

PS If I point my web browser to a site like YouTube, any video that plays there is visible on both the laptop display and the projected image. So, clearly, not all video playback is created equal, but I'm not quite sure what's going on here....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Try swapping the display over so that it's only the projector ..

Ive had this issue a few times ... there are different layers of video and the way they out put (i'll save you the boring details) ... and certain layers are only available on your primary display and such ..

Try switching so it's on the projector (usually function button + a function key)

Good luck !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobak /forum/post/0

I have an Acer Ferrari 1000 laptop running Ubuntu 6.10.

I've managed to configure just about every available codec under the sun, and have had no problem playing back avi, mpg, wmv, and even commercial DVDs. So, all that is fine and well and good.

I connected my laptop's VGA out to my BENQ PB8230 projector, and I was able to display my computer's desktop on the projector, while also simultaneously using the laptop display. So, no problem there either.

But, when I go to play any content, avi, mpg, etc, via totem or mplayer, I see the player window come up on the laptop display, and on the projector. But, the window where the video is to be viewed, is a blank black box on the projected image, even though I can see the movie playing in the player's window on my laptop.

How can the video image display on the laptop's display, but NOT on the projected image??

Help!

AdvThanksance,

-Mark

PS If I point my web browser to a site like YouTube, any video that plays there is visible on both the laptop display and the projected image. So, clearly, not all video playback is created equal, but I'm not quite sure what's going on here....

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think it has to do with the video overlay. It can only be used on one output at a time and something like youtube doesn't use it. You can configure most video players to use software processing, but it's more cpu intensive. Try messing with the settings in totem and mplayer and look for x11 or shm (and not xvideo).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Using x11 instead of xvideo w/ mplayer did the trick!

It's still not perfect, but at least this got me started. I can try tweaking a bit, see if I can clean things up a bit!

Thanks again!

-Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.