AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from a first time poster. One week ago, I received my new 34HF85, and the same day, I got a new Motorola DCT6200 HD cable box from Motorola. Here's my problem.

When I watch the TV taking input from the coax, the picture is 4:3 and I can apply the various stretch modes and it works fine. However, when I use the component inputs, on the top maybe 1/10 of the screen, if the brightness is up more than 45% and less than 85%, I get a purplish hue where there should be black. It does not happen when the box is not plugged in to the inputs, but does happen if the box is plugged in and turned off, and happens with either set of component inputs. A bad (blurry) picture of the distortion can be found on the web as file name Distortion with a jpg extension on the domain commsoft with the extension com (sorry, the board won't let me post a real URL or anything resembling one or even a component of one as a new poster - ostensibly to prevent spam, I couldn't even include a domain name by itself in my post...).

It also sometimes appears that when there is an active black signal being sent for that portion of the screen, the distortion will not appear (for example, when viewing a 4:3 picture in HD mode with black bars on the side, coming from the cable box - I will almost always get it on the top of the black bars but sometimes it seems I'm not getting it in the middle part of the screen where there's actually a picture).

The cable box is always set for a 1080i signal over the component outs, which is fine, but it has other issues (freezes up sometimes for up to a minute or more and won't change channels or display the guide, etc.), and sometimes this effect seems to vary a lot or even disappear, but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea whether the color distortion thing is the TV or the box?

I'm going to buy a DVI-D to HDMI cable today (the cable box only has DVI-D), but if people think this problem is something wrong with the TV (certainly a problem with either the TV or the box, since I can't use the normal brightness range I'd prefer), or have a good way to find out for sure, I'd love to know... Thanks!

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsoft
Greetings from a first time poster. One week ago, I received my new 34HF85, and the same day, I got a new Motorola DCT6200 HD cable box from Motorola. Here's my problem.

When I watch the TV taking input from the coax, the picture is 4:3 and I can apply the various stretch modes and it works fine. However, when I use the component inputs, on the top maybe 1/10 of the screen, if the brightness is up more than 45% and less than 85%, I get a purplish hue where there should be black. It does not happen when the box is not plugged in to the inputs, but does happen if the box is plugged in and turned off, and happens with either set of component inputs. A bad (blurry) picture of the distortion can be found on the web as file name Distortion with a jpg extension on the domain commsoft with the extension com (sorry, the board won't let me post a real URL or anything resembling one or even a component of one as a new poster - ostensibly to prevent spam, I couldn't even include a domain name by itself in my post...).

It also sometimes appears that when there is an active black signal being sent for that portion of the screen, the distortion will not appear (for example, when viewing a 4:3 picture in HD mode with black bars on the side, coming from the cable box - I will almost always get it on the top of the black bars but sometimes it seems I'm not getting it in the middle part of the screen where there's actually a picture).

The cable box is always set for a 1080i signal over the component outs, which is fine, but it has other issues (freezes up sometimes for up to a minute or more and won't change channels or display the guide, etc.), and sometimes this effect seems to vary a lot or even disappear, but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea whether the color distortion thing is the TV or the box?

I'm going to buy a DVI-D to HDMI cable today (the cable box only has DVI-D), but if people think this problem is something wrong with the TV (certainly a problem with either the TV or the box, since I can't use the normal brightness range I'd prefer), or have a good way to find out for sure, I'd love to know... Thanks!
Oh no, I do hope that you are not the first person here to have a problem with the Toshiba 34HF85. I already recommended this model to one of the AVS members here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I have an odd new data point - when I switch the cable box to 720p output, which the TV then upconverts to 1080i for display, I do not get the distortion, not at all, whether the cable box is on or off. When I switch it back to 1080i output, on the same channel, or the same blank screen (e.g., even if the cable box is off), I get the distortion. What's odd is that the last scan mode of the cable box matters even when the box is turned off, and it only happens on the inputs the box is plugged in to (I've tried swapping since the TV has two sets of component inputs, and if it's unplugged altogether, I don't get the problem on either set)...

Any further ideas from this? (Could something be wrong with the component ins of the TV causing it to distort in this way only when the incoming signal is 1080i? It seems unlikely to be a tube problem since the 720p signal is being upconverted for display as 1080i anyway... or am I wrong?)

BTW, Walt, I have not checked it against a DVD player, as I don't own one. (I haven't rented movies since the 90s, and I have a Tivo, so yes, I'm the one freak you know who has an HD set and no DVD player...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.