AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an ancient showstopper that I'm pretty sure was a demo unit. I plugged it in, booted it up, and went through the Quicksetup. Put in the phonenumber and zipcode, but when it gets to the screen where it tries to dial, it immediately pops up with the message "Unexpected result code. (c2000004)" It doesnt even try to dial the phone. Using 411-zones I get the following info:

ReplayTV- Sutter SAA7201 Release -Sutter-Build-1.78(7-27-99)

Version 1.78 built on Jul 27 1999 at 11:42:08

ROM 511-release-FPGA 3.2 - Scenix Version 1.9-release

Unit serial number is missing

PCB serial number is missing

Disk 0: QUANTUM FIREBALL EX10.2A [serial number]

Disk 1: Not available.

Modem V2.200F9-V34_ACF_DS1 RCV336DPFSP Rev 44Bc

Modem Statistics

... then a whole mess of modem information

Notice that it says that the serial and PCB number information is missing. Everything I've read says that there really should be a serial number there. Could that maybe be the problem? I know it will record TV because one time I got it to record live television by selecting the channel I wanted to watch, which resulted in a black screen. Then I forced it to reboot and picked the same channel again, and as long as I didnt change the channel, I could pause, rewind, record, etc. So I know it sorta works.. I just cant get to connect ever. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I'm pretty sure it has old software that can't ever connect.

You have three choices, you can send the unit to Panasonic for a software upgrade. It will take them several weeks to get it back to you.

You can upgrade the software yourself (or have someone else do it for you) which will void the warrantee. It will involve pulling the hard drive and patching it. For details do a forum search on Mikeyboy.

You can return it and get your money back.

At this juncture--if it is a new unit you purchased from a store--I would send it to Panasonic to get fixed. If it is a 2nd hand unit, I would either upgrade it myself or have somebody do it for me (and in the process put a big ass HD into it).

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M Moogle
I recently got an ancient showstopper that I'm pretty sure was a demo unit. I plugged it in, booted it up, and went through the Quicksetup. Put in the phonenumber and zipcode, but when it gets to the screen where it tries to dial, it immediately pops up with the message "Unexpected result code. (c2000004)" It doesnt even try to dial the phone. Using 411-zones I get the following info:

ReplayTV- Sutter SAA7201 Release -Sutter-Build-1.78(7-27-99)

Version 1.78 built on Jul 27 1999 at 11:42:08

ROM 511-release-FPGA 3.2 - Scenix Version 1.9-release

Unit serial number is missing

PCB serial number is missing

Disk 0: QUANTUM FIREBALL EX10.2A [serial number]

Disk 1: Not available.

Modem V2.200F9-V34_ACF_DS1 RCV336DPFSP Rev 44Bc

Modem Statistics

... then a whole mess of modem information

Notice that it says that the serial and PCB number information is missing. Everything I've read says that there really should be a serial number there. Could that maybe be the problem? I know it will record TV because one time I got it to record live television by selecting the channel I wanted to watch, which resulted in a black screen. Then I forced it to reboot and picked the same channel again, and as long as I didnt change the channel, I could pause, rewind, record, etc. So I know it sorta works.. I just cant get to connect ever. Any suggestions?
Are you sure this a Showstopper? The software version 1.78 and 33.6 modem is that of a 10 hour replay 2002/2003. If this is a Showstopper it's the earliest release I've ever heard of.

To get the modem to function you will need to replace the disk image with a replay 2000 disk image (links to disk images are in my signature block). If the connection still errors the motherboard EPROM will require reprogramming which I can do for a fee. Does the motherboard look exactly like this one http://web.archive.org/web/200010181...layinards.html with chip 13 (eprom) socketed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
Are you sure this a Showstopper? The software version 1.78 and 33.6 modem is that of a 10 hour replay 2002/2003. If this is a Showstopper it's the earliest release I've ever heard of.

To get the modem to function you will need to replace the disk image with a replay 2000 disk image (links to disk images are in my signature block). If the connection still errors the motherboard EPROM will require reprogramming which I can do for a fee. Does the motherboard look exactly like this one http://web.archive.org/web/200010181...layinards.html with chip 13 (eprom) socketed?
Well, its definately a Panasonic model. Its a "VIDEO HOME SERVER PV-HS1000". I guess I thought that all Panasonics were Showstoppers. It does have the EPROM in a socket. I tried a disk image last night for a Showstopper, but it refused to boot. It just sat there and never did anything, even after letting it sit for about 5 minutes. I'll try a 2000 disk image and see if that works.

EDIT: It also has firewire ports on it, if that matters.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M Moogle
It also has firewire ports on it, if that matters.
Wow! that would make it a "rare bird" indeed. Sounds like an early attempt at re-branding. It probably needs a firmware update before it'll accept later software.

The ball is in Mikeyboy's court now.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Wow pretty cool. It's an early replay 2000 model packaged for panasonic. BaysideBas is right it may not even boot with 2000 software due to eprom programming changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
Wow pretty cool. It's an early replay 2000 model packaged for panasonic. BaysideBas is right it may not even boot with 2000 software due to eprom programming changes.
Yep, it wont boot with a 20xx image either. It does the same thing as with the Showstopper image. It seems to read from the HD for about 1/2 a second and then it just sits there and doesnt do anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
IMO, Panasonic should cover this. The unit is supposed to have lifetime service. Panansonic should not be able to claim the warranty is out when it was their doing that caused the unit to stop working. Ofcourse, they probably will and the consumer will be SOL.

Ofcourse, since you recently bought it, just take it back to the store.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kcobra
IMO, Panasonic should cover this. The unit is supposed to have lifetime service. Panansonic should not be able to claim the warranty is out when it was their doing that caused the unit to stop working. Ofcourse, they probably will and the consumer will be SOL.

Ofcourse, since you recently bought it, just take it back to the store.
Looks like he opened the unit. That voids the warrantee.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, this thing was ancient anyways, and it wasnt new when I got it, so there wasnt really any chance of getting a warranty on it anyways. I ended up getting a replacement eprom for it. Hopefully it'll work!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
It's alive! Replaced the eprom with a reprogrammed one and his recorder is up and running like new!!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Didn't doubt it for a moment. Congrats on a job well done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.