AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a strange question, I know. I did look in other forums and tried searching, but coming up blank I must ask here.

The situation is that I'm not sure I want to get a digital cable box (since I don't really trust my cable company to not mess things up with compression, and we have no interest at all in HBO, Showtime, etc.).

This means that there's a good chance I'll be using the VCR as an analog cable tuner for the Panasonic 42" ED display.

We have a very nice Hitachi VCR now (it's been great), but it only has composite outputs. Due to the fact that the Panasonic has limited inputs, and shares the composite inputs with the component inputs, and due to the fact that I have a Meridian 561 that I use an a good S-video switch, I think I need to get a VCR with S-video output.

Beside that, our Hitachi VCR is 4 - 5 years old, and even though we don't care a lot about recording, we actually do care about watching tapes for a long time. We have a large collection of VHS "Fansubs" (foreign programming that's never been licensed in the USA), which we'd like to keep watching for a few more years. So it's probably time to replace the Hitachi anyway.

What VCR would you recommend as a good analog tuner and VHS playback device for sending an S-video signal to the 42" Panny ED?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I have a pioneer 433cmx and found when i played back my old edited tapes they were jittery and impossible to watch on my plasma.I ended up buying a JVC 9911u s-vhs player that was expensive but had a time base control that stopped the jitters and gave as good a picture as a VHS tape can on a plasma.

i found that my picture looked better when I used the composite connection rather than going through the s-video cable to the plasma which is almost always the case.I highly recommend the JVC however without a composite input you may be stuck with the s-vhs connection

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The Pansonic plasma shares the composite with the s-video input, the component input is separate. Use the composite connection, not the s-video, since the comb filter in the plasma is an advanced model and will be superior to any VCRs. Don't use s-video from a VCR or cable box, because the signal is originally in composite NTSC form anyway!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I agree with both posters about the composite over s-video. I have the lower model JVC, 5911U, and have found it to be pretty decent. Donberg's also correct about the inputs.

Is your foreign material copy protected? If not, I would seriously consider a DVD recorder as an option also. The tuner will be as good as can be expected, and you could also use it to move that programming to DVD. The Panasonic e80 writes DVD-RAM and DVD-R, and has a built-in 80 GB HDD. It also supports recording with simultaneous playback meaning you can watch anything already recorded (or a DVD disk) while the unit is recording. As any TIVO owner will attest, it's a LOT better watching TV at your convenience rather than live - I can never go back. For perhaps double the cost or a little more (MSRP of 800) the advantages of such a unit over the high-end SVHS are enormous and well worth considering IMHO. I only speak from experience in being extremely pleased with my HS2, a 40GB version of the upcomming e80.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did mis-speak about which inputs were shared, but the consistent reports that people are providing here about the advantages of using component outputs from the VCR, instead of S-video, are new and interesting.

Is there a VCR with COMPONENT outputs that you recommend for this purpose?

(BTW, our Fansubs (all Japanese) are not copy-protected; but we have a couple of hundred of them. I just don't think I could cope with copying them all to DVD....).

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
You are mixing up terms. Component is a 3 cable connection (Y-Pb-Pr) that is used with DVD players and HDTV STBs. Composite is the one-cable RCA connection for use with VCRs. Most VCRs have a composite output that is all that is required, none have component outputs. SVHS VCRs also have s-video outputs, but they are not as good with a plasma display - always use the composite output.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shadowspawn
I did mis-speak about which inputs were shared, but the consistent reports that people are providing here about the advantages of using component outputs from the VCR, instead of S-video, are new and interesting.

Is there a VCR with COMPONENT outputs that you recommend for this purpose?

(BTW, our Fansubs (all Japanese) are not copy-protected; but we have a couple of hundred of them. I just don't think I could cope with copying them all to DVD....).
Ahhh, the progressive scan VCR player. I think we are on to something here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.