AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Our den is 20' x 11'. We're currently using a 36" tube tv but at 20' I find the image a bit small. We're getting ready to upgrade. I've been doing some research and getting more depressed by the minute. From what I've read the new TV needs to be at least 120". That is not in the budget!

The room, like I said, is 20 long and 11 wide. One end has a LARGE plate glass window with a couch in front. If you're sitting on the couch the wall to your right runs 10', then there is a 10' opening onto the dining room. The left wall has two 3' tall x 6' wide windows. The windows have wooden hanging blinds and decorative curtains. Lots of natural light... the wall opposite the couch is blank. That's where the TV is going. Floorrs are laminate. 

On the plus side I already own a pair of boston acoustic VR3 tower speakers. My receiver died in a power surge :) so that's part of the project. 

Due to some water damage (and age) I'm getting ready to replace a good portion of the ceiling so running cables won't be an issue! That project is going to happen first so I need to figure out cabling before hanging sheetrock but before making purchases.

SO... questions.... how big do I really need to go on the TV? Will 60" work? What kind of tv? plasma? LED? Projection is again probably more than I can budget right now. 

Since I'm doing sheetrock work should I tear out the wall behind the tv and insulate it? Is there an advantage to doing that? I need to at least fish cables but I thought of putting in some conduit for wiring. 

Do I move the speakers next to the couch? Or do I pick up some satellite speakers and leave the towers in front? 

I planned on scrimping on the receiver for now and putting the budget towards the tv (not to mention the renovation budget!). Any reason not to pick up a low end 2 channel receiver for this project for now? 

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
A diagram or drawing of the space would probably help. Pictures, too

Also, what is your budget? You might be surprised what a budget projector and a DIY screen (or even painted on screen) would cost you. I know my last really nice TV didn't cost that much less than my PJ did. (And I required a pretty fancy screen.
) Though it sounds like when you say "lots of natural light" it kinda rules out a PJ. Especially with it being more of a living area rather than a dedicated (or semi-dedicated) space.

Screen size is kinda a personal preference. How far away from it are you? I have a 46" set in my living room about 14' feet back. And I have a 110" screen in my theater about 13' back.

Good luck! There's a lot of good info on this site

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'll try to post some pics and diagrams tomorrow...

Budget is still under discussion. I guess it depends on what the renovation job costs. Also depends on who wins the budget fight. We walked into bestbuy last week and my wife pointed out a 40" TV for around $600... Wait and see. 

Distance from the screen is right under 20' right now, with a 36" Sony trinitron (We flooded for Katrina and it was the best TV we could find on short notice at a reasonable price....). 

I am seriously considering rotating the room to cut the distance but that leaves half the room unused, plus natural light coming in towards the tv. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts