AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:eek: Strange questions. I'm trying to help a neighbor with meger funds who has recently purchased three used bookshelf and one center channel speakers plus an old 5.1 AVR from a pawn shop. All are "white van" quality Chinese.

UPDATE: I am going to encourage the neighbor to return or sale back the pawn shop speakers and go buy an affordable soundbar w/subwoofer.

1. Can one speaker be used for both R&L Surrounds?

2. Can a Center Channel be used as a makeshift subwoofer?

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
Your AVR probably provides for a rear center channel. You'll need to check your manual. :eek: Or ask here in the appropriate thread.
"Satisfactory" is in the ear of the beholder. It would probably be better than nothing.
Unlikely, unless the center is designed for those frequencies (some DIY designs can probably handle it, but they are few and far between).

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. No manual for the light weight receiver and believe it has only basic functions. Plastic & cheap describe this gear.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: I am going to encourage the neighbor to return or sale back the pawn shop speakers and go buy an affordable soundbar w/subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll pass along your recommendation but pretty sure they will go to Wally World since that is where they bought their Sceptre 50" HDTV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts