AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I see dead people, but then, by God, I do something about it".

Odd Thomas? Perhaps like me this one snuck under your radar.

Based on the 2003 novel written by Dean Koontz, it is the first of 5 sequels and 2 graphic novels. It is a mystery/thriller with a heavy dose of supernatural, it's a Koontz novel after all.

The 93 minute movie stars Anton Yelchin and Willem Dafoe. It was directed by Stephen (The Mummy) Sommers and filmed in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

The film suffered from production/distribution problems and bombed at the box office. The movie was lambasted by critics and although it has its fair share of flaws it's not as bad as the reviews would have you believe unless you have a dislike for this genre. The CGI and pacing in the movie are a little rough in spots and the movie sometimes has the looks of something filmed for TV. Perhaps it's that I like Yelchin and Dafoe as actors that I cut this movie some slack. My wife and I watched a rental last night and we found it entertaining enough. 7/10.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
This looks like something I'd enjoy. Have it in my rental queue. Sadly, Netfllix only has it on DVD. Not BD.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
I have it in my queue as a "Long Wait."

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Just checked my queue and it says "no wait." But it's a DVD. I bumped it to the top. We'll let the Oppo work it's magic on it.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Watched this tonight. Gotta say, I really quite enjoyed it. Never read the book, but I thought they did a good job bringing out the quirkiness. And Addison Timlin is smokin' hot. That's always a bonus.

For some reason Netflix only has the DVD. Which was darn good, thank you Oppo. I can only imagine how much better this will be on blu. The AQ in hi-rez DTS-HD MA lossless should be worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I did not read the book but found the script/dialog humorous. It was good old fashion entertainment for about 90 minutes short. There is a nice twist at the end.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman  /t/1525962/odd-thomas-2013#post_24626493

Watched this tonight. Gotta say, I really quite enjoyed it. Never read the book, but I thought they did a good job bringing out the quirkiness. And Addison Timlin is smokin' hot. That's always a bonus.

For some reason Netflix only has the DVD. Which was darn good, thank you Oppo. I can only imagine how much better this will be on blu.

Netflix does have it streaming in 1080p HD and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Watched tonite and really had a good time with it.

This is the perfect film to introduce a sensitive teen to the horror genre.

It's a damn shame it didn't do better business (and the "critics" are morons BTW).

If I have any real criticism it's the somewhat inconsistent acting from the lead girl (Stormy).

And them Bodachs sure were creepy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodach

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Steaming on Netfilx. Never knew anything about it but I really enjoyed it. Wife read the books , saw I was watching it and got jealous, so will have to watch it again

·
Registered
85 Posts

Not to be a wet blanket, but I thought it was corny.

But since I streamed it via Netflix, it's all good.

Worth watching though!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812  /t/1525962/odd-thomas-2013#post_24775493

Not to be a wet blanket, but I thought it was corny.

But since I streamed it via Netflix, it's all good.

Worth watching though!

Wait...corny is bad?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I liked it. I agree with Mr. G that the pacing is rough. The relationship between Yelchin and Dafoe was not particularly convincing to me, it just seemed odd (ha!).

v/r,

C-F

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts

For some reason Netflix only has the DVD. Which was darn good, thank you Oppo. I can only imagine how much better this will be on blu. The AQ in hi-rez DTS-HD MA lossless should be worth the price of admission.
Our video store is closing and picked this up for $2 on Blu ray. Read the books so I will be looking forward in cranking this up.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Our video store is closing and picked this up for $2 on Blu ray. Read the books so I will be looking forward in cranking this up.
Great deal score, Franin. Just make sure you save $2 for your paperboy.;)

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Man I haven't seen that film for ages. That's when John Cusack was quite popular. He had another film if I remember called better off dead( could be the same one it's been awhile )

Frank
That clip is from Better Off Dead. Classic 80's goodness right there.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Watched this tonight, I actually enjoyed it. The ending spun me out I didn't expect it. For $2 I couldn't go wrong :)

Frank

1 - 20 of 36 Posts