AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating the purchase of a couple (or suite) of Odyssey Audio monoblock amplifiers, especially with the recent announcement of the upgrade for this amp. For those who have heard this amp, what do you think of it? Is it worth investing a good deal of money into them? And are they worth having around for a long time to come? Considering these amplifiers are of a tremendous value compared to other options ($8,900 for seven UPGRADED monos VS. something like the BAT VK-6200 @ $10,000 for six channels), they seem mighty tasty. I've really, really been wanting to beef up my home theater (& music) system for many months, and so I would like opinions on whether the Odyssey monoblocks are worth my dollar.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think they are very much worth every penny.

That being said, why don't you just buy a pair of them and see if you like them. If you do, buy the rest, if not you can return them under their return policy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jason,

I'm afraid I'm one of those sticks in the mud who believes in the theory of an "unbalanced" Home Theater system.

The (usual) function of rear speakers is to produce localized "effects" for movies (wind/rain, explosions/gunfire, animals in a forest, etc). If the quality of sound (from your rear speakers) is not absolutely true to the source, what is the ramification? Very little, if anything.

I mean if the movie is depicting someone mowing the grass behind you, and that person is using a Honda lawnmower, but my "inaccurate rear amp" causes it to sound like a Lawn-Boy, I mean who's going to care??!?? If someone is firing an American made machine gun, but my "underpriced rear amp" is causing it to sound Russian made, I know I'm not going to notice. I'm just enjoying the movie. Remember, we're talking effects here, not the nuances of a flute solo.

As long as the amp and speakers match up, and they are capable of playing at a decent volume without breaking up, I feel certain few will notice the difference. And my opinion is that you can get well above this minimum level of performance (for rear speakers) for less than $1,500 for a multi-channel amp.

My advice is ALWAYS to spend the main bulk of your HT cash on 2-channel playback (which will also serve as the main speakers in your HT). The next largest percentage is for Subwoofer and Center (if you use them). And finally for pre/pro/receiver and surrounds.

So, if someone has $9,000 to spend on amps, my advice is to spend $4,500 on stereo monoblocks, $3,000 on stereo preamp, and $1,500 on a 7.1 Receiver (with pre-outs).

The same goes for $9,000 worth of speakers: $6,500 for stereo mains, $750 for Center, $750 for subwoofer, and $1,000 for 4 surrounds.

The exception to this is the person who hates music - will never own a CD - and would execute anyone who ever tried to play music through their HT system. For everyone else, my system allows excellent HT reproduction (maybe not quite as good as a "balanced system" in every possible application). But it allows for an "Oh my God" type of 2-channel music reproduction when that mood strikes.

I know this is not the normal opinion espoused on these types of sites, but you asked for input... and I feel very strongly in this approach to Home Theater setup.

Kevin

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a pair of the regular Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks, a HT3 and a pair of the Upgraded Monoblocks on the way. These amps are here for a long, long time and I can't wait to see what the Upgraded Mono's sound like.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I agree with Kevin about getting the highest quaity for the front 2 channels but with one caveat.

The center channel provides most of the important information in 5.1 playback. Not just dialog but what is happening immediately around the charcters on the screen is all coming from that channel. Don't skimp on the speaker or the amp.

For myself, I got a Stratos Dual mono for the L/R, an upgraded Mono for the center, and am using my old Denon 3300 for the 4 rears. I do plan on getting a dedicated multichannel amp for the surrounds but it will just be a solid 5 channel, nothing special.

My advice, if you want to get totally tricked out, would be for 3 upgraded mono's for the front and then use something basic and solid for the rears. Klaus may be coming out with something less expensive than the Stratos to power the rears so you can keep it all in the family, if you want. The whole set up should come in under $4K

Please keep in mind that there is no "right amp". It will totally depend on your speakers as to what will work best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.