AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say there's a well known speaker manufacturer who uses very good drivers and crossovers but their cabinets in certain lines are a compromise in order to fit a certain price point. Say i'm able to obtain the drivers and crossovers. If I build my own cabinets using a thicker baffle and more bracing while maintaining the original cabinet internal dimensions will the new version sound the same only better due to less reverberation and distortion? If I change the shape of the cabinet but maintain the same volume would the same apply? If I change them from ported to sealed would the same apply or would changes need to be made? I am new to this type of thing so knowledgeable input is appreciated.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes, a better, less resonant, cabinet should sound better but the improvement will be subtle. Don't expect night and day improvement.

Changing the baffle width or driver spacing can/will affect response. Leave the same?

Changing to sealed (and smaller cab?).....no impact on crossover so that is a bonus. Need to do some modelling to see what happens below ~150 Hz or so. Pretty safe to say you will get less bass response converting from ported to sealed....probably no big deal if you have a subwoofer to cover it. Got to do some modelling to get a real answer since it is driver dependent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts