AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning folks,

I came across this website www.projectorquest.com and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

I am replacing the bulb in my Optoma HD70 and I am well aware of the Japanese/Chinese alternatives from sites like apexlamps.com... these knock-offs usually go for anywhere from $122-$140. OEM lamps generally go for around $280 or more.

However, seeing here , on this site there is only a $10 difference between the OEM and the Genuine Compatible... its almost a bit too good to be true.

I called and spoke with a guy named Kirk in the Sales Dept and he informed me that they are GSA Contracted and do alot of business with schools. He also said that they have a great relationship with their vendor and this is why they are able to pass this savings on to their customer....

Sounds like a really good deal... but wanted to consult with you guys before I pull the trigger.

NOTE: Bulb also comes with free 6 month warranty

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I just picked up one for $244 from Amazon, heard to many horror stories about knock offs so I stuck with OEM. I would be interested to hear your experience if you choose to pick one up!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhahlen /forum/post/20880193

I just picked up one for $244 from Amazon, heard to many horror stories about knock offs so I stuck with OEM. I would be interested to hear your experience if you choose to pick one up!

I am certainly leaning towards going with these guys as their website seems legit, for all intents and purposes and the guy on the phone seemed quite knowledgeable about the differences between OEM and Genuine Compatible.

My suspicions however, are largely due to the low price for OEM... it really bewilders me.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Tattootearz, I sent you a pm.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am curious about these guys as well. Let us know if you do choose to go with them.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 /forum/post/20888176

I am curious about these guys as well. Let us know if you do choose to go with them.

Going to order one tonight... will report back with info order processing, shipping speed, overall customer service and Lamp quality.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz
Going to order one tonight... will report back with info order processing, shipping speed, overall customer service and Lamp quality.

Stay tuned!
I'd be interested in your results after ~500 hours. It sounds like you've done your homework and know there is a difference between an OEM and 100% compatible/OEM replacement.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update...

Placed the order on Wed nigh at approx. 11:30pm.... Standard shipping was free using USPS or UPS... I chose USPS. (I hate UPS)

Within 15 minutes of placing the order I received email confirmations that my order was being processed and that my card had been charged.

At approx. 11:30am Thursday morning, I received confirmation that my lamp had been shipped and the tracking # was provided. Tried tracking package this morning via usps.com and all is well so far.... says package is on schedule...

So far, so very good....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ordered an "OEM" lamp from ProjectorQuest for my HC 4900 - arrived tonight: "MADE IN CHINA" on definite Chinese box. No Mitsu pamphlet inside either, just the bulb/housing in a ziplock bag.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz /forum/post/20957745

Update...

Placed the order on Wed nigh at approx. 11:30pm.... Standard shipping was free using USPS or UPS... I chose USPS. (I hate UPS)

Within 15 minutes of placing the order I received email confirmations that my order was being processed and that my card had been charged.

At approx. 11:30am Thursday morning, I received confirmation that my lamp had been shipped and the tracking # was provided. Tried tracking package this morning via usps.com and all is well so far.... says package is on schedule...

So far, so very good....

UPDATE...

Ok, so I didnt abandon this thread.... turns out that when I finally went into my projector to change the Bulb out, I realize that my problems was not a blown bulb... it was a shattered color wheel instead.

Eitherway, I fixed the color wheel so on to the what this thread is about.... The Bulb...

I received the Bulb in a blue box.... it was packaged very well... no Ziplock bag. However, the bulb does have a "Made In China" sticker on it.

I put it in the Projector and it's running without a hitch.... bright, as to be expected. Im gonna keep it running and keep the old one as a replacement in case this one fails...

If there is a premature failure or any other oddity, I will report it back to this thread.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am at about 600hrs with the replacement lamp and I think its safe to say that I am still very pleased with the purchase. My PJ is still very bright... In fact, I just built a new theater in my new apartment in Newark and my image is nothing short of fabulous even before calibrating for my new room conditions.

Im almost positive that I will do business with this website again. I just wanted to follow up as I'm sure many projector owners would be interested in an affordable lamp purchasing source.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.