AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one is building the projector that I want at a price I can afford so to pass the time I'm designing my own projector (hey, if Outlaw can do it so can I). Feel free to counter with your own design that could be done with today's technology...

Product: Primary TV and movie front projector.

DLP - cheaper and smaller than alternatives

1280*720 DMD+black tech - for HDTV support

RGBRGB @ 240 RPM - to minimize rainbows

180 watt lamp - for ~1500 lumen output, 2000 hour/$200

Sealed optical path - no dust

Thumper tech - to up the contrast ratio

Triangular cabinet - to send noise to the back

Two half-size fans - one pushes/one pulls to cut noise

Manual zoom/focus/lens shift - saves bucks

One trigger relay - for the screen thang

One DVI input - for sharpest picture

saves bucks/heat with no analog components

who is happy with stock scalers anyway

One expansion slot - for add on image processors/converters

Serial port - remote control, software upgrades

Place: Sold direct via the Internet.

Price: $5000.

Direct sales/fewer features cut usual $10K price in half.

Cheap enough to risk hauling around.

Promotion: Search engines and this board http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

Position: Keep It Cheap, Keep A Simple Style

P.S. I'm pontificating so don't send me your deposits, hey wait, *SEND* me your deposits so I can buy a G20 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

[This message has been edited by Red Brian (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Red,

That looks like a great unit. The triangular cabinet is especially unique. One more suggestion:

* Updatable gamma/color look-up table. This allows you (or others) to calibrate the unit for optimal performance.

Also, you should contact Alan Gouger (owner of this forum) before promoting anything commercial. Trust me...things go much smoother if you get permission first.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's purely an exercise in fantasy. First, could an opinionated group like this agree on anything? Second, is a real manufacturer making such a projector?

I like the triangle or wedge-shaped idea. Speaker makers sometimes use non-rectangular cabinets to reduce internal sound reflections. Also going with two fans means they could be half the size or run at half the RPM.

If I'm using an HTPC it seems sick and wrong to take a digital signal, convert it to analog, and then back to digital for display. Why do so few projects have DVI inputs?

I know every manufacturer makes trade-offs during design. Sadly, no one seems to make the trade-offs that I desire.

And while I'm ranting (I mean pontificating http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif . Why can Thumper significantly improve a complex electro-mechanical device? Is it that expensive to paint the interior black and pay attention to the details at the factory?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I think Thumper has most success at taking the cheaper end of the business market and making the extra couple of tweaks that help for HT...

That market segment sees low volume in the HT market (this has changed / is changing) and so the value added in doing these changes is of little interest to the manufacturers...

Doesn't mean I don't agree with you though..

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would also add:

-Metal case to assist with heat transfer/durability

-No internal speaker/amplifier

-External power supply w/ 10ft umbillical

-Standards-based remote interface

Also, I think an acceptable weight is anything under 30lbs. Size is also not terribly important. Both of these aspects apply to price: if its cheaper to not be smaller/lighter, then do it. Otherwise, smaller/lighter is great.

Kelly

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd rather have full size 1/2 speed quiet fans. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif My G1000 needs a hush box, but I've not gotten around to it yet....

How about optical keystone correction?

-=-

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.