Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read (almost) all the threads about the new MyHD, including the

(1) New feature Request , (2) Technical support thread and

(3) Does MyHD give better reception thread.

I am still uncertain of exactly the +/- of each card and specifically the

deficiencies of adtv.

A majority of users (not unanimous) say MyHD has more sensitive tuner.

Is overall picture quality significantly better?

Some users who own an adtv seem to want a MyHD. Why?

The adtv card apparently allows more pvr like features including

"pause live tv" while the hardware prevents this on MyHD.

This is a nice feature.

Are software stability, system crashes etc much better with one or the

other?

Are picture controls (hue, sat, brightness, contrast, gamma) better on one than the other?

I will be driving a dlp fp and would appreciate any overall advice. I have a fair amount of experience with htpc/dvd players, but my only experience with tuner cards is an ancient ATI AIW Pro for NTSC which required tweaking settings with every channel change.

Thanks , John

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'll take a stab at this being an ADTV owner.

ADTV downsides:

"Encrypted" files

Flakey operation - crashes XP with Radeon 6015 driver using overlay

Very little development/further advancement

I don't think hue is controllable - but I'd have to check to be sure

I don't have either of the other cards, but I would find it very difficult to believe there would be much differance in pic quality. If there is any, I'm sure someone will correct me. Also, I have read on this forum that the MyHD has a more sensitive tuner - my ADTV has a little problem with one channel, but I think this is more directional in nature.

Finally, "The adtv card apparently allows more pvr like features including

"pause live tv" while the hardware prevents this on MyHD." I have not read this and would also find it hard to believe that hardware prevents it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ramick: Thanks for the input. Cliff Watson confirmed the lack of live pause on both the MyHD and Hipix. Apparently the adtv uses an extra pci slot [edit: actually not slot, controller/irq see correction below] to achieve this and for many users,it's not worth the sacrifice. It's pretty big for me, and for some others as I have now seen.

Slight apology for bandwidth waste. After reading all the through to the end of a few more multi-hundred post threads, I see that my questions have been addressed, albeit in a rather diffuse fashion. If any other users with first hand experience wish to use this thread for an "executive summary", all comments are welcome.

John

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
John,

The accessDTV does not use an extra PCI "slot" for live pause. It uses an extra PCI controller chip that MyHD and HiPix does not have. It also uses two IRQs where the other cards use only one.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
jtv-

FWIW, IMHO, I'll chime in yet again as a owner/user of all three cards.

The Hipix is the only card that will consume 2 slots (unless you get creative with mounting the extra I/O panel or omit it) It also runs the hoter that the other cards. It has great software support from the AVS team. I view this as both a positive (It is improving) and a negative (Telemann seems to have dropped the ball)

Yes, The tuner on the MyHD is more sensitive. Too sensitive for me. It seems to be suffering more breakups than my Hipix or ADTV as I'm sitting nearly in the middle of our local DTV antenna farm. I'll try an inline attenuator as I suspect I may be getting too much signal. (my weakest signal on the HiPix and ADTV maxes out the signal strength meter on MyHD) The lower price is attractive and if the S/W support is good ... It's integration of analog and stations is nice but the analog stations are too bright. They need to allow seperate black level settings for A vs D as the analog broadcast use 7.5IRE setup, not to mention slightly different gammas and color gammut. None of the cards are addressing this issue properly.

The ADTV uses a 'encripted' file format (you can work around it) Uses two IRQ's and seems to have some stability problems for users of XP and the overlay.

As I have all three cards at work, (and 98SE at home) The card of choice at home (for me) is the ADTV. As you have noted, the PVR timeshifting feature afforded by the extra PCI-PCI bridge is THE killer feature. It's dissapointing that Itech doesn't support the card better by addressing the well known issues and feature requests. If they did, I think it could be the winner for many more people. (It kinda reminds me of ATI, killer H/W hampered by so-so SW)

PQ wise- properly adjusted (for HD) I can't really notice any differance between the three cards but this is on a 21" monitor.

Dave

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dlarsen
The ADTV uses a 'encripted' file format (you can work around it) Uses two IRQ's and seems to have some stability problems for users of XP and the overlay
I'm sure this is a basic question, but what does, "the overlay" mean?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The biggest positive of the HiPix card is the awesome support from the AVS forum members. Without their great additions to the software, the HiPix card would've only been mediocre. Sure there are some features that the other cards have, like Pause live tv, but for now, I'd say the HiPix is the best one out there.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I just want to add that the MyHD card has playback of Vob files, which means you can rip a dvd to the harddrive, and play it back to your hdtv. There has been numerous requests for this improvement to the Hipix software as well, but I am not sure if they will ever implement this.

MyHD also claim to be working on actually playing back DVD's (license negotiations) - though probably at the cost of max res of 480p for DVD playaback output (requirement from DVD consortium?)

MyHD also claim to be working on capture of NTSC (to mpeg-2 in software? They seem to be talking to Ligos). This would probably need a pretty fast machine if they do implement it though..

·
Registered
213 Posts
MyHD also supports reading/writing from/to D-VHS recorders - A big plus if you wish to archive your HDTV recordings (and have the $$$ for the D-VHS recorder).

MyHD card is also smaller and runs cooler than the other cards.

Darryl

·
Registered
848 Posts
Preview window on desktop:

ADTV & MyHD have it, but not HiPix (feature has been requested, status unknown).

-yogaman

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yogaman
Preview window on desktop:

ADTV & MyHD have it, but not HiPix (feature has been requested, status unknown).

-yogaman
I have one whenever I want it, by just switching dScaler's input to Composite instead of S-Video. The HiPix card's composite output is connected to my IOMagic tuner card's composite input. Since I'm watching all non-HD sources now through dScaler, it's always up and running.

I know, it's a workaround, but it is quick and easy, and always available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.