AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an OFA 9910 for Christmas. I put that one on my wish list because it was inexpensive and it had learning functions -- so I figured it could learn all the functions of my "off-brand" devices. Now I discover it's only got 4 learning buttons per mode, so that's not going to work. I either need to find codes for my devices, or go the JP1 route, or get a different remote.

I have two main unusual devices: a Momitsu v880N DVD player, and a NEC XG852 CRT projector. For the projector I could get by with only a few buttons (on, off, video mute, etc) and use the NEC remote for any setup operations. So I could probably get by with the learning keys for that. But I want full capabilites with the v880N, including all the important buttons like setup, zoom, audio mode, etc.

remotecentral.com has codes for the v880N but not for the 9910. I haven't called OFA yet but I really doubt they'll cover such an oddball brand. What do I do?

Thanks!

Gary

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The 9910 can only learn about 25 commands for the whole remote. But you're not limited to only 4 commands per device,and you can teach to almost any key. So you can use the whole 25 commands in one device.

But I would call, they probably have an upgrade code that they can load over the phone.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they have the Momitsu v880, but not the v880N. (The v880 had some remote code conflicts with Pioneer equipment so they remapped it for the v880N, and OFA doesn't have it.) So I'm stuck there. However the support person said you CAN learn functions for all keys, not just L1-L4, so I should be able to learn functions for the DVD player. I'll have to figure out how that works -- do I learn it on an Ln button, then keymap it to another key? Unfortunately I'd like to learn over 30 functions, including the numeric keypad, so I'll have to cut back on the full functionality.

They DID have codes for my NEC CRT projector. Unfortunately they only have a small subset of the operations, and none of the ones I wanted. Even power on/power off doesn't work! (The NEC has separate on/off codes so maybe that messes them up.) So I'll still have to learn on/off/mute/etc. Which will further limit what I can learn for the DVD player.

Maybe I do need to do the JP1 thang...

Gary

EDIT: I only have 4 devices in my HT: The Momitsu DVD player, the NEC projector, a Dish 811 HDTV receiver, and an Onkyo HT receiver. The Dish receiver uses an RF remote so no universal remote will work with it. So the Onkyo is the ONLY thing I can control with the 9910 so far. Pretty frustrating...

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received an email from OFA support (attached). She said she was sending information about using my NEC projector, which she had downloaded to my remote. I thought she was sending me a list of "this key on the remote does this function on the projector," but it appears she sent me a list of internal codes for programming the remote without using the learning functions of the remote.

I'm confused by exactly what this is doing. Is this a way for me to add functions to the "TV mode" programmed for the projector, but without using up the 25 learning slots? Or do these use the learning slots?

If they DON'T use the slots, how can you figure out these codes for a new device? Any chance I could reverse-engineer the codes for my DVD player?

Gary

====
Code:
Code:
Instructions for inputting advanced codes

1. Find the function you wish to duplicate.  The functions should be
labeled the same as they appear on the original remote control for your
device.  The 3-digit number to the left of each function is the code you
will likely use (ex. TV code 054--function code 497 is "Sleep")

2. To use the advanced functions:  tap the SET button one time, then
enter the code for the function you wish to use.  For example, on a TV
working on code 054, you would tap SET followed by 497 to activate the
"Sleep" feature.

3.  You may also program some of these functions directly onto the
universal remote control.  This feature is useful for frequently-used
functions that are not already preprogrammed on the remote.  To use this
feature, just follow the instructions below.

URC 8910/URC9910

To achieve advanced functions

1) Hold set until screen reads  "code set"
2) Arrow down eight times to "key mover"       
3) Press select, it should read "from mode"
4) Press the device key that you want the function to come from (ex: TV)
5) The screen will read "from key"
6) Tap the set button and it will read "SYNT"
7) Then press 3-digit advanced function code
8)  Press select screen will read "to mode"
9) Tap the device key you want the function to go to (ex: TV)
10) Screen will read "to key"
11) Then tap the key where you want function to go to (ex: select)
12) Screen will flash success then exiting setup will appear
13) LED screen will return to main screen

TVs ------------------ 

423 Adjust        642 CTL Enter     243 CTL Pincushi  697 G          
612 Amplitude Do  558 CTL Focus     575 CTL Point     635 Help       
360 Amplitude Up  449 CTL G         563 CTL Position  553 Horiz Width
695 B             255 CTL GHI       317 CTL Power On  554 Info       
615 Bow Down      689 CTL HDTV      512 CTL PQR       296 Input List 
363 Bow Up        387 CTL Help      636 CTL PWR Off   568 Kelvin     
314 Coarse/Fine   509 CTL IDTV 1    701 CTL R         485 Keystone Dn
630 Convergence   257 CTL IDTV 2    512 CTL RGB 6     233 Keystone Up
689 CTL *         255 CTL IDTV 3    510 CTL RGB 7     358 Linearity Dn
689 CTL ,         515 CTL IDTV 4    258 CTL RGB 8     618 Linearity Up
689 CTL .         252 CTL IDTV 5    429 CTL RGB 9     683 Normal     
689 CTL 10        306 CTL Info      238 CTL Right     678 Picture Func
509 CTL ABC       560 CTL Input Li  684 CTL Sound Fu  426 Picture Mute
687 CTL Adjust    515 CTL JKL       432 CTL Sound Mu  231 Pincushion Dn
364 CTL Amplitud  320 CTL Kelvin    384 CTL Static    491 Pincushion Up
624 CTL Amplitud  237 CTL Keystone  639 CTL Store     311 Point      
447 CTL B         497 CTL Keystone  510 CTL STU       372 Power Off  
367 CTL Bow Down  498 CTL Left      323 CTL Test      565 Power On   
627 CTL Bow Up    622 CTL Linearit  621 CTL Tilt Ske  437 R          
435 CTL Cancel    370 CTL Linearit  369 CTL Tilt Ske  420 Sound Func
578 CTL Coarse/F  435 CTL Load      492 CTL Up        632 Static     
382 CTL Converge  252 CTL MNO       557 CTL Vert Hei  375 Store      
257 CTL DEF       435 CTL Normal    300 CTL Vertical  571 Test       
450 CTL Display   702 CTL Operate   258 CTL VWX       357 Tilt Skew Dn
318 CTL Dot/Crs   430 CTL Picture   429 CTL YZ        617 Tilt Skew Up
240 CTL Down      690 CTL Picture   566 Dot/Crs       293 Vertical Ht
577 CTL End       495 CTL Pincushi  294 Focus         548 Vertical Hol

TELEVISION.
425 0...............*                  425 0...............,
425 0................                  245 1...............1
425 0...............10                 505 2...............2
503 3...............3                  251 4...............4
500 5...............5                  248 6...............6
246 7...............7                  506 8...............8
677 9...............9                  245 1..............ABC
505 2...............DEF                698 DISPLAY.........Display
488 DOWN............Down               313 EXIT............End
378 SELECT..........Enter              503 3...............GHI
425 0...............HDTV               245 1...............IDTV 1
505 2...............IDTV 2             503 3...............IDTV 3
251 4...............IDTV 4             500 5...............IDTV 5
251 4...............JKL                234 LEFT............Left
500 5...............MNO                438 MENU............Operate
299 PIP MOVE........Position           248 6...............PQR
248 6...............RGB 6              246 7...............RGB 7
506 8...............RGB 8              677 9...............RGB 9
486 RIGHT...........Right              680 MUTE............Sound Mute
246 7...............STU                228 UP..............Up
506 8...............VWX                677 9...............YZ/

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yes, they're called Advanced codes, 3 digit codes for individual functions, uses a different memory bank then the learned commands. So using advanced codes doesn't change the number commands you can learn. But to use advanced codes, there has to be a working setup code in the remote.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, I see. So the advanced codes don't help me for the DVD player, since I don't have a working setup code for that device. But I can use as many projector advanced codes as I want, and it won't use up any of the 25 slots I need to use for learning the DVD player codes. Correct? It's basically just changing the programming of the downloaded 0497 setup code (which is the code for my projector)?

I'm still confused by the difference between the two listings of "TV Group" codes for 0497 vs. the "Television" list. I'm guessing the "Television" list is the mapping from 9910 keys to projector functions? So e.g. hitting "MENU" on the 9910 sends the "Operate" code to the projector, which is advanced code 438? Some keys have multiple codes associated with them, e.g. 0 has four different codes. Does the remote actually store and send different codes if you press 0 repeatedly? I thought the receiving device was the one to decide what happened if you pressed digits multiple times.

Whoever built the "Television" map was on serious drugs. He included bizarre stuff like

"Position" on the "PIP MOVE" button, but "Position" is a setup/configuration thing you don't touch after you get your projector dialled in. He included "Sound mute," but there *IS* no "Sound mute" on the projector, and he didn't include "Video mute," which I use frequently. Meanwhile he left out basic things like power on/off. And there are other codes in the mode that aren't listed -- the FAV button does something, not sure what, but it messes up the projector. Wonder how you DELETE an advanced code from a button? Guess I could always map something innocuous onto it. And where is the "DISPLAY" button that it maps the "Display" code onto??

The list of advanced codes for the projector is bizarre. There are things in there that I don't recognize (like all the IDTV stuff). There are a bunch of CTL functions that don't have an equivalent non-CTL version, but I'm guessing that's because the non-CTL versions are listed in the "Television" section.

Thanks for the help. They definitely do NOT make this easy to understand. I can't believe the average consumer would EVER figure this out without help.

Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
gary, jp-1 is the way to go. have not been stumped yet. just ebayed a hd- sat 520 for my new olevia 37" lcd for ota channels + digital sound out ( i missed the fact that the olevia didnt have digital sound out...lol). similar story to your 880n. i had to program the hd 1080 into the ofa remote to make the 520 work ( no remote when bought $62). missing a couple of functions but for the price of the ofa remote and jp1 jumper, it's hard to beat. google "jp-1" guys there are like the guys here, friendly and helpful. try http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...egory&cat_id=5 scroll to ur device. ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.