AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to our particular needs, we're looking at LCDs that need to be movable by one person from room to room. 5,6, or 7 series.

I can heft a 46" no problem. However, I tried hefting a 52" before and just could not get a proper grip. I don't think it's the weight of the 52" although I did not try very hard. The 52" just seemed too large to get a proper grip. Also the 52" is only 6" larger than the 46" but for some reason, it seemed a lot heavier.

So question: Do any of you lift and move a 52" LCD no problem? or is the 46 about the limit? I'm 5' 11"and am of what is probably 'average' strength doing this as a test.

Thanks,

UL

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I've lifted my own 52 Inch Sammy time to time with no problem. (I am a pretty big man though) It's scary as all get out. You can't see anything and it would be SUPER easy to scratch the screen. Should I ask why you can't get another person to help? That would be much better.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralight1 /forum/post/15550236

Due to our particular needs, we're looking at LCDs that need to be movable by one person from room to room. 5,6, or 7 series.

No budget for the 8 series? The super thin, light weight version Samsung put out?

Anyways, lifting a 52" is not really a problem. CARRYING it more than a few inches on the other hand... no. You need two people for this, unless you put it on the floor & slide it across.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralight1 /forum/post/15550236

I can heft a 46" no problem. However, I tried hefting a 52" before and just could not get a proper grip. I don't think it's the weight of the 52" although I did not try very hard. The 52" just seemed too large to get a proper grip. Also the 52" is only 6" larger than the 46" but for some reason, it seemed a lot heavier.

So question: Do any of you lift and move a 52" LCD no problem? or is the 46 about the limit? I'm 5' 11"and am of what is probably 'average' strength doing this as a test.

Thanks,

UL

Why in the world would you need to move it often? I think the best idea in this case would be to invest in a TV stand with wheels rather than to risk damaging a $1500 TV. One toy or a shoe left out could result in a trip and one saddened LCD owner.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Funny thing, I was in Japan all of last week. My hotel was just across the street from a BIC camera store (picture a BB on steroids). The whole second floor is TVs.

One of the things that I noticed is that most of the sets there come with handles on the back of them for lifting. The handles normally were on both ends of the set and I had a hard time figuring out why until the OPs question. Japanese households are normally smaller than ours and allot of times the set is not mounted on the wall, it has to be moveable.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. MUCH appreciated. I think that 46" is it then as the 52" seem difficult. As to moving solo, sometimes I'm the only one around to do the setup and such.

8 series: Cost. Also sound but willing to sacrifice that for the thinness. The thin dimension will help with the lifting but I think the weight, per specifications, is not really much lighter.

Thanks,

UL

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm rather short at 5'7" so I understand the grip issue. On my 52A750, it was a pain getting out of the box....not necessarily the weight, but trying to finesse it out of fear of scratching the bezel or stressing the bezel where the TOC might peel. I had one hand up top and one of bottom. Kind of hard to maneuver, but I made it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts