AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 3 Xbox 360 controllers. Right now, I have two Microsoft made rechargeable battery packs. With the third controller, I'm just using the two AA batteries. My two rechargeable packs are both working really lame. They won't hold a charge for long at all. I know I need to get a new one. Problem is, I really need 3 of these suckers. Amazon has them for $11.99, and if I buy 3 of them, then I can get the free shipping for orders over $25.

My other option, is trying one of the off brands on Ebay. The off-brands are basically half the price. The question is, are they craptacular? Or, are all these kinds of rechargeable things pretty much the same? I will say, that I must give credit to Sony for one thing regarding their PS3. The built in battery on the PS3 dual shocks seem to work pretty well. I know that supposedly they will eventually run dry, but when Sony was first talking about it, they said that it will take like 10 years of use for that to happen. It remains to be seen if that is legit or not, but that's another story.

Anyways, back to the 360 rechargeables... Has anybody bought one of the off brand rechargeables on Ebay? Has it worked well for you?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Hmm I use the MS official battery packs and they last weeks at a time with me playing 2-4hrs a day. Maybe you just got a bad batch? I like them although I will say that one red controller I have has a battery pack that wants to pop out just enough to break connection and make me reconnect every once in awhile. Nothing a little tape won't fix though.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 /forum/post/16853921

Can't go wrong with Sanyo eneloop rechargeable batteries. I had 2 MSFT battery packs that didn't even last 3 months during my CoD4 craze.

i've had 3-4 packs with the 2 pack docking station (all official MS) for 2 or more years, and they all still work like new, even with 22 days of cod4

·
Registered
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/16855480

i've had 3-4 packs with the 2 pack docking station (all official MS) for 2 or more years, and they all still work like new, even with 22 days of cod4

You are probably one of the people that made me want to throw my controller through the TV and rip the 360 off the entertainment center and smash it repeatedly on the floor.

You know its bad when you watch the replay of your death, and you still have no idea how they got you. Again. And again. And AGAIN.

Here's hoping MW2 levels the playing field a bit again and gives the casual/quasi dedicated MW2er a decent shot of enjoying the game again.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. I sucked at PGR2 for the old Xbox for months before I finally understood how the game was played and I went on to be one of the best racers in any group I raced in. I could out-kudo pretty much anyone and I never cheated. It just takes time and dedication. Then again some people are just better no matter how good you get.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Cheap batteries always seem to suck. I bought an off-brand battery for my Sony digital camera, and it was dead meat in 10 months. The expensive Sony batteries last years and years for me.

If it sounds too good to be true....skip it and go with Eneloops!

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So everybody is suggesting regular double AA type rechargeables, rather than a battery pack type thing? When I was talking about off-brand batteries on Ebay, I was actually talking about battery pack type things that look like the official Microsoft ones, but are made from some other company.

The problem I have with getting regular double AA type rechargeables, is the fact that the 360 controllers I have, I don't actually have the normal battery cover thing for them. Well, I have it for one of the 3 controllers, but I don't have it for the other two controllers. The other two controllers came with battery packs, and the thing that held the regular double A batteries was missing. Which means, if I go the regular double AA rechargeable route, I also have to get two battery cover things.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Eneloops. For everything. It's got to the point where people /start/ to ask about batteries and I cut them off before they say what the batteries are FOR.

·
Registered
901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibilance /forum/post/16866869

Eneloops. For everything. It's got to the point where people /start/ to ask about batteries and I cut them off before they say what the batteries are FOR.

I remember some speculation that the Duracell pre-charged rechargibles are just rebranded Enloops. Does anyone know if that's actually true? I have a lot of those Duracells--they seem to work pretty well.

I have the official Microsoft battery packs for my controllers, and they seem to last a long time. A lot longer than the battery in my DualShock 3, for sure. I have to charge them maybe every 3-4 weeks if I'm playing 1-2 hours a day.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had several sets of the official MS battery packs, and half died after a month.

Now I use Sanyo Eneloops, and couldn't be happier

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/16866061

So everybody is suggesting regular double AA type rechargeables, rather than a battery pack type thing? When I was talking about off-brand batteries on Ebay, I was actually talking about battery pack type things that look like the official Microsoft ones, but are made from some other company.

If you're going to use battery packs instead of standard AA batteries, you may find that your mileage varies heavily from unit to unit. That is, you may get one battery pack that holds charge really well for quite some time, and another that doesn't hold a charge at all after a year. Since the battery packs combine a cheap charger and cheap batteries, if either is sub-standard or faulty, the battery pack life is shortened.

Incidentally... It has been advertised, both by Microsoft and by knock-off brands, that the battery packs are "Lithium Polymer" or "Lithium Ion". They're not, or at least they weren't last time anyone checked. Even the Microsoft one contains just standard NiMH cells.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.