AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a plasma to put in my gameroom to mostly play games, watch some HDTV (mostly sports) and the occassional movie. Since it's not a primary TV, and my kids will mostly use it, I'm not inclined to spend a great deal of money on it. What is the opinion on the current offering of off or lesser brands of plasmas like Insignia, Zenith, RCA, etc. Are there any picks among their models that would suffice for the basic use I listed above? Aren't many/most simply rebranded from the big names?

Side comment: If the consensus is to spend a little more for the true brand name, I have a Samsung PN50A550 that is a couple years old that I may move to the gameroom. Then I'll just have to buy a bigger TV for the family room. That TV should handle those duties just fine, yes?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The Zenith is a re-badged LG with a couple of inputs dropped.

Insignia is normally a re-badged Samsung. I've not seen any RCA plasmas.

The Samsung 50A550 is still a nice TV.

If it were me I'd use this as an excuse to get a bigger TV for the living room

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoTango /forum/post/19630444

I'm looking for a plasma to put in my gameroom to mostly play games, watch some HDTV (mostly sports) and the occassional movie. Since it's not a primary TV, and my kids will mostly use it, I'm not inclined to spend a great deal of money on it. What is the opinion on the current offering of off or lesser brands of plasmas like Insignia, Zenith, RCA, etc. Are there any picks among their models that would suffice for the basic use I listed above? Aren't many/most simply rebranded from the big names?

Since this TV will be used mostly to play games, i'd avoid all the off brands and even the Korean name brands as they all use Korean made panels and all of those are prone to getting persistent IR fairly easily and may end up eventually getting burned-in from heavy gaming use.

It's pretty much established that Panasonic is the most resistant to IR and doesn't seem to suffer burn-in like the other brands so that's the only brand i would recommend here.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19630655

It's pretty much established that Panasonic is the most resistant to IR and doesn't seem to suffer burn-in like the other brands so that's the only brand i would recommend here.

Not to mention you can find many Panasonic plasmas for prices as good as the lower tier brands.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantv1ral /forum/post/19640799

why not an lcd for the kids? no IR, faster response time, blacks isnt as imortant when watching sports, and it seems to me lcds are lighter and able to handle kids

I would probably get an LCD for kids too, but I don't agree with what is in bold. Kids may leave stuff on.

If your sticking with plasma though I'd grab a Panasonic C2, they are like $450 for a 42".

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantv1ral /forum/post/19640799

why not an lcd for the kids? no IR, faster response time, blacks isnt as imortant when watching sports, and it seems to me lcds are lighter and able to handle kids

Lighter means easier to tip. Blacks are important with sports and everything you watch. And Plasma's have the faster response time. Panasonic Plasma's are best with IR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.