AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious: I've got a compromise to make on my screen wall. There is an immovable beam that ends 2.5" left of center in my screen wall. I'm knocking out the drywall and putting speakers in the existing wall (new wall behind, existing wall as a 'false wall').

Assume 16'x21' (+3' behind the screen) room, 110" wide screen on 16' wall.

My choices (simplified):

a) move the screen 6" to the right of center in the room (16' wide screen wall), put the center speaker dead center on the screen.

b) leave the screen centered in the room, speaker 3-6" off center of the screen (assume 110" wide screen).

c) move the screen 3" to the right of center in the room, speaker 3" to the right of center in the screen.

Ignore the acoustic interference issues with the 'false' stud wall, I'm working that. What I'm looking for is any gut feels out there as to how 'centered' the center speaker needs to be on a 110" wide screen to avoid noticable localization issues. Is 1/2" off center noticable? 1"? 6"? 24"?

This is clearly a personal taste issue, just looking for input, or pointers to any helpful info.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I think any of the options you mentioned for placement would be ok. When you say you are putting the speakers in the current wall that will be the faux wall are you saying you will have no drywall on that wall but have it covered with GOM or other AT cloth? I assume you will have the wall behind sound treated.

You are not talking building the speakers into the faux wall right? or are they inwall speakers? I assume you are using an Acoustically transparent screen.

I ask these things because it is not clear and putting non inwalls, which in my personal opinion are not good anyway unless you go really high end, but that is not the question; but putting regular speakers inwall would be a much bigger problem than the center being a little off center.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.

I'm working with Bryan Pape on the acoustics for my theater. I'm comfortable he's going to steer me right on the speaker/wall issues. Making sure that the bare stud 'false wall' doesn't interfere with the speakers is a high priority.

The general idea right now is to remove all drywall from the existing wall and leave a bare stud 'false wall'. I'll build a new wall 2-3' back from the existing wall. The new wall will be treated, the false wall will have an AT screen (formerly planned SMX, now searching for alternatives) and GOM or equivalent. Details beyond that tbd.

I can make pretty big openings in the false wall for the left/right speakers by knocking out individual studs as needed. The center speaker is the only issue, as it is uncomfortably close to a pillar that supports the theater roof and is carefully place on an angled load bearing wall below. Not easy to move...

I'm still working out the details with bpape. I was just trying to get a consensus on the off-center issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,712 Posts
At normal viewing distances for a 110-inch wide screen, you won't notice the centre speaker being 3-6 inches off axis.

For a symmetrical look, your last option seems best. It moves the screen a small enough difference to not appear asymmetrical, and keeps the centre speaker close to the middle.

Personally, I would move the entire set-up (screen, all 3 front speakers, seating, etc) 6 inches to the right. For acoustical reasons, I prefer having a little asymmetry between the left and right walls.

Sanjay

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Ok that makes me feel much better knowing you are working with Brian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.