AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like what I see in the commercial for this show. But what really sells me is Zach Gilford is on the cast. Fans of Friday Night Lights will recognize that name...QB2 turned best character on the show! He turned in some AH-MAZING performances. Can't wait to see what he does on this medical drama!

What I don't want to see is another medical drama that is just about what two characters are sleeping together that week. I'm a Grey's and Private Practice fan, but 3 shows of the same formula would be too much. If it more about the cases, with some meaningful looks into the main characters' lives, then that'll be worth watching.

Premiere is Jan. 12 on ABC!

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts
I'll be watching the premiere episode in a few minutes. I noticed that the episode number for the first one is 102, not 101 (or sometimes they start with 100).

Does anyone know what happened to episode 101? Is it a failed pilot and 102 is the reworked reshoot?

·
Super Moderator
18,719 Posts
That was my guess.

I plowed through the first four episodes over Christmas. Was still unsold after the pilot, but the successive episodes were great.

I like how the characters still have the same quirks that made the first couple seasons of "Grey's" a delight to watch. Writing's tight, as usual. Casting seems right, too.

I'd go on, but don't want to give anything away. it WILL be on my DVR list.

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon /forum/post/19762177

I plowed through the first four episodes over Christmas. Was still unsold after the pilot, but the successive episodes were great.

Just finished watching the first episode. It was the unsweetened 1080i audio version.

I liked it and will continue watching.

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts
BTW, after the episode airs, see if you notice the same "oops" that I did. There is probably more than one, but the one I'm thinking of was pretty blatant.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just watched the premiere last night. I forgot all about watching for an "oops" so don't know what it was. All I could keep thinking was these young doctors showed up in a foreign country not having learned a word of the language (didn't even know what a ****** was), appeared not to have any orientation either before going or upon arrival (don't go into the jungle at night/swimming in the rivers or an anoconda might get you), were told about a beautiful beach which turned out to be a high cliff. Then what happens, they jump off that cliff into the ocean not even knowing how deep the water was, where any submerged rocks might be, or even how to get back on land.

The main doctor seems to have developed the hots for the new young doctor pretty quickly after his current squeeze left for the airport. Okay, she was gone two days but apparently had left before. That's supposed to be a relationship?

There are scenes where the resident doctors say they had done their homework researching the new doctors and provided some proof by reciting some intimate items. But then they had to be told about the pretty, young doctor's leave of absence being because the patient who had died was her fiance. Really?

I will continue watching to see if it gets better (as indicated above) and to watch how they utilize the female eye candy. The native-born doctor is pretty hot too!

·
Super Moderator
18,719 Posts
The "oops" Mr Video was referring to....
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) While the ashes cause the sparkling in the water, the movement of the boat through it does not.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well between my local station running over with a basketball game and the President's speech cutting into it on Wednesday...I'm glad they chose to re-air the pilot last night. I watched it on Hulu before that though, as soon as I saw I had missed part of the episode. (This always pissed me off with Lost and despite the station getting bombarded with letters, they never changed.)

I liked it well enough; I mainly tuned in to see (as I said in my OP) Zach Gilford. The characters are pretty cliche in my opinion. All three new doctors are there to get away from their dreadful lives? The main doc had a fling with someone who is "gone" and the doctor who left in the beginning shows back up and has some kind of relationship with him? I guess emotional baggage is the only kind of interesting character these days.

The locale is cool and the kind of cases they can do are going to be interesting, but as far as character depth, I'm not sure about this one, if it is the same formula as GA and PP. Two of those kind of shows is plenty for me. We'll see....I'll give it a few more episodes.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I was hoping that lily (caroline) would be a sinister evil doctor like she was on an episode of Law and order CI last year.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo
BTW, after the episode airs, see if you notice the same "oops" that I did. There is probably more than one, but the one I'm thinking of was pretty blatant.
If you are referring too the motorcycle helmet strap being loose, then magically being fastened, yes. It was quite blatant. Quite a few more.

Otherwise, other than the nice location, I didn't enjoy the premiere.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024
Otherwise, other than the nice location, I didn't enjoy the premiere.
Well it was nice to see some of the old "Lost" locations again.
Otherwise, there was nothing new to see here ... I'll give it one more shot, assuming there's no scheduling conflicts.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged /forum/post/19830211

Well it was nice to see some of the old "Lost" locations again.
Otherwise, there was nothing new to see here ... I'll give it one more shot, assuming there's no scheduling conflicts.

Yeah, but now "Blue Bloods" and "L&O: SVU" are in that slot, too. So, until I get my 3-tuner DVR...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had to watch all the episodes on Hulu, but now I'm thinking that doesn't really matter. This show is feeling very cliche to me. How many random accidents like electrocutions and land slides can there be RIGHT WHERE THE DOCTOR IS? We're heading toward a "we both lost someone we loved so let's have sex" with two of the main characters; and case after case after case of "don't do it like that; this is how we do it in the jungle." We're rinsing and repeating themes from GA and PP. Nothing seems fresh except the location.

I love some acting by Zach Gilford, but I don't know if he's going to be enough to keep me interested.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 /forum/post/19920552

I've had to watch all the episodes on Hulu, but now I'm thinking that doesn't really matter. This show is feeling very cliche to me. How many random accidents like electrocutions and land slides can there be RIGHT WHERE THE DOCTOR IS? We're heading toward a "we both lost someone we loved so let's have sex" with two of the main characters; and case after case after case of "don't do it like that; this is how we do it in the jungle." We're rinsing and repeating themes from GA and PP. Nothing seems fresh except the location.

I love some acting by Zach Gilford, but I don't know if he's going to be enough to keep me interested.

eh, if it's only like Early Grey's/PP before everyone had screwed everyone else, then that makes it better than the current iterations of both those shows.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts