AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to see Monster the other day. While it definitely wasn't my favorite film of all time, it is good in terms of acting and if you like this kinda film, by all means go see it.

With me not really able to apreciate the movie itself, I started to look at the image we were getting. I thought "Well i'll be, that looks like a digital structure in the image. Wait, that couldn't be Burn in or is that just dot structure? What are those lines that keep re-appearing? Well this is interesting." The blacks were black, but the image between black and grey was destroyed. It just immediately went to a muddy grey. Where I should have been able to see Christina Ricci's hair, I saw grey and black. Nothing else. Brights were great, but shadows were non-existant.

Argh. DLP strikes again. CRT has ruined me forever.

I dunno, maybe one day it will be close. But at the current time I just don't think its even close to being ready for me to spend 9 bucks to check out at the local multimegasuperextrabiggiefriesandasupersizecokeplex.

Scot

(But I still love movie popcorn :) )

·
Registered
25,022 Posts
I think we are on the cusp of digital finally overtaking CRT in picture quality. From what I've seen ,we are perhaps a year and a half away if all the promised but already working components come together. This will be a great and simultaneously sad day but I think the vast majority of us will be happy about it.

Art

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I'm less focused on the technology than I am on a first rate picture. When a projector is available that's as trouble free, as maintenance free, and delivers as big and as good a picture as my Marquee, IN EVERY RESPECT, and it's in my price range, I won't have any problem taking the Marquee down and putting it up for sale.

But....that day hasn't come yet. And I don't care if they get everything right but are still dependent on lamps with a short life. That won't cut it for me. I WILL NOT PURCHASE A PROJECTOR THAT REQUIRES YOU TO CHANGE A LAMP FROM TIME TO TIME, AND THAT'S FINAL.

So they'd better get busy developing an LED based lamp replacement for projectors (Performance equal to or better than a new, good lamp, but with estimated 100,000 hour life) if they want my business!

CJ

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmjohnson
When a projector is available that's as trouble free, as maintenance free, and delivers as big and as good a picture as my Marquee, IN EVERY RESPECT, and it's in my price range, I won't have any problem taking the Marquee down and putting it up for sale.
Whay CJ stated above I see mentioned all the time... and the logic's always confused me so I have to ask: Why replace the Marquee at all then?? What does replacing the Marquee with something that looks the same and is as trouble free and maintenance free actually give you, other then the work involved in taking down the Marquee, installing the new projector, and the $$$ lost in selling the old and buying the new?

Kal

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
I think we are on the cusp of digital finally overtaking CRT in picture quality. From what I've seen ,we are perhaps a year and a half away if all the promised but already working components come together. This will be a great and simultaneously sad day but I think the vast majority of us will be happy about it.

Art
I dont claim to be up on the latest technology - but seeing as how cd's at 16 bit really are not the best - and now they are trying for 24 bit and using SACD and 5.1 and the like - seeing how this has taken since maybe 1986 to get this far - I dont really see how DLP is going to match CRT within 1.5 years!

How about 7.5 as a good alternative?

( I know basically nothing about the future of DLP - I readily admit that...but will that 1.5 year DLP be a true CRT match or a will it be what we "think" is a match like we did in 1986?)

If you have lamberts, foot candles and all the specs for video thats cool - would do good to educate me on why CRT just looks better and what DLP has to come up with to clone it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikecazzx
I dont claim to be up on the latest technology - but seeing as how cd's at 16 bit really are not the best - and now they are trying for 24 bit and using SACD and 5.1 and the like - seeing how this has taken since maybe 1986 to get this far - I dont really see how DLP is going to match CRT within 1.5 years!
I suspect the technology that WILL surpass CRT is not DLP. I think Art is referring to some other, newer tech. Perhaps SXRD?

Kal has got a point. Those are my thougts exactly. Even when digital projection matches up with CRT, I'll have no reason to "go digital".

Eventually, my CRT will be on the last ship to leave the Grey Havens :) Sad but true.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
"Why switch at all?", the question has been asked.

Well, sooner or later, it appears that there won't be any Marquees left

in usable condition and there won't be parts available for them (tubes specifically) to restore them to usable condition. That's the point at which

even the most die-hard enthusiast will have to throw in the towel and buy

something newer and hopefully even better.

I'm in no hurry, I assure you! I expect my 8000 to continue to be my

best imaging toy for years to come.

CJ

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Is Dlp better????? Who Cares! If you like CRT, as do i. Stick with it!

Crt, are sportscars! Porsche just released a new 911 GT3. It doesnt have all of the modern bells and whistles that other new cars have.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/firstlook/0312ec_porsche/

Do i want it??? Ummm, lemme think..... Yup!

Crt's are old tech. Do i Care if there is new Tech?

Nope!

·
Registered
496 Posts
"that looks like a digital structure in the image."

Actually, what you saw was was the best offering available of "Simulated Perforation of Projection Screen" - the latest available in the attempt to bring you the most realistic theater image possible, utilizing todays state of the art technology. :D

--Kieth

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Whatever the technology will be and WHENEVER it arrives, NOTHING WILL STOP OR CHANGE IT and all the bitching, moaning and rationalizing will DO NOTHING TO CHANGE ANYTHING.

Nobody has to worry about their CRT projectors though, you're NOT going to wake up one morning and check the forum, only to find out that THEY'RE HERE and they've passed a law saying you can NO LONGER use your CRT. ANY CHANGE, will take place over time.....and then more time!

Bruce

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not to mention all the idiots in the theater around you. At Cold Mountain last weekend, some lady brought their 8 year old daughter to the movie and proceeded to say "Just cover your eyes for a minute" every time there was a gory or sex scene. Not to mention the girl moving her straw in and out of her cup lid like it was a trombone. I hate the picture in the theater, and I can't stand the inconsiderate patrons that bring their kids to R rated movies or leave their cell phones on.

EOR!

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.