AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stumbled upon store display A2 (no remote) and A20 - both on clearance for ~$100. Both have no power cords, manual, cable etc but working as tested in store today. Both unit are AS-IS from the store.

Amazon warehouse deal is selling A30 for $99.

Which one is the better deal if you only have $100 to spend?

Newbie...already have A3 but need a backup.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
If you want one for backup or another room, I'd get the A30 from Amazon.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Get the A30 from Amazon making sure it's the "fulfillment by Amazon" deal. I don't like the "cosmetic blemish" description though. That could mean anything.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Get the A20.

I have two of them and in my opinion, they're second only to the XA2 as far as awesomeness. Whether or not the A30 is superior technologically is a matter for debate. But the A20 is a masterpiece. So rugged and very sharp looking.

I picked up my second A20 a few weeks ago on eBay. It was listed with a Buy It Now price of $90. It came with 14 HD DVDs including Season One of Battlestar Galactica. Also included was an $80 premium-quality 6ft HDMI cable from IXOS. I've already sold the handful of movies that I already had (BSG included) for just shy of what I paid for all of it. And the player is absolutely mint.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Get the A20. You won't regret it. Also the 2nd gen players can be made region free if you want to watch non region 1 disc. But your display will have to be capable of doing PAL if you want to watch PAL DVDs because the Toshiba won't convert standards.

·
Registered
28,802 Posts
Since the A20 comes "as is", I'd opt for the A30 for Amazon. You'll get two free discs too even though you may have them already. Plus 30 days to return it if anything should go wrong.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Quote:
Brand new HD-A2s, $64.99 Buy It Now. Three available.

"All Electronics opened for inspection" means it's not new. So, the seller's either fudging, or really doesn't know the difference. In any case, not good.

If it isn't sealed, it isn't new. His feedback as a seller isn't good and very new. 3 feedbacks, 1 is a neutral as a seller. Take your chances with that auction.
I'd pass.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 /forum/post/14208799

"All Electronics opened for inspection" means it's not new. So, the seller's either fudging, or really doesn't know the difference. In any case, not good.

If it isn't sealed, it isn't new. His feedback as a seller isn't good and very new. 3 feedbacks, 1 is a neutral as a seller. Take your chances with that auction.
I'd pass.

+1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My heart set on A20. Suddenly eBay price on A20/A20 even A3 jumped up today, that's weird. It's a deal to be made few weeks ago though. I guess I'll wait.

$100 AS-IS from the store sound expensive when I looked up the purchase price history on eBay.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
There have been a lot of customer return model HD-A20 and HD-A30 players on eBay and uBid. Some are without box, manual, remote, power cord and other accessories but as a back up player should be good if you already have those items you need. Most of the sellers offer 7-day inspection period to determine if the player is as described and you are on your own after that.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts