AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my VW790 yesterday - and after a lot of back and forth in my head I decided to go the Sony way again!

My biggest concerns has been:
1. HDR and Dynamic Control function that actually closes the gap to JVC when it comes to deep blacks
2. HDR vs JVC N5 that has DTM.

So actually I have been considering also buying a Lumagen Radiance for handling the DTM but according to my experience so far - there is actually no need.

I still saw the short flicker when gain changes especially going from very dark to very light scene when Dynamic Control is applied, but it was less noticable and didnt disturb the watching that much at all. Can that vary from unit to unit? I experienced the flicker so disturbing so I put the feature off when I tested the projector at home a couple of weeks ago.

So: my biggest worry was handling of HDR compared to JVC NX5, but I must say that I like the Sony approach a little bit more. A generic DTM lighten the picture up - at least NX5 did. But Sony focus on getting the contrast, specles and highlights kept but still not too dark or dull. With the breathtaking conatrast, dynamics and sharpness advantage over NX5 I personally think VW790 deliver a better HDR than NX serie from JVC. THAT was a surprise. There is in my world no need for external VP to achive a marvelous HDR picture. Might be if in a not 100% light controlled environement that DTM deliver a better experience.

All in all: wow. What a projector. The only think JVC have an advantage when it come to the deepest of black. Apply dunamic control and the blacks are very very close to JVC. Not there but almost.

Just wanted you guys to know that Sony has taken a huge leap with HDR in this generation!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the feedback ! I have a 790 for a few weeks as well. Still struggling with some issues on my side :

1) I have a problem (probably AVR related) when switching from HDR to SDR mode or the opposite : in certain occations (and it generally happens after one or a few of those switches), the display get corrupted and the only way to get it back is to switch the 790 OFF/ON. Without the AVR I'm not getting the issue ever, and the cables are also ok. Support is on it but of course not progressing.

2) HDR modes are too dark for me, the shadows are difficult to distinguish, despite different tests with settings (playing with contrast, light, DBC etc) it's not satisfying for now. The highlights are great but I still feel frustrated with the low lights.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Thanks for the feedback ! I have a 790 for a few weeks as well. Still struggling with some issues on my side :

1) I have a problem (probably AVR related) when switching from HDR to SDR mode or the opposite : in certain occations (and it generally happens after one or a few of those switches), the display get corrupted and the only way to get it back is to switch the 790 OFF/ON. Without the AVR I'm not getting the issue ever, and the cables are also ok. Support is on it but of course not progressing.

2) HDR modes are too dark for me, the shadows are difficult to distinguish, despite different tests with settings (playing with contrast, light, DBC etc) it's not satisfying for now. The highlights are great but I still feel frustrated with the low lights.
Is your AVR on the latest F/W?
Also, what is your screen size and throw? it will have a big impact on HDR presentation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, latest FW of course. Regarding the size and trhow, I'm on a 2.5 m base, which should not stress that PJ at all :) I'm not missing any light as the highlights look great and shiny, nearly need sunglasses :)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts

Are you hooked up to more than one display through your AVR? ie: TV and PJ....

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Congrats Peter. Thanks for your report and for starting the new 915/790 owners thread.

Glad to hear you echo the experience reported by others, that flies in the face of some reviews.

I'm really glad you're off to such a great ownership experience.

;)

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Yes, latest FW of course. Regarding the size and trhow, I'm on a 2.5 m base, which should not stress that PJ at all :) I'm not missing any light as the highlights look great and shiny, nearly need sunglasses :)
Some of the settings with HDR are slightly counter intuitive keep experimenting you will get there eventually. The HDR slider is a great tool for too dark an image.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Good news on the Sony Dynamic Tone Mapping Front for the next generation projectors.
Does this projector have X1 Ultimate Projector (to handle DTM) or does it have X1 Ultimate?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Good news on the Sony Dynamic Tone Mapping Front for the next generation projectors.
Does this projector have X1 Ultimate Projector (to handle DTM) or does it have X1 Ultimate?
Neither.
It has the X1.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have now done some settings and also wached som movies (yes that is true ;))..

My settings: 130" 2:35:1 Clearpix sound transperant screen. Former former proj was Sony VW520, and former JVC NX5.

Started with DVE HD Basics and Spears and Munsil UHD - and that was the first bit of surprise: brightness, the did the pluge and brightness set to 42 on SDR and 39 on HDR. All reality creation and enhancing functions off of course. Didnt touch contrast in HDR and it was fine in SDR. Then I put on the Reality Creation Digital Focus and HDR Enhancer set to middle and dynamic control sett to full. I went through the Spears and Munsil demo material in both 1000, 2000 and 4000 nits and full of details, highlights and specles as well as no black crush of what I could see.

Saw the whole Start Wars: Revenge of the Sith which is a quite dark movie (in both sense) and I was really blown off... Quite dark but still full of details and highlight and specles. So darn good. The sharpness, dunamic and contrast is amazing. My biggest worry moving away from the JVC NX serie was that I will never get back this marvelous black levels, but: setting the right amount of brighness and using HDR enhancer and dynamic Control actaully proved me that I was wrong. I know that JVC has more contrast in the 2% lowest APL, but with all dynamic control and hdr enhance on the Sony on, my perception is that the black was equally good, but Sony is way more sharp and dynamic.

So Kudos Sony, since handling of HDR was my biggest concern and even made me consider a VP for that matter - you have proven me that I don't need that at all. In my 100% light controlled home theater Sony VW790 out performs JVCs tone mapping, which I would NEVER EVER have thought.

Then you can understand that I am a bit pleased :)

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
So Kudos Sony, since handling of HDR was my biggest concern and even made me consider a VP for that matter - you have proven me that I don't need that at all. In my 100% light controlled home theater Sony VW790 out performs JVCs tone mapping, which I would NEVER EVER have thought.
Then you can understand that I am a bit pleased :)
Just wondering if you compared 'A - B' the Sony HDR Tone Mapping to Lumagen DTM what your comments would be?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Started with DVE HD Basics and Spears and Munsil UHD - and that was the first bit of surprise: brightness, the did the pluge and brightness set to 42 on SDR and 39 on HDR.
I am glad you like the unit and are positive on the in-built Sony HDR solution they went to. Your finding is a bit odd and I wonder what they changed. Typically the Sony Brightness control set below 50 just crushes bars 17 - 18 for SDR and thereafter depending on how low you go. That is, 50 was "native panel black" and then the control changed video black which is what caused the crush going lower. Also others have found in the past that for built-in HDR they had to go up to 54 or so.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am glad you like the unit and are positive on the in-built Sony HDR solution they went to. Your finding is a bit odd and I wonder what they changed. Typically the Sony Brightness control set below 50 just crushes bars 17 - 18 for SDR and thereafter depending on how low you go. That is, 50 was "native panel black" and then the control changed video black which is what caused the crush going lower. Also others have found in the past that for built-in HDR they had to go up to 54 or so.
I was also a bit dirturbed by that so even asked my dealer about it. But nevertheless, teh SDR pluge in HD basics i landed on 41 on the Spears and Munsil 42.And 39 for HDR, really strange but the bars infront of me doesnt lie :). And the result watching a full move that is known t obe dark was a bit of a proof that it was correct settings

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thank you for the great info.

I am beginning my journey for a dedicated 100% light controlled theater.

I'm hoping for a screen a little larger (maybe 156 inch diagonal 2.4 screen that is acoustically transparent)

The gods have been kind to me lately and I'm thinking of splurging with the 915.

I'm hopeful to be as happy as you with that option.

Jack

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Thank you for the great info.

I am beginning my journey for a dedicated 100% light controlled theater.

I'm hoping for a screen a little larger (maybe 156 inch diagonal 2.4 screen that is acoustically transparent)

The gods have been kind to me lately and I'm thinking of splurging with the 915.

I'm hopeful to be as happy as you with that option.

Jack
You will be super happy with a 790/915, just as you would have been with a 760/885 had you been buying earlier on.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You will be super happy with a 790/915, just as you would have been with a 760/885 had you been buying earlier on.
Thank you!!

I'm a home theater enthusiast and know tremendously more than any of my friends. But compared to you all, I know nothing.

I read all the posts and there is so much "criticism" of Sony I was somewhat concerned.

I appreciate learning from you all.

I'm waiting on info from contractors, designers, etc. so I can make decisions on my project.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
If you arrange me a free one to enable such a test I will for sure volonteer ;)
Imho, don't give it a second thought. Enjoy your new toy as is. Congrats

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Thank you!!

I'm a home theater enthusiast and know tremendously more than any of my friends. But compared to you all, I know nothing.

I read all the posts and there is so much "criticism" of Sony I was somewhat concerned.

I appreciate learning from you all.

I'm waiting on info from contractors, designers, etc. so I can make decisions on my project.
As far as I myself am concerned, don't take my criticism of their 'fast and loose' marketing practices for a dislike of their products.
I am the proud and happy owner of a 760ES and as such I am sure I hold Sony to a higher standard than I think they do themselves.
Be under no illusions, the improvement of the 790 over the 760 (with the latest firmware) is there but is very modest and purely software based.
They are both fantastic machines. Check out the 'eye candy' thread for my own images from my screen to see what I mean.
I would be surprised if you did not love the 790.:)

Reactions: JackVette

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I must admit that I did some stupid roookie mistake yesterday. Since my former JVC NX5 was creating some mess in the Dynamic Range I also put the VW790 in extended HDMI range, which was the reason for me to see the Pluges blacker than black and that was also the reason for the low settings in brightness - stupid me! :oops:

Nevertheless, corrected my mistake and found brighness 51 in HDR and 49 in SDR. More: HDR enhancer and Contrast Enhancer (SDR) set to middle and dynamic control also to middle. Whne both applied the blacks are definitely on JVC level otherwise a bit behind. I see the flicker when gain is changed which is a bit more disturbing in movies like the greatest showman, Oblivion or BR2049, but not at all visible or disturbing in Guradinas of the galaxy or Star Wars revenge of the Sith.And not at all noticable in SDR - so no artefacts there at all.

I can live with the flicker since the dynamic control adds som much better blacks and dynamics :).

So everything corrected and now still I am so extremely happy for my VW790 :)

1 - 20 of 332 Posts