AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Curious issue I'm still having is when changing inputs on my avr from cable to blu-ray player, or starting a disc when on the blu-ray player input, is the screen goes pink pixilly (can still hear sound) and I have to switch back to the cable input then back to the player and the image is clear. Replaced the player cable with a no name 8K one from Amazon, but will install some 6ft Monoprice 8K just received to see if that makes a difference.
What is your AVR again? I had this issue with my SC-LX901. It would give a screen of snow and I found the only way to stop it was to quickly hit the AVR 'home' button and then 'back' and then the signal would sync properly. I spoke to Sony and Pioneer about it and neither would admit it was their device. I had my money on the pioneer though as when you took it out of the loop i.e. connected directly to the PJ, it all worked flawlessly.
I bought an HD Fury Vertex 2, specifically to sort it the HDMI issues out, (which it did of course). I was delighted that (super bonus) it gave me the added benefit of Dolby Vision capability!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
That has happended to me as well but very rare. I have an Arcam. It is what I understand a HDMU sync and hand shake issue.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
That has happended to me as well but very rare. I have an Arcam. It is what I understand a HDMU sync and hand shake issue.
More specifically, I believe it is an HDCP issue.
My issue happened every time I started the blu-ray player.
Didn't happen with my SC-LX89, but as soon as I changed to the 901, it started.
HD Fury device cured it.

Reactions: PeterLarsson

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
What I found weird is that a better AVR had trouble but the older one didn't. Some put it down to the cheaper HDMI chipset purportedly used on the newer model.

·
Registered
30,248 Posts
Would you say the 4K cable would be good enough for HDR 40ft to a 915ES? Is there an issue with 8K cable being overkill and not proven?
I use the Ruipro 40' myself. I would think the 8k version would be good, but just have not heard of it being officially tested.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
What is your AVR again? I had this issue with my SC-LX901. It would give a screen of snow and I found the only way to stop it was to quickly hit the AVR 'home' button and then 'back' and then the signal would sync properly. I spoke to Sony and Pioneer about it and neither would admit it was their device. I had my money on the pioneer though as when you took it out of the loop i.e. connected directly to the PJ, it all worked flawlessly.
I bought an HD Fury Vertex 2, specifically to sort it the HDMI issues out, (which it did of course). I was delighted that (super bonus) it gave me the added benefit of Dolby Vision capability!
I have a Pioneer SC-LX701. Last night I was starting to think the avr was the weak 'link'. How does the HD Fury fix the issue(s)?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I have a Pioneer SC-LX701. Last night I was starting to think the avr was the weak 'link'. How does the HD Fury fix the issue(s)?
Ah-ha! That now makes sense. The HD fury Vertex 2 (I think they generally all work the same, but the Vertex 2 have me most options for DV) acts as an HDMI intermediary (for want of a better word). Best to check on their site for more, as they are primarily sold as a device that will sort out any HDMI issue.
As for your cable, your new pj was always going to show up even slightly defective cabling. I would always go fibre optic over 15 feet or so. Get that long run up to spec in any case. ;):)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Ah-ha! That now makes sense. The HD fury Vertex 2 (I think they generally all work the same, but the Vertex 2 have me most options for DV) acts as an HDMI intermediary (for want of a better word). Best to check on their site for more, as they are primarily sold as a device that will sort out any HDMI issue.
As for your cable, your new pj was always going to show up even slightly defective cabling. I would always go fibre optic over 15 feet or so. Get that long run up to spec in any case. ;):)
Where does the HD Fury go, before or after your avr? Also, you mentioned that setting up the Fury for DV was not simple, how complicated is it?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Where does the HD Fury go, before or after your avr? Also, you mentioned that setting up the Fury for DV was not simple, how complicated is it?
I have mine in between the sources (bluray player and shield pro) and the AVR. It works every time, no issues.
As for setting up for DV, I dont recall where I said it was complicated, it can get involved if you play with automix or get into other settings, but it is as easy as selecting the Sony A1 EDID if you want instant usable results. :)
Good practice to make sure you have the latest firmware on your 701 too.

Reactions: cdnscg

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Has it happened since you installed the Lumagen? Was wondering if this would be a fix. Much more expensive than the HD Fury, but may-be another excuse to consider the expenditure 😁

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Has it happened since you installed the Lumagen? Was wondering if this would be a fix. Much more expensive than the HD Fury, but may-be another excuse to consider the expenditure 😁
No, but now I put on the projector, adding 10 secs of delay, put on the Lumagen and then 5 sec of delay and then put on the rest. This is suggested by Lumagens owner in order to reduce synch issues and so forth. So I have not had a probelm since Lumagen and before that is was extermely rare so I wouldnt define it as a problem really.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
No, but now I put on the projector, adding 10 secs of delay, put on the Lumagen and then 5 sec of delay and then put on the rest. This is suggested by Lumagens owner in order to reduce synch issues and so forth. So I have not had a probelm since Lumagen and before that is was extermely rare so I wouldnt define it as a problem really.
Stands to reason the more devices in the chain the more negotiation has to happen back and forth between all devices with associated delays and potential sync/HDCP issues
Great thing about the Fury is that you can configure it to spoof very specific feature sets etc and it can cure basically any HDMI ills.
Adds immense flexibility should you so require. :)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Stands to reason the more devices in the chain the more negotiation has to happen back and forth between all devices with associated delays and potential sync/HDCP issues
Great thing about the Fury is that you can configure it to spoof very specific feature sets etc and it can cure basically any HDMI ills.
Adds immense flexibility should you so require. :)
Is the Fury plug and play, or do you have to take a course:unsure:

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Is the Fury plug and play, or do you have to take a course:unsure:
Unless using it to spoof the EDID to pretend your PJ is DV capable (which tends to follow on once you have capability), then zero config.
Originally I simply added it in line and my HDMI issues simply vanished. I think it acts to make sure every thing talks correctly allowing for devices that may have 'language' issues perhaps?

·
Registered
241 Posts
All:

I have been reading all these posts with interest. I will be starting a project shortly (hopefully).

I'm leaning toward the 915 for the room and would like to place the projector in a box outside the theater in an existing equipment room. As my ceilings are low, I think that could keep anyone from bumping the projector....

This means the projector would be about 20' from an AT screen. I'm also leaning toward a 156 inch scope screen.

The room is 100% light controlled. According to projector central, this should work?

I'm hoping for two rows of seats with the front row about 12' to 13' and the second row maybe 17' to 18'

I have not yet seen the designs for the room.....

Does this make sense to you all who have real world experience? The room is very challenged, and I'm trying to make the best of the situation.....

Thank you and I appreciate any guidance, criticisms, or suggestions.

Jack

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
All:

I have been reading all these posts with interest. I will be starting a project shortly (hopefully).

I'm leaning toward the 915 for the room and would like to place the projector in a box outside the theater in an existing equipment room. As my ceilings are low, I think that could keep anyone from bumping the projector....

This means the projector would be about 20' from an AT screen. I'm also leaning toward a 156 inch scope screen.

The room is 100% light controlled. According to projector central, this should work?

I'm hoping for two rows of seats with the front row about 12' to 13' and the second row maybe 17' to 18'

I have not yet seen the designs for the room.....

Does this make sense to you all who have real world experience? The room is very challenged, and I'm trying to make the best of the situation.....

Thank you and I appreciate any guidance, criticisms, or suggestions.

Jack
SDR would probably be fine at the throw and size mentioned.
However, my first thought was that you may not have enough light at that distance to do HDR any justice whatsoever. that is to say, it will be really dim.
You really need to mount the PJ at the closest possible point for the relevant screen size to even give HDR a fighting chance. Even then 156" is pushing it I fear. Hopefully others can be more specific.
Can you not grab a second hand/B stock VW5000 or RS4500 or suchlike?

·
Registered
241 Posts
SDR would probably be fine at the throw and size mentioned.
However, my first thought was that you may not have enough light at that distance to do HDR any justice whatsoever. that is to say, it will be really dim.
You really need to mount the PJ at the closest possible point for the relevant screen size to even give HDR a fighting chance. Even then 156" is pushing it I fear. Hopefully others can be more specific.
Can you not grab a second hand/B stock VW5000 or RS4500 or suchlike?
Thank you!!

Based on prior posts of yours, I though you may say that....

I am not tied to having the projector outside the room. I guess I can put it between the two rows of seats? As I said, the room is very challenged and the ceiling is low.

Based on previous posts, I was looking at a used unit, but didn't really see one that worked for me.

Thank you very much.

Jack

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Thank you!!

Based on prior posts of yours, I though you may say that....

I am not tied to having the projector outside the room. I guess I can put it between the two rows of seats? As I said, the room is very challenged and the ceiling is low.

Based on previous posts, I was looking at a used unit, but didn't really see one that worked for me.

Thank you very much.

Jack
What height is your ceiling?
The 760 and 790 are quiet machines even when pushed and even at 100% laser your sound track should easily drown it out.
I suggest you do your due diligence and get actual calculations to determine the nits you will get on your chosen screen at that size and that throw, with your chosen projector.

281 - 300 of 332 Posts