AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I prefer Sony's HDR look to the more SDR like presentation of the Lumagen et al. myself. It LOOKS HDR like my 1000nit TV.
Hang subtle highlight detail in the clouds near the sun for example. I mean who looks directly at the sun and thinks wow, I should be able to see more details in those clouds right next to your intensely bright burning corona..... :rolleyes::cool:;)
Have you seen the Lumagen in action yourself?

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Have you seen the Lumagen in action yourself?
I have in the past, but not with my projector.

I am simply happy with how things look now and thereby cannot justify buying such a device regardless of it it did bring some improvement. How do you define 'improvement' anyway?
No doubting the Lumagen's etc of this world can and do add much to many peoples displays, but it all boils down to if you are still looking for a different presentation.
I can see how a Lumagen would pay dividends if you have a very large screen with low light levels available. The tone mapping would come into its own then for sure.

But it comes down to knowing oneself and as I said, I like the presentation of Sony's system. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Can I join the club? I had my 915ES installed today (replacing a 600ES) along with 2 B&W CCM-7.5-S2 ceiling speakers. Now I have HDR and 7.2.2. Let the fun begin!
Let us know your initial impressions

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Can I join the club? I had my 915ES installed today (replacing a 600ES) along with 2 B&W CCM-7.5-S2 ceiling speakers. Now I have HDR and 7.2.2. Let the fun begin!
Congrats!!!

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Let us know your initial impressions
Out of the box, my first impression was how bright the image was and how noisy the projector was. Laser brightness was set to 100% and the fan noise was loud as a result. (The PJ is not too far behind my head.) Reducing brightness reduced the noise. What laser brightness do you guys find optimal? I'm wandering around between 50% & 80%.

After some quick setup using Spears & Munsil, the image looks fine. Even with the laser turned down a bit, it's still brighter than my 600 was with 740 hours on the lamp. I'm not going to miss lamp dimming. Color & hue were spot-on out of the box, but brightness & contrast needed tweaks. I was surprised that I needed a fair amount of sharpness. My 600 was best with sharpness almost zero. My 915 seems to want it around 30.

Familiarity with the 600 made it easy to switch to the 915. The UI is virtually identical and I didn't have to re-program my Harmony Elite. Unfortunately, Sony took away my favorite Motion Flow setting, "Combination". The Smooth settings seem too smooth, so I will have to see whether I like True Cinema enough to set & forget it.

It's fun to have a new toy. I hadn't upgraded anything in several years. Now my dilemma is what to do with the 600. I'd hate for it to become e-waste, but no one is going to want a 4K PJ that lacks HDR.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Out of the box, my first impression was how bright the image was and how noisy the projector was. Laser brightness was set to 100% and the fan noise was loud as a result. (The PJ is not too far behind my head.) Reducing brightness reduced the noise. What laser brightness do you guys find optimal? I'm wandering around between 50% & 80%.

After some quick setup using Spears & Munsil, the image looks fine. Even with the laser turned down a bit, it's still brighter than my 600 was with 740 hours on the lamp. I'm not going to miss lamp dimming. Color & hue were spot-on out of the box, but brightness & contrast needed tweaks. I was surprised that I needed a fair amount of sharpness. My 600 was best with sharpness almost zero. My 915 seems to want it around 30.

Familiarity with the 600 made it easy to switch to the 915. The UI is virtually identical and I didn't have to re-program my Harmony Elite. Unfortunately, Sony took away my favorite Motion Flow setting, "Combination". The Smooth settings seem too smooth, so I will have to see whether I like True Cinema enough to set & forget it.

It's fun to have a new toy. I hadn't upgraded anything in several years. Now my dilemma is what to do with the 600. I'd hate for it to become e-waste, but no one is going to want a 4K PJ that lacks HDR.
I set the laser brightness at 40 for SDR and 85 for most HDR unless their darker, then I go for 100. I find at 85 the noise is livable especially if it's an action packed film. Keep the 600 as a back up in case (hope never) you have to send the 915 in for repair.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok I have a 600ES with a Lumagen and just had the itch to change to a Laser, hence the 915. My picture is fantastic right now and so I’m wondering… if you hadn’t purchased the 915 yet and heard how the noise level was, would you have thought about not purchasing the 915?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
The noise level at high on my 915ES is comparable to the high lamp level on my 300ES, the benefit is now I have more choice for the brightness level, not just low or high. So yes I would still purchase the 915ES. By the way, like many, the PJ is directly above my head. Are you finding it noisy at 80-85 laser brightness?

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
The 915 on 100 is louder than the 600 on high. I have not yet spun a 3D disc on the 915. On the 600, that would put the lamp into high mode. I hope it doesn't lock the 915 into 100% laser.

In other news, I found that of all my discs, only Passengers is real 4K with HDR. My other 4K discs are upscaled, sigh. So I watched Passengers and it looked fabulous.

Finally, I found that I like more Reality Creation on the 915 than on the 600. Like Sharpness, I barely used RC on the 600. But on the 915 it provides a clearer image to my eyes cranked up to 50 or so.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the reply bweissman. I think I need to enjoy my 600 with Lumagen for a while longer…there are definitely pros and cons for getting a new projector in my situation. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,
I have changed my 570es for a 790es and I am very pleased with image in HD or 4K. Image is very improved respect to my last projector.
But, regarding 3d, I think Sony has taken a huge step backwards. The image is full of defects and there is no parameter in the configuration that improves these defects.
I have attached some pics taken behind glasses to show how bad ghosting and crosstalk is in this unit. Actually, issues are worst in real image, as they have crosstalk and ghosting in left and right eye, and my pictures are showing only one on them. Also, real image is more brigther and annoying.
Images are not representative of the projector's image quality in terms of brightness, contrast, focus, or sharpness. I have only focused on making the "double image" effect look good in all 3D movies.
I contacted Sony through my dealer and the answers I receive are if I have the glasses on, if they are Sony's or not, if I have touched the brightness or the contrast ...
Finally, my vendor has offered to test the demo unit they have and we have verified that the image in that unit is as bad in 3D as it is in my unit.
So it is ruled out that it is a problem with my unit.
My glasses are Xpand 103. Sony is not able to give the Sony ones.
Could someone test your unit and tell me if it looks as bad as in the photos?

Thnak you.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Hi,
I have changed my 570es for a 790es and I am very pleased with image in HD or 4K. Image is very improved respect to my last projector.
But, regarding 3d, I think Sony has taken a huge step backwards. The image is full of defects and there is no parameter in the configuration that improves these defects.
I have attached some pics taken behind glasses to show how bad ghosting and crosstalk is in this unit. Actually, issues are worst in real image, as they have crosstalk and ghosting in left and right eye, and my pictures are showing only one on them. Also, real image is more brigther and annoying.
Images are not representative of the projector's image quality in terms of brightness, contrast, focus, or sharpness. I have only focused on making the "double image" effect look good in all 3D movies.
I contacted Sony through my dealer and the answers I receive are if I have the glasses on, if they are Sony's or not, if I have touched the brightness or the contrast ...
Finally, my vendor has offered to test the demo unit they have and we have verified that the image in that unit is as bad in 3D as it is in my unit.
View attachment 3097462
View attachment 3097463 View attachment 3097464 View attachment 3097465 View attachment 3097466

Thnak you.
I will have a look on my 760 when I get a chance, but I think this shows that as time moves on, 3D is definitely an afterthought now. Even in these devices.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
The 915 on 100 is louder than the 600 on high. I have not yet spun a 3D disc on the 915. On the 600, that would put the lamp into high mode. I hope it doesn't lock the 915 into 100% laser.

In other news, I found that of all my discs, only Passengers is real 4K with HDR. My other 4K discs are upscaled, sigh. So I watched Passengers and it looked fabulous.

Finally, I found that I like more Reality Creation on the 915 than on the 600. Like Sharpness, I barely used RC on the 600. But on the 915 it provides a clearer image to my eyes cranked up to 50 or so.
Hi,
View attachment 3097462
View attachment 3097463 View attachment 3097464 View attachment 3097465 View attachment 3097466

Thnak you.
I can advise the 3D image on my 915ES (790ES in EU) is considerably better than my previous 300ES. Brighter image with no cross talk. Keep after Sony to replace or fix your unit.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Having recently watched Passengers in 4K, last night I watched it in 3D for comparison. I saw no ghosting/crosstalk at all on the 915, and I was looking for it. I did see a fair amount of flicker from the active glasses.

The 915 did indeed go to maximum laser brightness for 3D, which made the fan loud. I backed it down to 85 and nudged up the video brightness a bit and the image looked fine and the fan noise was reduced.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Having recently watched Passengers in 4K, last night I watched it in 3D for comparison. I saw no ghosting/crosstalk at all on the 915, and I was looking for it. I did see a fair amount of flicker from the active glasses.

The 915 did indeed go to maximum laser brightness for 3D, which made the fan loud. I backed it down to 85 and nudged up the video brightness a bit and the image looked fine and the fan noise was reduced.
Thank you. I’m going to try Passengers and I will tell you.
What glasses are you using?
Sony says that it is possible the issue is about glasses, even when I say them I use with my 570 whitout problem.

381 - 400 of 531 Posts