AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
My point was, I did not see any problems with disc degradation.
LOL, I know. But several of the HD DVDs I had before I passed them all on were starting to go weird under the transparent surface.
It could be how they are stored or something.

·
Registered
30,735 Posts
LOL, I know. But several of the HD DVDs I had before I passed them all on were starting to go weird under the transparent surface.
Mine are in their cases, stored on a shelf in my attached garage. Low of 65 in winter and high of 78 in summer.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
There was a period in optical media history, where the "bubbles/dimples" created by the mastering process and laser encoding, could very easily degrade to the point of the reader's laser failing to properly read the media. Burner media for use in our optical media writers was impacted to a greater degree, and if you recall, we used to choose various brands of media manufacture in an effort to get the most stable and consistent performance from optical media. Personally, I never had any optical media degrade, from the very first CD media, thru to the BD-RW we used to use for content mastering.

This conversation, just got me thinking of how we first mastered digital audio to 3/4" video tape using something like the Sony 601 PCM processor, which converted the stereo analog audio signal to 44.1 PCM and stored the digital data as a video signal. :) I still have 3/4" video tape PCM masters, but the hardware is long gone. My kids look at me talking about this tech, they way they do when they see an AT&T Princess rotary dial phone. :)

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Well the HD-DVD player and disc work through with the avr connected to a plasma tv, but not the 915ES. Are there any settings on the pj I could adjust?

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Well the HD-DVD player and disc work through with the avr connected to a plasma tv, but not the 915ES. Are there any settings on the pj I could adjust?
If you can, try changing the EDID mode for the HDMI port on your projector. I have to do this on my JVC RS540 to get HD DVD to display.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Has anybody experienced a brightness drop or a defective IRIS so far?

I try to understand if the 790 has the same problems like the 760 in the past.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
The day before yesterday my replaced VW790 started with very audible clicking sounds - and I have never heard them before. I got the projector replaced after only two weeks since the HDMI card was broken and the replacement unit has been working as expected for almost 350 hours. And the evening before yesterday it started with very audible clicks every time going from SDR to HDR and every time a clear gain shift happened. I have never heard those clicks before - only in startup and close-down never during a movie as off now. The projector seems to work properly, no dim picture or so, just the annoying clicks and of course worried that something is going to break or on its way to break.

Since 760 has encountered similar problems with iris and so forth I suspect the same has happened with my VW790 :(.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
975 Posts
The day before yesterday my replaced VW790 started with very audible clicking sounds - and I have never heard them before. I got the projector replaced after only two weeks since the HDMI card was broken and the replacement unit has been working as expected for almost 350 hours. And the evening before yesterday it started with very audible clicks every time going from SDR to HDR and every time a clear gain shift happened. I have never heard those clicks before - only in startup and close-down never during a movie as off now. The projector seems to work properly, no dim picture or so, just the annoying clicks and of course worried that something is going to break or on its way to break.

Since 760 has encountered similar problems with iris and so forth I suspect the same has happened with my VW790 :(.

Any ideas?
I suspect your suspicion is correct. I would just call them back and tell them that with the new unit you now have clicking so "is it within spec?". At the very least if they tell you that since you aren't observing anything have them document the issue so that if it fails (completely) you can get it replaced in or out of warranty.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts

Any ideas?
Yes, as has been said, your iris is just starting its journey to getting louder and then stuck. Hopefully not in the closed position.
I am sorry to say but, for anyone who thought the 790 was a true update from the 760in anyway, is just wrong. Literally nothing is new or improved.
I hope it gets fixed quickly for you.
They are usually pretty good but us 760 users are still waiting for a mythical update that is supposed to prevent these iris issues and I guess you 790 owners will need the same treatment. We are not holding our breath at the current moment however. So best to get the hardware (lens) replaced ASAP is my advice.

Oh and teh clicking shouldn't be happening at start up and shut down either, but that is the usually the first sign something is going bad anyway.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I suspect your suspicion is correct. I would just call them back and tell them that with the new unit you now have clicking so "is it within spec?". At the very least if they tell you that since you aren't observing anything have them document the issue so that if it fails (completely) you can get it replaced in or out of warranty.
Uh uh, Don't even give them the lever to even say it is in spec. No clicking should happen inside the unit when the iris is in operation.
It is faulty. End of and it will only realistically get worse. Get it fixed ASAP. :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Uh uh, Don't even give them the lever to even say it is in spec. No clicking should happen inside the unit when the iris is in operation.
It is faulty. End of and it will only realistically get worse. Get it fixed ASAP. :)
US support is pretty good about not being the insurance company "we're here to deny your claim" and you can have a good conversation with them. I agree that it should go back. My point is that if they say as long as you aren't seeing anything then all's good then at the very least it should be documented and I would have that conversation with them now. That is, if it fails out of warranty you will cover it since it started while under warranty. At least that is what I did. I had other issues as well so it went in anyways but it is always best to get them to document something when they won't take it back.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
US support is pretty good about not being the insurance company "we're here to deny your claim" and you can have a good conversation with them. I agree that it should go back. My point is that if they say as long as you aren't seeing anything then all's good then at the very least it should be documented and I would have that conversation with them now. That is, if it fails out of warranty you will cover it since it started while under warranty. At least that is what I did. I had other issues as well so it went in anyways but it is always best to get them to document something when they won't take it back.
Agreed.
UK support is generally very good too, but I find not giving them ammunition to even state that it might be okay when it plainly isn't, is a prudent tack to take.
Yes, get it at least documented whilst warranty is active so the evidence is there. This clicking requires a fix however and they should have no quibble in it needing to go back for repair.

Reactions: jqmn

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Is there a recommendation to avoid iris death? Just disable dynamic iris and leave it wide open? I could never decide whether I liked dynamic iris anyway.
Appreciate why you are asking, but we shouldn't have to forego something, especially at this price level.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
I predict it ends well. Maybe you have to ship to Universal Radio

I think the only model SXRD projector I had with an iris was the VW60 and I couldn't stand it and left if off at all times.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Appreciate why you are asking, but we shouldn't have to forego something, especially at this price level.
^^^^^^ This.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I predict it ends well. Maybe you have to ship to Universal Radio

I think the only model SXRD projector I had with an iris was the VW60 and I couldn't stand it and left if off at all times.
He is in Sweden so that would be a long haul! I suspect it will to to Tilburg instead. ;)

There is nowt wrong with their algo's or how they operate, they have simply cheaped out too much on the manufacture of the standard 4K lenses.

421 - 440 of 531 Posts