AVS Forum banner

6741 - 6760 of 11011 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m adkins /forum/post/18890090

hi rob, I live in a tropical country and was wondering if the surrounds on your CHT 15Q models , foam surrounds? Are they now tropicalized to avoid melting the surrounds after a few years of use? This happens to almost all speakers w/ foam surrounds, or do they just look like foam surrounds but actually is a rubber surround?

thanks in advance

The CHT-Q series utilizes a treated foam surround.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks rob for the info, you mean it is designed to withstand humidity and heat for a long time?

is it also normal for the subwoofer amplifier to be reasonaby hot when in standby mode?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m adkins /forum/post/18894352

thanks rob for the info, you mean it is designed to withstand humidity and heat for a long time?

is it also normal for the subwoofer amplifier to be reasonaby hot when in standby mode?

The foam may eventually break down, but not until after many years of service. The back panel may still be warm as there is still power going through the unit in standby.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleksnes74 /forum/post/18891442

Good evening.

I have a setup consisting of ha Grace m902 dac/preamp, Wavac MD-300B amplifier, Avantgarde Uno speakers (which each have a active 2x10" sub) and 2 DD-18 subs.

I wish to run the signal from the preamp to the DD-18 subs and then to the velodyne bass section so that Velodynes play from 80hz and below while the smaller Avantgarde subs takes the signal from the high-pass out on the velodynes and play from 80hz and up (to about 200hz where the horns take over).

I can not get this to work since the high-pass outputs on the DD-18 is to weak. It does not give a strong enough signal out and the velodyne subs plays weaker than the horns and the DD-18 even if I have the volume on full on the Avantgarde subs. If I use the thru-output on the Velodynes the level is fine, but then the Avantgarde subs play all the way down in frequency also which I do not want.

Is there a way to increase the output level on the Velodyne high.pass outputs? My warranty has expired so I don´t mind changing components inside if that is necessary.

Best regards,

Fleksnes

The signal strength (voltage) should be virtually identical between the output and the thru-put. The only difference between the two outputs is a passive high pass filter that is removing the low bass. The only significant variation in signal should be the frequencies output and not the intensity.

The signal strength of the outputs is tied to the input signal supplied. If you need more signal intensity on the output, you need to increase the input signal strength. This will in turn increase the signal passed through the output jacks. You will then need to adjust the subwoofer's volume control down to compensate for the increased pre-amp signal strength.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Rob, does the DD-18 use a foam or rubber surround? I too live in a hot, humid, country. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsi /forum/post/18894716

Hi Rob, does the DD-18 use a foam or rubber surround? I too live in a hot, humid, country. Thanks!

The Digital Drive series utilizes a rubberized surround.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cool! No worries of crumbling in time, thanks Rob!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just wondering if anyone could help. Have a Velodyne cht 12 hooked up to a Denon 4803 and it cuts out randomly during blu ray movies only. Sub set at around 10 o'clock and Denon boosted +6. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 /forum/post/18896805

Just wondering if anyone could help. Have a Velodyne cht 12 hooked up to a Denon 4803 and it cuts out randomly during blu ray movies only. Sub set at around 10 o'clock and Denon boosted +6. Any ideas?

Are you using a "y-splitter" into the sub(using both L and R inputs on the sub)? Is the power switch on the back set to "auto"?

If you're not using a "y-splitter"(you should), and the power switch on the back is set to"auto",your sub might shutting off when the input signal level is too low. Otherwise, I'd suspect the cable going from the Dennon to the sub.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 /forum/post/18897153

Using y splitter and the sub is set to auto.also have set it to always be on and same result.

If you replay the movie at the same place the sound went off,does it go off again,or is it really random? Just to be sure, I'd try another cable from Dennon to sub(that would be the easiest and cheapest fix). Does it only do it on Blue-Ray's,not any other sources(cd's,tv,non-BR dvd's)?

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 /forum/post/18897328

If you replay the movie at the same place the sound went off,does it go off again,or is it really random? Just to be sure, I'd try another cable from Dennon to sub(that would be the easiest and cheapest fix). Does it only do it on Blue-Ray's,not any other sources(cd's,tv,non-BR dvd's)?

Not sure when it actualy turns off as the floor standing speakers seem to mask it when it happens. It definately happens during blu rays only. havent tried a new lead because it works fine with other sources.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 /forum/post/18897562

Not sure when it actualy turns off as the floor standing speakers seem to mask it when it happens. It definately happens during blu rays only. havent tried a new lead because it works fine with other sources.

If you play a regular dvd in your Blue-ray player,does it happen? Just wondering if it could be the Blue-ray player. I don't think it's the sub,but you should ask Pete or Rob. You can contact them on this forum or call them at Velodyne Product Support @408-465-2851

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 /forum/post/18897595

If you play a regular dvd in your Blue-ray player,does it happen? Just wondering if it could be the Blue-ray player.

Never played a standard dvd in the blu ray player.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse /forum/post/18894584

The signal strength (voltage) should be virtually identical between the output and the thru-put. The only difference between the two outputs is a passive high pass filter that is removing the low bass. The only significant variation in signal should be the frequencies output and not the intensity.

The signal strength of the outputs is tied to the input signal supplied. If you need more signal intensity on the output, you need to increase the input signal strength. This will in turn increase the signal passed through the output jacks. You will then need to adjust the subwoofer's volume control down to compensate for the increased pre-amp signal strength.

Thanks for your answer. One more question: How far up in frequency does the DD-18 play well? Will they cope with playing up to around 200hz to where the horns take over? In that case I could choose not to use the Avantgarde subs at all, but only the Velodynes. What do you think?

Best regards,

Fleksnes

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleksnes74 /forum/post/18898203

Thanks for your answer. One more question: How far up in frequency does the DD-18 play well? Will they cope with playing up to around 200hz to where the horns take over? In that case I could choose not to use the Avantgarde subs at all, but only the Velodynes. What do you think?

Best regards,

Fleksnes

The DD-18 will play up to 120Hz at plus or minus 3dB.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 /forum/post/18896805

If the sub is cutting out during bass passages in the movie, then turn the boost down. It is possible you are overloading the inputs. Blue Ray discs tend to be mixed with a hot bass track, combine this with a boosted LFE signal and you can easily overload the inputs. You might also check the Blue Ray player's settings, some of them have separate LFE controls.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse /forum/post/18898908

If the sub is cutting out during bass passages in the movie, then turn the boost down. It is possible you are overloading the inputs. Blue Ray discs tend to be mixed with a hot bass track, combine this with a boosted LFE signal and you can easily overload the inputs. You might also check the Blue Ray player's settings, some of them have separate LFE controls.

Checked the players settings and nothing has been touched and no separate controls.Curts suggestion was 9-10 o'clock on the sub and +6 on the denon. If i turn down the boost should i still leave the settings on the sub the same or leave the boost and turn down the sub.

6741 - 6760 of 11011 Posts