AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a laptop from my office with W2K loaded and it links to my office network. I also have a wireless G network at home and want to use my pc-card adapter to linkup. Do I need do set up a dual-boot on it or is there a way to do it during log on? Thanks

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Boot is irrelevant - you need to setup the proper network connections. You'll "Login" to the local machine [i.e., like you probably do right now from home but disconnected from the network]. Then you'll get a connection to the internet via the wireless network connection.

First issue is security - does your office have stuff locked down? I.E., I work for a fin svcs firm, and we use proxy servers to route all traffic. Every time I bring it home, I have to disable the proxy server.

Do you use the wireless at work? If so, you shouldn't have to do anything - it should be open & play.

If you use a wired adapter at work, you may have to setup another network connection using the wizard. Can't quite remember - been a while since I dealt with W2K. The install disk for the wireless may have all the proper wizard stuff on it. You need to make sure you're admin on the box in order to run all this properly. Most companies allow this, but my company doesn't give that much power to employees.

BTW, if your company uses Exchange and you use OUtlook to get at your email, I don't think you'll be able to get your latest email unless your company has some form of VPN for employee's home use.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Boot is irrelevant - you need to setup the proper network connections. You'll "Login" to the local machine [i.e., like you probably do right now from home but disconnected from the network]. Then you'll get a connection to the internet via the wireless network connection.

First issue is security - does your office have stuff locked down? I.E., I work for a fin svcs firm, and we use proxy servers to route all traffic. Every time I bring it home, I have to disable the proxy server.

Do you use the wireless at work? If so, you shouldn't have to do anything - it should be open & play.

If you use a wired adapter at work, you may have to setup another network connection using the wizard. Can't quite remember - been a while since I dealt with W2K. The install disk for the wireless may have all the proper wizard stuff on it. You need to make sure you're admin on the box in order to run all this properly. Most companies allow this, but my company doesn't give that much power to employees.

BTW, if your company uses Exchange and you use OUtlook to get at your email, I don't think you'll be able to get your latest email unless your company has some form of VPN for employee's home use. Either that, or you'll have to use Outlook Web Access [i.e., not outlook, but IE probably pointing at https://exchange.yourcompany.com ]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been using a similar setup for years. With the wireless card no problems, I just installed it per instructions with DHCP and no problem. When at home, use a VPN connection to get to the office or don't run it when just surfing.

Regards, Kent

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I can connect to the internet fine but, I can't access my other home computers or networked printers. I do have VPN and Proxies to deal with. So, I guess what I really want to do is access the home files and print from my home networked printer.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
once you're VPNed in, you're "tunneled" into your office network. Hence as you cannot see your home PCs from work, you won't be able to from VPN.

There might be a way to create a software network bridge to cross these 2, but in W2K that's beyond my knowledge. That's what I'd research in order to do that.

The other thing could be if your printer is directly attached to your router. That might be the only local box your laptop could see over VPN as it's obviously got to pass traffic through that. I'm literally about to do that this weekend with my printer [move from hanging off a PC to hanging off my SMC router]. I can let you know if this allows my work laptop to print from home.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have to launch VPN all the time. I can access the internet with or without it but, the local home network still eludes me. I think it has something to do with my log in. Because I log into the company domain, doesn't that prohibit me from logging on to my home workgroup? I tried to change that log in once and it blew up my office log in. Any suggestions?

You idea of the printer off the router sounds interesting. I always thought you needed a seperate printer server. Look forward to hearing the results.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
You can get HTTP w/o any issues by just connecting to your home network then removing the proxy server from the LAN connections, but that just lets you hit the 'net. You can't see any company servers or pull up your exchange server. If you use a pop/smtp server for email with outlook as the front end, then you're not actually using a centralized exchange server for email, and you wouldn't need the VPN.

When you say you "login to the company domain", do you mean at the login screen or via VPN? If you mean login screen, then you're actually logging into an offline version as you're obviously not actually on the domain when disconnected. Changing that will blow it up, and there's no way to correct it.

I'm pretty sure the only way to cross domains is by setting up a network bridge. I have W2K on my work laptop, but that's at work. I'd let you know the deal tomorrow, but I have tickets to the Giants/Marlins playoff game tomorrow and am cutting out of work early. I'll check it out on Thu and let you know.

As this isn't really an HTPC issue, I'll PM you with the details unless I hear from someone else on the board that they want to hear this too and prefer putting this on the board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.