AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Vendor
29,697 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I wonder if it will even come close to the Panasonic or Samsung in black levels this year. Last year's model was a great value aside from black levels, even after tweaking.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard /forum/post/21760655

I wonder if it will even come close to the Panasonic or Samsung in black levels this year. Last year's model was a great value aside from black levels, even after tweaking.

They claim black levels will be 35-40% better this year

·
Vendor
29,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The black levels are better than last year, however last year's panel's not not good in that exact department. Overall the LG tested well, however blacks are not as good as Panasonic's.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/21762729

The black levels are better than last year, however last year's panel's not not good in that exact department. Overall the LG tested well, however blacks are not as good as Panasonic's.

How does it compare to a st30?

·
Registered
97 Posts
According to LG, they've changed the phosphor characteristics. Hopefully this will mean no more terrible image retention; looking forward to the review.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel /forum/post/21763357

How does it compare to a st30?

After the Set_Up Panel tweak, the LG has the same black level or better than the ST30. The LG also has a better picture in my opinion. The tweak made a huge difference for me, as I was unhappy with the set prior to it.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard /forum/post/21766057

After the Set_Up Panel tweak, the LG has the same black level or better than the ST30. The LG also has a better picture in my opinion. The tweak made a huge difference for me, as I was unhappy with the set prior to it.

How did you find the glare to be?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel /forum/post/21769681

How did you find the glare to be?

It barely does anything to stop direct on glare. I watch at night and I just close the window shades when watching during the day.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard /forum/post/21769949

It barely does anything to stop direct on glare. I watch at night and I just close the window shades when watching during the day.

What about room lights? Would I have to turn them off to watch?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 /forum/post/21763636

According to LG, they've changed the phosphor characteristics. Hopefully this will mean no more terrible image retention; looking forward to the review.

Hi Dave

Since lowering the MLL by doing the tweaks we have basically eliminated any noticable IR, so if LG have indeed a achieved a 30-40% lower black level it's possible they've done the same.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Interested here as well.

I love the color on the LG, but my black levels have risen again, and now that I have the tv mounted I cannot adjust the pots easily anymore.

I figure if this year's ST50 or new LG are leaps and bounds better for a good price, i'll upgrade. Would love the VT but the price is too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I want to know

Does the 50PM6700 has the anti-reflective panel or is it like a mirror??

also how much better is this PM6700 in terms of PQ and black levels then PA6500 series (if you ignore the 3D feature)??

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldman5 /forum/post/21814653

I want to know

Does the 50PM6700 has the anti-reflective panel or is it like a mirror??

also how much better is this PM6700 in terms of PQ and black levels then PA6500 series (if you ignore the 3D feature)??

According to LG, the difference between the pa6500 and pm6700 is 3D and internet and the 6700 has 1 extra hdmi port. But neither has the TruBlack AR filter.

Never seen a 6700 IRL but the 6500 I saw had bad glare.

1 - 20 of 352 Posts