AVS Forum banner

3961 - 3979 of 3979 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is a bit finicky, I have had trouble in the past with Amazon app freezing up. More concern to me lately has been the unit locking up while playing blu ray disks after a while. It also must be unplugged to unlock it. It has some age on it but it has not been used that much. Hope it lasts a while longer until the 4K players are cheaper.
I can't remember the last time mine had trouble with a disc, but I play mostly DVDs.

Talking about the Amazon app, I've never had any trouble with launching and basic usage, but very recently the behavior of the "More Like This on Prime" and "More Like This" buttons has changed. For the worse:

It used to work like this: If you were in a subgenre movie and you hit "More Like This on Prime", you'd get a list of other movies in the same subgenre. E.G. if you were in Friday the 13th, you'd get a list of other slasher movies, mostly '80s, and mostly American-made. Same for conspiracy movies, same for Eurocrime movies, and just about any category you could think of. Very useful those on a subgenre kick.

It now works like this: When you hit "More Like This on Prime", you get a list of 32 Amazon Prime orginals, leading off with The Man in the High Castle and ending with Goliath.

Has Amazon's "More Like This on Prime" gotten borked for anybody else?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The end is nigh:(

I've gotten this message on launch of the Amazon App a few times now, starting about - guessing - a week or two ago.

This service will no longer be available on this device starting 9-26-19
Some quick digging suggests a major service upgrade is going to effect the the Old and the Non-Android.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The end is nigh:(

I've gotten this message on launch of the Amazon App a few times now, starting about - guessing - a week or two ago.

Some quick digging suggests a major service upgrade is going to effect the the Old and the Non-Android.
Amazon is no longer supporting its apps on Sony and some Panasonic devices. Guess they want everyone to buy Firesticks. That said, Amazon is offering $25 credit toward purchase of Firestick. Amazon forums are aware of this but Amazon isn't making it easy to collect. I had to be on chat with Amazon about 30 minutes and literally 5 different reps before I got a supervisor that knew what I was talking about. They emailed me a link with a code that I used for the credit. I got the newest Firestick available for $40 minus $25. $15 not a bad deal. Hope this helps! Troy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, here's a piece with the Sony situation, from https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1564653600,

Non-Android Sony TVs

Before Google’s Android, Sony TVs were running a linux-based platform that offered access to a handful of apps. As the company switched its attention to Android, this platform started losing apps and features. The YouTube app has already been removed and as of September 26, 2019, the Amazon Prime Video app will stop working. Amazon explains that it is "upgrading its service" but neglects to comment on the technical details.
2013 was the year Sony started transitioning from the Opera platform to the Android platform. And unfortunately, the S790 -- even the 2nd year 2013 version I have -- is an Opera device.

Guess they want everyone to buy Firesticks. That said, Amazon is offering $25 credit toward purchase of Firestick.
I was hoping to limp into 2020 and be able to check out the CES new player announcements in January, or, see how the Playstation 5 turns out later.

But a stop-gap for Amazon streaming is needed, and the Firestick won't cut it. I need an ethernet connection and an optical audio out. I'd love to just get the topline Roku, but no optical there :(

Amazon streaming stop-gap suggestions welcome, but in the meantime I'm saving for when the Panasonic or one of the Sony optical-equipped blu-ray players goes in for a deal.

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
I just sold 2 Fire TV boxes on eBay that had optical and Ethernet. Search for "2nd generation". Or you can get a more recent model BD play whose apps still work for around $40. Just be aware that Sony players favor coax rather than optical. So be prepared to get a coax to optical converter as well, about $12.

I am curious why hardwired ethernet is required in your case. I've had many, many streaming devices over the years and wifi has always been more than adequate. If you have no wifi, a cheap repeater is a good investment. I paid $10 for my last Moca adapter with built in wifi. Several of those give me strong wifi in every room of all 3 stories of my house.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That Fire TV above (thanks for the great suggestion @mdavej) is probably what I'll do as a stop-gap, or else a Roku 4. This is a second room situation with a book cabinet pretending as an entertainment center, and so space is a factor. I really hate adding a device; or replacing one device with two. Would really rather just replace the S790 wholesale with a new BD player, but am still sorting out the market. I really like the bluetooth headphone feature some Sonys and Samsungs have = handy for podcast mode. Late LGs are Amazon-less, so they're a scratch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Roku has the remote headphone feature. Seems to be outpacing the Amazon products. Apps and interface.
Keeping our BDP790. The little Roku is also a good vacation traveler.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have a Sony BDP S790. Everything works great but I have one question. Is it possible to play ALAC an FLAC files using the USB slot with an external hard drive? I think this player doesn't support lossless files from the USB but not sure? Any info would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The media player on these things is pretty dated.
Also important to know is that MKV files need to have some default muxing settings disabled just to play back properly.

If you can find any other way to play your media, you'd be happier than using the S790.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What is the HDMI jack plate metal (gold, nickel?) on BDP-S790? I am trying to figure out what HDMI cable to use, and have been told that the same plate metal should be used as in the player, because with different metals galvanization may start which will cause corrosion in the lesser metal.

I understand that generally gold plate is the best to use for HDMI cables, but it also wears down easily if plugging and unplugging often. Is nickel plate good enough?

3961 - 3979 of 3979 Posts