AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 882 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/150#post_23329995

Well, last year's 844 is still available for sale so I did have that choice. In terms of a theoretical "new" 844, it would depend on the specs. A locally dimmed 80" would have been my first choice had it been available. But it's not. So the odds are that I won't have viewed a "new" 844 as enough of an upgrade over the 732 set I had.

I saw the 857 at CES in January and liked what I saw. I know a lot of people don't like the edge lit direction the industry has gone but I can't say that the back lighting on my 732 ever did anything for me except give me dark corners.

Have you compared it to the Vizio 80 inch M801D with smart diming? Sure would like to see how the Sharp 857 compares to the Vizio M801d

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've not seen this set. Whether its called "Super Bright," "Smart Dimming," or "Micro dimming," no edge lit set can do true local dimming. I think all the sets in this class offer pretty similar performance. This looks closer in spec to the 757 series rather than the 857.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23436214

I've not seen this set. Whether its called "Super Bright," "Smart Dimming," or "Micro dimming," no edge lit set can do true local dimming. I think all the sets in this class offer pretty similar performance. This looks closer in spec to the 757 series rather than the 857.

There is a Vizio Razor thread on this forum about the M801d but have not seen anyone do a comparison with the Sharp 857 or 844

·
Registered
12 Posts
seems there are some good deals to be had on the 844. from a PQ standpoint, would it be better to purchase one of those rather than the 857? not sure how much i care about 3D, especially if its not passive...

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23435697

Try diff AV Mode, just make sure to not use dynamic.

Also, check for sharpness to set it 0 to 2

BTW - any lower size TV will be looking more detailed vs larger size as you look at the same distance - make sure you are really need 80"

There is no other but 857 in 80", so what do you compare to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23435965

Setting AV mode to MOVIE, setting enhanced gamet to STANDARD, and motion enhancement to no higher than 120 high will make a big difference. I found the motion enhancement really made the picture grainy.

In general the picture is similar to other sets I've seen. Black levels are good but not great. Overall I'm happy with the set.

Mike, Robbin: thanks for the tips.

I stepped back, about 8 feet from the screen, it was still bad when I was there. I will try the setting you guys suggested. My wife was completely not sold on this model due to yesterday's visit

EZ: The BB I went (Tracy, CA) did not have Vizio M801d to compare. I'll try different BB around.

Right now, my alternative is the Sammy 75-F7100. It's 5" smaller and more expensive too. Not necessarily my ideal size and price.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spofca  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23436735

Mike, Robbin: thanks for the tips.

I stepped back, about 8 feet from the screen, it was still bad when I was there. I will try the setting you guys suggested. My wife was completely not sold on this model due to yesterday's visit

EZ: The BB I went (Tracy, CA) did not have Vizio M801d to compare. I'll try different BB around.

Right now, my alternative is the Sammy 75-F7100. It's 5" smaller and more expensive too. Not necessarily my ideal size and price.

Costco has the 80 inch Vizio M801D

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prjct86Man  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23436509

seems there are some good deals to be had on the 844. from a PQ standpoint, would it be better to purchase one of those rather than the 857? not sure how much i care about 3D, especially if its not passive...

Many people believe the 844 is better than the 857 because the 844 is backlit. If the deal is good, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23436860

Many people believe the 844 is better than the 857 because the 844 is backlit. If the deal is good, I'd say go for it.

So I found a 844 display model that looks to be in excellent condition for $2750. Is that a smoking deal good enough to grab it? Seems to be a good deal to me.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cutter  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23439082

So I found a 844 display model that looks to be in excellent condition for $2750. Is that a smoking deal good enough to grab it? Seems to be a good deal to me.

Sorry, I have no idea on 844 pricing. Maybe there's some information in the thread for that set. If you haven't already, make sure to read the comments that owner's have made on the 844 in that thread.

I never shopped last year's model line. In the end, if you like the set and feel good about the price, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23439189

Sorry, I have no idea on 844 pricing. Maybe there's some information in the thread for that set. If you haven't already, make sure to read the comments that owner's have made on the 844 in that thread.

I never shopped last year's model line. In the end, if you like the set and feel good about the price, that's all that matters.

Very true, it seems like the biggest issue was with the edge lit design of the newer 857 with Sharp trying to cut costs & save money. I've been looking at both of them. I wa just hoping that some of the owners of the new 857 had been comparing the 844 also.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Looking at the 70" 775vs857 vs Sam 75" F6400 vs 65" F7100. My main concern is PQ! Sharpness minus the grainy picture. My second is 3-D because of my sons. I will sacrifice screen size for PQ. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23439392

Looking at the 70" 775vs857 vs Sam 75" F6400 vs 65" F7100. My main concern is PQ! Sharpness minus the grainy picture. My second is 3-D because of my sons. I will sacrifice screen size for PQ. Thanks!

I would check to see if you can still find a floor model of the Sharp 70" Elite. It's got stunning 3D, and better overall picture quality than any of the sets you just listed.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cutter  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23439243

Very true, it seems like the biggest issue was with the edge lit design of the newer 857 with Sharp trying to cut costs & save money. I've been looking at both of them. I wa just hoping that some of the owners of the new 857 had been comparing the 844 also.

I think there are two 857 owners in this thread that got them as warranty replacements for an 844. Check for their comments.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23440738

I would check to see if you can still find a floor model of the Sharp 70" Elite. It's got stunning 3D, and better overall picture quality than any of the sets you just listed.

Very true!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just purchased the LC-70LE857U from Best Buy in Annapolis, MD. They matched the Amazon price and waived the taxes. Free delivery next week.

The location demands a matte screen, so it was between the Sharp 857, 757, and the Sony KDL-70R550a.

The Sony was tempting for the price, but I wasn't thrilled by it. I really wish Sony had a higher-end 70" model. I have loved every XBR I have purchased.

I did find the silver bezel of the 857 to be distracting, but I am hoping I can learn to live with it. I almost bought the 757 for the black bezel alone, but finally decided to go with flagship model.

I am looking forward to trying out some of the posted settings on Thursday when the TV arrives.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Can someone tell me if there is a problem with the full pixel setting on this TV when watching a bluray. Some review said there was digital noise on the top portion when watching a bluray and that only makes sense when watching a cable channel.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23458428

Can someone tell me if there is a problem with the full pixel setting on this TV when watching a bluray. Some review said there was digital noise on the top portion when watching a bluray and that only makes sense when watching a cable channel.

Some of the motion enhancement options on this set can make video noise that's already there more visible. But I don't think I've seen what you are describing. Can you provide a link to the review?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I received my LC-70LE857 three days ago. I bought it from Paulstv.com. Great price and great experience. I'm still playing with the settings, and so far I find its PQ better (but not dramatically better) than my 6-year old 72" Toshiba DLP.

I connected my DirecTV receiver to the Sharp via HDMI, and I want to route the sound from the Sharp's digital output to my Sony A/V receiver's digital input for the surround mode. So far, I haven't been able to out the digital sound.

Is there a setting on the Sharp that enables digital output while disabling its own speakers (or even reducing the speakers to 0) ?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgecortes  /t/1450315/official-2013-sharp-lc-xxle857-series-thread/210#post_23459317

I received my LC-70LE857 three days ago. I bought it from Paulstv.com. Great price and great experience. I'm still playing with the settings, and so far I find its PQ better (but not dramatically better) than my 6-year old 72" Toshiba DLP.

I connected my DirecTV receiver to the Sharp via HDMI, and I want to route the sound from the Sharp's digital output to my Sony A/V receiver's digital input for the surround mode. So far, I haven't been able to out the digital sound.

Is there a setting on the Sharp that enables digital output while disabling its own speakers (or even reducing the speakers to 0) ?

I just ran an optical cable from the TV to the HT receiver, and turned the volume of the TV spkrs to zero. Works fine.

WRT PQ, I believe that once calibrated, the 857 outperforms the LaserVue DLP that I previously owned. Interestingly, one of the big arguments of people putting touting LCD over DLP is off-axis viewing. The 70-857 being my first LCD, I have not found it any better. With DLP, brightness suffers as you move away from the center. With LCD, color saturation suffers. My viewing position is 15ft from the screen. If I move 6ft to the side, the difference in color is noticeable if you're paying attention. I haven't done the math to figure out what that angle is, but I'm pretty sure it's less than advertised. Thankfully this is not an issue in my room.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi i am thinking about getting the 857 and i plan to use it to mainly watch hockey . Does anyone else watch hockey on this set and how is it?

Also can you go to any website with the web browser or are you limited.? me intention was to get the nhl gamecenter package online so i could be able to watch 4 games at once

thanks

221 - 240 of 882 Posts