AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Recently purchased the 84UB9800. Have noticed certain issues when watching sports (e.g. Rugby World Cup going on now). When the ball is in motion, there is a trail around it.

Also, when playing FIFA on the PS4 a similar problem surfaces. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Is this a defective set?

Also, is there a recommended setting for movies? Those look okay. Hoping to adjust the settings so that the picture pops.

Grateful for any advice. Thank you.
When using your PS4 make sure your in "Game" picture mode and that "TruMotion" in the picture settings menu is set to Off.

·
Registered
313 Posts
add me to the list of owners. Was able to buy a 79UB9800 used off of Craigslist for $2800. Replaces my 1080p projector. I'm a sucker for screen size, and was waiting for a semi-affordable 4k TV at around 80" before I was willing to let go of the projector.

a very n00b question, but how does one update the software/firmware? I don't see anywhere in the settings to be able to check for an update. EDIT: found it in "About This TV"

Says it's now on 05.00.20 but the webOS TV Version says 1.4.0-2308 (afro-ashley). I thought the most recent updates included webOS 2.0?

·
Registered
313 Posts
the unfortunate part of buying the 79UB9800 on craigslist is that it didn't include the Stand Base and I didn't realize that until I returned home.

EDIT: Disregard this message. The seller was able to find the stand fortunately.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Crap! My stand for the 84" is still in its packaging and collecting dust. Can you not mount it? Sounds like you got a good deal either way.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Crap! My stand for the 84" is still in its packaging and collecting dust. Can you not mount it? Sounds like you got a good deal either way.
not easily. I live in an apartment which doesn't use studs in the wall. And even worst, the wall I'd want to mount it to is a "false" wall (very thin) that separates the bedroom and living room. Best to just put it on my TV stand which fortunately is very wide, since I previously had a huge projector screen above it on the wall.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok guys, I can no longer take screen captures using the capture function. The button used to be on the top of the screen, but after the big update, it is now found by pressing the "123/input" button on the remote. It is the icon in the top right corner of the interface that pops up.

Every time I've tried to capture I get a message saying " Screen capture failed. Cannot use capture on this screen". It used to work and put the images in the gallery.

Not that I use this feature often, but curious why it no longer works. Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The 5.00.25 showed up on mine as well this weekend. I don't have automatic updates applied so I'll have to apply it manually. Maybe it's bug-fixes for the prior update? Although I haven't encountered any obvious bugs myself from the last update. Everything has been just fine as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok guys, I can no longer take screen captures using the capture function. The button used to be on the top of the screen, but after the big update, it is now found by pressing the "123/input" button on the remote. It is the icon in the top right corner of the interface that pops up.

Every time I've tried to capture I get a message saying " Screen capture failed. Cannot use capture on this screen". It used to work and put the images in the gallery.
In case anyone is curious too, I figured this out. My Denon receiver (7200WA) upscales everything to 4K. I guess you cannot screen capture a 4K resolution image. When I turned off the upscaling on the Denon, I was once again able to screen capture a DirecTV screen.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The 5.00.25 showed up on mine as well this weekend. I don't have automatic updates applied so I'll have to apply it manually. Maybe it's bug-fixes for the prior update? Although I haven't encountered any obvious bugs myself from the last update. Everything has been just fine as far as I can tell.
Update applied. No visual differences that I've yet seen but WebOS on mine seems snappier. I didn't see much improvement in speed with last update so maybe this fixes that? I do LG included a change-log with these updates so we knew more precisely what was changing/getting updated.

Still lovin' the set regardless. Re-watched Jurassic World and Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D this past weekend after making some more tweaks and both were stunning. I've seen a lot of "meh" comments regarding the 3D for both of these; the authors of those comments need to see it on this (calibrated) set I suppose, because there is nothing "meh" about the 3D in either one on mine. Outstanding 3D and image quality.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, my set also found the update and installed it. I checked around the menus and LG's web site, nothing about what is in the upgrade. That seems a bit odd, but oh well. Still enjoying the TV although it is a pain in the rear to un-mount from the wall then re-mount :( Probably the mounting unit in which I should have bought something better with more flexibility.

Only complaint of the set if truth be told is that there still isn't any decent amount of 4k content. I did re-watch all of Blacklist in 4k though and have to say it was incredible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Found that the colour rendition is much better after the upgrade. A little concerned about banding though. Anyone facing the same problem?

Also, is there a recommended set of calibration settings available for download?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Found that the colour rendition is much better after the upgrade. A little concerned about banding though. Anyone facing the same problem?

Also, is there a recommended set of calibration settings available for download?
Few pages back or so there was a list. I've not tried it though.

Amazon released a few more 4k / HDR titles. Coral reefs are pretty impressive although this set doesn't do HDR. The 4K is still nice though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
LG9800 Series Build Date?

How do we check the Build date for the UB9800 series, am about to order one of these but the retailer says they cannot see the build date but the serial begins with 512 ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
That indicates the build date is December of 2015. :)
RhinoAVS thanks for the reply, I didn't think LG where still manufacturing the 9800 series thought it had been discontinued? got to be worth a shot at with such a recent build date, hopefully any of the problems mentioned in this thread will have been ironed out, as some of the threads seem to suggest for the later Builds? why cant manufacturers just get it right the first time around has to be frustrating for buyers of these expensive Televisions, or is the build date thing just an illusion and the TV panels quality just vary from one batch to the next?

Dale

·
Registered
12 Posts
That indicates the build date is December of 2015. :)
RhinoAVS thanks for the reply, I didn't think LG where still manufacturing the 9800 series thought it had been discontinued? got to be worth a shot at with such a recent build date, hopefully any of the problems mentioned in this thread will have been ironed out, as some of the threads seem to suggest for the later Builds? why cant manufacturers just get it right the first time around has to be frustrating for buyers of these expensive Televisions, or is the build date thing just an illusion and the TV panels quality just vary from one batch to the next?

Dale

1101 - 1120 of 1290 Posts