AVS Forum banner

4681 - 4700 of 6557 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi team! I currently have the KDF-50WE655 and recently just purchased the XBR900B in the 55inch. Now I was thinking of exchanging it for the 65inch however I might not have room in my living room. Does anyone know if Sony will release a 60inch in this model possibly next year? Or even a 60inch 4K in general? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Pffft. I love the speakers on this TV because I don't want to use my 7.1 sound system for every second of every day, and the superb surround effect and booming bass of the TV speakers are an excellent stand-in. You wanna talk simplicity? What's more simple than having great picture AND sound quality in one unit? :D

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
This is my wife's TV. She loves the unclutered room and the sound is excellent, with a subwolfer. My mancave has the 11.1 sound system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a very important question and I hope you knowledgeable people can answer. I'm planning to purchase the Sony XBR-65X900b down the road and was wondering if it can display full 4k @ 60fps from PC like in games? I know it supports HDMI 2.0 but I've heard that some UHD-TV, despite the 2.0, they don't support 4K @60fps from a PC source only from movies like the future UHD Blu-rays. I was wondering you guys who own the set have tested it to be the case.

Thanks!! And God bless!
Is there any updated info on this? [email protected] is a must for me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Is there any updated info on this? [email protected] is a must for me.
Yes.
Please see below from Si.

HDMI Specification Version 2.0 defines a number of new features which can be used with HDMI. None of the features specified in HDMI Specification Version 2.0 are mandatory, so when a product states HDMI 2.0 support, it is necessary to understand which HDMI 2.0 features the product supports; there are no features or capabilities which can be inferred simply because a product states HDMI 2.0 support.
The SiI9679 supports the HDMI Specification Version 2.0 features of 4K50 and 4K60 YCbCr with 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling. The HDMI 1.4-specified modes of 4K24/25/30 in YCbCr 4:2:2 8/10/12 and 4:4:4 8-bit are also supported. MHL 3.0 with resolution up to 4K30 is also supported. In addition, the SiI9679 supports HDCP version 2.2, which is widely believed to be a requirement for use with 4K native content from most content providers.
Regarding your question, the HDMI Specification Version 2.0 does not define the capability of 4K60 YCbCr 4:4:4 with 10-bit color. Such a format would exceed the maximum bandwidth defined in the specification. What are defined are 4K50 and 4K60 with YCbCr/RGB 4:4:4 8-bit, and YCbCr 4:2:2 8/10/12-bit, and YCbCr 4:2:0 8/10/12-bit. The 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 implementations of these modes require the full bandwidth of 18 Gbps, or 594 mcsc, defined in the HDMI Specification Version 2.0.
We make every effort to describe our product capabilities clearly. However, our IC’s are sold to consumer electronic product manufacturers, who provide their own marketing collateral and feature descriptions. Not all of the SiI9679 features are enabled in every product which incorporates one into its design. You should refer to the individual product’s specifications for that information.

Reactions: Geoff D

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Is there some trick to getting 4K mp4s to play error free via the USB ports?

No matter what I do, the video portion plays fine, but about 15 seconds in, audio starts stuttering or drops out entirely... on EVERY single 4K video.

I originally was using a USB 2.0 flash drive, formatted first as NTFS and then as ExFAT. Thinking that the bandwidth of USB 2.0 might be at issue, today I purchased a USB 3.0 flash drive, formatted as FAT32: same problem.

Tried swapping USB ports in case it was a bad port, same issue.

What the heck am I missing???

P.S. No AVR in the equation, only the 65X900B and wireless sub.
I'm asking this question again, as it appears that people in the X850B are also having the same problem and no one in either owners thread seems to have any answer.

Thus far I have been unable to successfully play ANY of the 4K material I have downloaded; only Netflix 4K streaming seems to work.

What is the secret to playing 4K material from USB without the audio stuttering?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Incorrect. On the 55-Inch versions of the 900A AND 900B it is 540p.

The 65-Inch version of the 900A, which I have, is full 1080p 3D and it is the best 3D you will ever find on a 65+inch TV. As I have already stated. Passive > Active.

I can say this because I officially own a 65X900A as well as a 55X900B(bought tonight!). The A hands down trumps the B in 3D. My 55X900B is a Rbedroom TV though and will never see 3D on it.
I was wondering if you could comment on the differences between the x900a and the x900b for picture quality only on 2D. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
New firmware update this morning, pkg2.246AAA. The only thing I see, if my memory is correct, is a Vudu app. I don't think the TV had that before. Anyone have the deets on what else is in the update?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Samsung un78hu9000 vs Sony xbr 79x900b

Anybody recommend one over the other and why?

Thanks for any help trying to make a purchase of one or the other.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yes.
Please see below from Si.

HDMI Specification Version 2.0 defines a number of new features which can be used with HDMI. None of the features specified in HDMI Specification Version 2.0 are mandatory, so when a product states HDMI 2.0 support, it is necessary to understand which HDMI 2.0 features the product supports; there are no features or capabilities which can be inferred simply because a product states HDMI 2.0 support.
The SiI9679 supports the HDMI Specification Version 2.0 features of 4K50 and 4K60 YCbCr with 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling. The HDMI 1.4-specified modes of 4K24/25/30 in YCbCr 4:2:2 8/10/12 and 4:4:4 8-bit are also supported. MHL 3.0 with resolution up to 4K30 is also supported. In addition, the SiI9679 supports HDCP version 2.2, which is widely believed to be a requirement for use with 4K native content from most content providers.
Regarding your question, the HDMI Specification Version 2.0 does not define the capability of 4K60 YCbCr 4:4:4 with 10-bit color. Such a format would exceed the maximum bandwidth defined in the specification. What are defined are 4K50 and 4K60 with YCbCr/RGB 4:4:4 8-bit, and YCbCr 4:2:2 8/10/12-bit, and YCbCr 4:2:0 8/10/12-bit. The 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 implementations of these modes require the full bandwidth of 18 Gbps, or 594 mcsc, defined in the HDMI Specification Version 2.0.
We make every effort to describe our product capabilities clearly. However, our IC’s are sold to consumer electronic product manufacturers, who provide their own marketing collateral and feature descriptions. Not all of the SiI9679 features are enabled in every product which incorporates one into its design. You should refer to the individual product’s specifications for that information.
So does the Sony xbr-65x900b support full 4k @ 60fps?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
So does the Sony xbr-65x900b support full 4k @ 60fps?
If by 'full 4K' you mean anything more than 4:2:0 8-bit @ 60fps, then no, because the B series uses the SiI9679 chip which is detailed in bassplayer's post.

But for 4K content at up to 30p, the chip will support inputs of 4:2:2 8/10/12-bit and 4:4:4 8-bit which is all I'm really bothered about because I'm a movie fan first and foremost so 24p playback is my primary concern. So should 4K BD use something like 10-bit 4:2:2 then these TVs (and even the A series before it) will be absolutely fine for 99.999% of movies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a couple of questions regarding this TV (65x900B):

Is there an easier way to input text? I cant seem to hook up the Bluetooth playstation keyboard to it or any of the google tv remotes.

Does it do dualband wireless A/N simultanously? or just one at a time?

·
Registered
77 Posts

1st the sammy is curved and the glare is really bad especially in the day time. The sammy also has light bleed at the edges. The Sony has the deepest blacks and the colors really pops at you on the sony cuz of the deep blacks. In my opinion the sony 79X900b just have the look of a premium TV. when you look at it u know it's not a cheap tv.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are posts being removed? Had a mail of a post quoting mine, and it's not here.

Anyway here are my settings:

Daytime viewing:

Mode Standard
Backlight 5
Contrast 96
Brightness 46
Colour 55
Hue 0
Colour temp Neutral
Sharpness 60
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 20
Noise Filtering 40
Smooth Graduation Low
Motionflow True Cinema
Film Mode Auto
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Low
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White High
Live Colour Off
White Balance
R Gain 0
G Gain -6
B Gain 0
R Bias -2
G Bias 0
B Bias 0
Detail Enhancer High
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturaliser On

Night time - initiated using Theatre mode with Logitech Harmony Remote (used the learn command with an old remote that has Theatre on it)

Mode Cinema 2
Backlight Min
Contrast 96
Brightness 46
Colour 55
Hue 0
Colour temp Warm 1
Sharpness 60
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 20
Noise Filtering 40
Smooth Graduation Low
Motionflow Clear Plus
Film Mode Auto
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Low
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White High
Live Colour Low
White Balance
R Gain 0
G Gain -6
B Gain 0
R Bias -2
G Bias 0
B Bias 0
Detail Enhancer High
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturaliser On

For 3D Cinema mode I use Impulse to help keep the blacks as low as possible.
are these calibrated settings or just by the eye

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discrete IR Hex Codes

I am looking for discrete IR hex codes for inputs. I have seen a few listed but none are working for my XBR65X900B. Please post the discrete codes.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

The Sony has a better upscaler, which is very important with the paucity of native 4K material

4681 - 4700 of 6557 Posts