AVS Forum banner

4761 - 4780 of 6557 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got the 79" a few days ago, haven't really had a chance to do anything with it yet other than my HD cable box. Tried to see some 4K content, but not sure if I am doing it right, downloaded off youtube using 4K downloader onto a USB stick, and plug it in to USB 1, the TV doesn't really tell me the resolution that I am playing these back at, and the Hercules movie trailer doesn't even look sharp. Do I need something else? Up here in Canada we don't have anyone streaming 4K yet.....
I'm in Victoria, BC and have great 4k streaming on Netflix (not a heck of a lot of variety, but it's there) also some decent 4k streaming with the built in youtube app. I have the 65 inch 900b set, btw.
You do need to have a decent download speed with your provider to get the netflix 4k.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Got the 79" a few days ago, haven't really had a chance to do anything with it yet other than my HD cable box. Tried to see some 4K content, but not sure if I am doing it right, downloaded off youtube using 4K downloader onto a USB stick, and plug it in to USB 1, the TV doesn't really tell me the resolution that I am playing these back at, and the Hercules movie trailer doesn't even look sharp. Do I need something else? Up here in Canada we don't have anyone streaming 4K yet.....
you can try to download something from here: http://demo-uhd3d.com/ (it has to be in .mp4)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't tried playing via USB but when you press display on the remote it doesn't say anything in the top left like 1080p or 2160p?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
When people respond with their information we will start seing trends in the TV's which dates have a better chance of beng better than others for defects. Thanks.
I will buy tomorrow at BB. Do the outside of the cartons show a serial number at least? If they have more than one set in stock, I could then at leastask for the higher and thus later serial number unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will buy tomorrow at BB. Do the outside of the cartons show a serial number at least? If they have more than one set in stock, I could then at leastask for the higher and thus later serial number unit.
Yeah the outside shows the serial number. Here in Los Angeles/Orange County Best Buy only stocks them at their Chino warehouse--none of their stores actually have them. You can will call from their warehouse.

·
Registered
337 Posts
you can try to download something from here: http://demo-uhd3d.com/ (it has to be in .mp4)
Thanks for the link. I will download and see how it goes. Question is where do I download it on to for playback? My DVD player doesn't support 4K, and as mentioned USB doesn't display the resolution when I press display on the remote.
Continue to try via USB... YouTube 4K videos often have a bad compression and the result isn't good, not comparable to a real 4k.. the demos on that site instead are in true 4K.. Trust me, you'll immediately see the difference..

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
does Best Buy sell defective returned units as new to the next sucker? hoping they don't notice?

or are they obligated to sell new?

·
Vendor
26,606 Posts
The intent is not to get get exact trends but to check out an overall build date to see generally if it is good. You can obtain that info, it has been done before on other sets.
You are right, and I personally have not bought into the info in these untested trends.

Every TV is unique and that will never stop. Some sets are better than others every build date of the year, that is not a trend, that is a fact.

·
Registered
773 Posts
does Best Buy sell defective returned units as new to the next sucker? hoping they don't notice?

or are they obligated to sell new?
They just picked up my 70" 850B which originally was sold as new but was in fact used, they replaced it but I had them pick up the replacement due to light bleed.

79" 900b will be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm about to go crazy here.

I have a 65X900B, with all my devices connected directly to the TV (PS4, Apple TV and Wii U). I've connected the TV to my receiver (Pioneer VSX-LX70) with HDMI (port 1) and an optical cable. I have Bravia sync turned on, and I've had the TV control the volume on the receiver and send PCM out since I got it this August.

Some time recently it started complaining and saying that "tv speakers active due to audio system communication failure", and turning on the TV speakers. I can no longer control the volume on the receiver with the remote, and instead of Dolby Digital (for instance), I get a signal that my receiver then uses pro logic on to turn into surround sound.

I've disconnected all devices other than the Apple TV. Taken power from the receiver and disconnected both the optical cable and the HDMI cable, and tried plugging everything back in. Checked all settings on the receiver but I haven't changed anything there.

If I turn off Bravia Sync it no longer complains (and obviously I can no longer control the volume) and doesn't turn TV speakers back on, but it will still not send a DD signal to the receiver. Only Pro Logic.

My guess is that this happened alongside one of the many software updates the TV has gotten.

Anybody else have any suggestions as to what I can try or what might be causing this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Directv 4k on Sony? and other questions

All, I just read about Samsung streaming 4K from Directv. Any word on when we will get the option? I can't find anything in my searches. In the end I don't think it'll matter much once broadcasting occurs in 4K, but it'd be nice to have another source.

Also, I see the native resolution appear on my display when I toggle between inputs but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to display when I'm staying on one input and just changing channels. I've noticed a few times that the picture seems funny and when I check the resolution, ususally its 720 instead of 1080i, but it's a pain to have to toggle between inputs.

Finally, I've read Amazon streaming is set to happen by year end (hopefully not Samsung exclusive) and I also remember there was another source that was being added for 4K but I haven't heard anything since the initial announcement. Has anybody heard anything?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
They just picked up my 70" 850B which originally was sold as new but was in fact used, they replaced it but I had them pick up the replacement due to light bleed.

79" 900b will be here tomorrow.

what I mean is, when somebody returns a defective set, do they just re-seal the box and sell it to the next person as new or it's returned back to the manufacturer? or maybe sold as an open box item.

just wondering!

Also, do they charge you a fee every time you ask them to come to your place to exchange the defective set?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I also remember there was another source that was being added for 4K but I haven't heard anything since the initial announcement. Has anybody heard anything?
You're probably thinking of Ultraflix, which if memory serves was either Sony-owned or Sony-exclusive. Was supposed to launch before year's end. I've heard nothing but crickets chirping on that front.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You're probably thinking of Ultraflix, which if memory serves was either Sony-owned or Sony-exclusive. Was supposed to launch before year's end. I've heard nothing but crickets chirping on that front.
Yep, Ultraflix. I thought we would have heard something by now but it's been radio silence since the announcement a couple months ago.

I'm looking forward to trying Amazon's 4K streaming. Hopefully that will launch soon.

·
Registered
337 Posts
How do you down load these demos on a USB drive to see it on the TV? Thanks.
download the video (with mp4 extension) you want, put it in a USB stick, put the USB stick in the TV, enjoy. ;)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
download the video (with mp4 extension) you want, put it in a USB stick, put the USB stick in the TV, enjoy. ;)
Enjoy? Not so much actually. I've asked this question twice here now and only received crickets chirping in response:

*ALL* 4K content played from USB exhibits audio stuttering on my set. I've tried USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0. I've formatted NTFS and EX-FAT. No go. 1080p content from USB plays fine, just not 4K.

The audio will play find for the first 10 seconds or so and then start breaking up, almost as if it's a bandwidth or processing bottleneck issue.

No external audio equipment; TV and wireless sub only.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Enjoy? Not so much actually. I've asked this question twice here now and only received crickets chirping in response:

*ALL* 4K content played from USB exhibits audio stuttering on my set. I've tried USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0. I've formatted NTFS and EX-FAT. No go. 1080p content from USB plays fine, just not 4K.

The audio will play find for the first 10 seconds or so and then start breaking up, almost as if it's a bandwidth or processing bottleneck issue.

No external audio equipment; TV and wireless sub only.
this is strange. I can play without problems any mp4 4K file I put in the USB key.

if you want we can make one last attempt: we can choose a specific file, downloaded from the same source, and try it: if in my set will be play fine and not on your one, maybe your set is faulty and needs assistance..

4761 - 4780 of 6557 Posts